Break the set or sell it intact?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
DMB

Break the set or sell it intact?

Post by DMB »

Can anyone give me an idea on what some of these mint sets go for? I have several that have scrolling.
CA43A2CA-92FA-4A0E-8BC9-68CD61856275.jpeg
Attachments
DDFE1134-BFB9-48BF-B916-0B7EB2E6D7FD.jpeg
6674F807-8DC5-46EC-A956-C04ADC66238F.jpeg
9829F87B-5E85-4FF5-AEC6-5A0932D4E221.jpeg
011750FF-8390-4967-A12B-598A1E263FB1.jpeg
C6652959-F054-46F2-BE9E-CE6B004DCB63.jpeg
A5DF15EB-1883-4F73-86EC-4A7B5F4EFC4A.jpeg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Break the set or sell it intact?

Post by garddogg56 »

Meant to be a set....
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Those always do better sold individually, at least for the big knife sellers on EBay. You don’t see the big sellers selling entire sets but individually. To a collector it’s always nice to have a complete set but you asked which is better and if you are looking at dollars and cents, break them up.
By the way, these are not Case Classics. Case Classics were made by Queen, these look to all have been made after that era and were made by Case.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

If you are satisfied with the amount of money you get when selling as a set that would
be wonderful. There are not too many sets around any more. Looks like everyone
is breaking them up.

Bob
DMB

Post by DMB »

I can certainly appreciate that… I’ll ensure these go to someone who appreciates them as they are in the set. Hopefully, they will be a set for years to come. Sorry for posting in the wrong category… new guy mistake. Any idea what I should be asking for these?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The values are going to vary widely depending on the knives in the set. Probably the highest value set would be the stags. Unfortunately finding comparable sales from which to set values is difficult on the sets, because most are broken and the knives sold individually.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
DMB

Post by DMB »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:06 am The values are going to vary widely depending on the knives in the set. Probably the highest value set would be the stags. Unfortunately finding comparable sales from which to set values is difficult on the sets, because most are broken and the knives sold individually.

Ken
Hey Ken,

That makes sense; I couldn’t find any to get a bearing on value. Is $1,000 too much to ask for something like the Stag set?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

DMB, Check your PMs.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I see there are different opinions about this. If I may chime in here:

You will probably get more overall if you sell each knife individually, but here's something you might want to consider. Selling each knife by itself will take a lot more work. You will have to list each knife (44), box up each knife (44), create a shipping label (44), and then mail it off (44X).

Considering how many knives you have in total, that's a big job.

And after you're done, you'll have to sell each display case (5) as well, (assuming you don't wan't them). Do you really want to go through all that drama? If so, great!! If not, then you already know the answer to your question.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Sweetpieces4you

Post by Sweetpieces4you »

I have to ask, are you a seller of knives ?? Have you ever sold knives on EBay or AAPK, etc before ?? It comes down to Money and Sense ( Common Sense ). How much you paid ( if any ) to how much you want to make or at least have the opportunity to make. I have sold 50 to 60 sets this year alone mostly Case XX and Schrade, etc ,some fully intact and others broken up. So I have (seller knowledge) of what should be done with most of your sets. Once broke the displays are basically worthless as each of those displays is for that particular knife set !!! And wrapping and shipping 44 knives is nothing. It’s not like you would be selling them all the same day. I have shipped well over 44 knives in a single day. To be honest EBay is where you should take the sets and where you will have the best opportunity to make the most money !! That Stag set will bring more than $1,000 sold individually !! That Congress knife alone is a $250.00 Plus Knife on EBay . If you would like to know more by all means message me ::tu::
harrasta

Post by harrasta »

If the knives are a numbered set and all the knives have the same serial numbers I think I would sell those as a set and for the rest I would break up.

Terry

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”