Post Your Tactical Folders

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Post Your Tactical Folders

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks John. It is interesting to me that comparatively little attention is given to tactical pocket knives here in the AAPK. I think I understand the reasons for that, but I wonder if more effort in that area might attract a larger following of younger (comparatively) collectors with more contemporary tastes.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:49 pm Thanks John. It is interesting to me that comparatively little attention is given to tactical pocket knives here in the AAPK. I think I understand the reasons for that, but I wonder if more effort in that area might attract a larger following of younger (comparatively) collectors with more contemporary tastes.

I agree, QS, it seems the "kids" are into these more so than older collectors into Traditional knives. But then you also have the GEC loyals, not sure about the collector demographics there? 🤔
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
MissouriGuerrilla

Post by MissouriGuerrilla »

I'm split down the middle between traditional and tactical. I appreciate a good classic traditional knife, but some of those tacticals are pretty cool. But I'm not a big fan of the real wild, overly decorated tacticals.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It is the one hand opening of modern patterns that I find most useful.
Samb

Post by Samb »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:25 pm It is the one hand opening of modern patterns that I find most useful.
Same here and no more cutting than I do I don't need more than one blade.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

When traditional knives try to incorporate one-hand opening, or tactical knife makers try slipjoints or traditional-inspired knives, it just plain looks awkward.

I usually do both. I'm moving more towards fixed blades vs. one-hand openers around the farm.

However, a tactical knife for ease of opening and in a steel capable of taking on heavy cutting (I lean more toward tough steels over anything else--like D2, M4, and the new all-around steel CPM-Magnacut) and a mid-sized traditional knife for the detailed tasks gets the job done.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

When there is danger of clothing getting caught in machinery, two fixed blades make very good sense.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:09 pm When traditional knives try to incorporate one-hand opening, or tactical knife makers try slipjoints or traditional-inspired knives, it just plain looks awkward.
I have the Case Trapper Lock and it's handy for me and works really well. Arthritis in my right hand makes me appreciate one hand openers. I also had a Benchmade 585 Black out a really great tactical. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Painter80

Post by Painter80 »

Maserin Stiletto folder
Attachments
20220320_171653.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

P1030556 (2).JPG
P1030883 (2).JPG
001.jpg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:45 pm P1030556 (2).JPGP1030883 (2).JPG001.jpg
👍😙👍
John 🍺
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

::tu::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Older Cold Steel Voyager L, thinking from the early '00s. 5 1/8" closed, 4" blade. And to think, it's not even the biggest one!

Steel is VG-1, and it's Japanese-made. It's a tank, comfortable to use, opens quickly, and is light for its huge size. Plus, it's pinned, and the only screws are on the clip, which are #1 Phillips, which means that if I need to tighten the clip, the tool required is easy to find (I've ordered some combination T6/T8 wrenches to resolve that issue with my other folders).
KIMG0138.JPG
KIMG0139.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Most all my tacticals were posted on Dec. 29 and Mar. 20. Haven't added any since then.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice tanto, cody. ::tu:: ::tu::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

I will admit, that sometimes I am a little slow. However, I have spent the last 15 months mulling over the difference in tactical and tool and want to know if I got it right. ;)
Attachments
DSCN30~2.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I don't feel inclined to make a distinction based on size. But I take your point that such a distinction can be made. For me, if a classification is desirable for some reason, I would make it based on my intent for the knife.

Here is my reasoning. Virtually any knife can be employed in a tactical manner regardless of size, although if the intended purpose of a knife is for, say self defense, i.e. tactical, it will usually tend to be on the large size. I have no expectation of using any of my traditional knives tactically, but rather for their utility and therefore could classify them as utility knives or as tools; even very large traditional ones.

At times, I have carried knives for explicitly tactical purposes, i.e. self defense. I think of those knives as tactical because of the purpose for which I carry them.

There are certainly no rules about how you classify your knives and I hope you feel free to do so in any manner that satisfies you. ::handshake::
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:16 pm I don't feel inclined to make a distinction based on size. But I take your point that such a distinction can be made. For me, if a classification is desirable for some reason, I would make it based on my intent for the knife.

Here is my reasoning. Virtually any knife can be employed in a tactical manner regardless of size, although if the intended purpose of a knife is for, say self defense, i.e. tactical, it will usually tend to be on the large size. I have no expectation of using any of my traditional knives tactically, but rather for their utility and therefore could classify them as utility knives or as tools; even very large traditional ones.

At times, I have carried knives for explicitly tactical purposes, i.e. self defense. I think of those knives as tactical because of the purpose for which I carry them.

There are certainly no rules about how you classify your knives and I hope you feel free to do so in any manner that satisfies you. ::handshake::
I appreciate that. I have to tell you, that I am a long time "gun guy" and a relative newbie "knife guy wannabe." In the gun world, tactical is easily confused with tacticool. (think mall-guard ninja) It seems to me, and I may be wrong, that in this case, tactical seems to differentiate a tool from a weapon, but I could be wrong. I have carried a pocket knife, every day, for over 60 years, and I have never considered one to be a weapon and therefore not in the tactical sphere as I am suggesting that may be the criteria here. Now, I do carry a .45, and believe me, it is a weapon, not a tool, self defense is its only purpose, and I swear that I have never cleaned my fingernails with it. Now, to me, that is tactical. ;)

And, for the record, one of the knives above has a pocket clip. The other doesn't. (that was one of the criteria listed)

I know that it is all just semantics and doesn't really matter.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Both are tactical and every knife is a tool. 😉👍👍

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Picked up an Ontario RAT II today. I wanted the full-size RAT, but upon seeing it in person at a local cutlery store, I decided it was too big. The RAT II looked tiny in comparison, but it's still what I'd call a full-size knife at 4" closed.

I am surprised these are just sub-$40 knives most places (I paid $37 plus tax). Yes, the handles are nylon plastic on this model, but they seem to have a similar feel and texture to G-10.

The action is incredibly satisfying. It is super-smooth.
IMG_20220902_122737.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Cool knife, cody. 😎👍

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Reviving a dead thread? I'm totin' this one today, thankfully not at work! ::mdm::
Attachments
IMG_20230607_080319175.jpg
IMG_20230607_080252649.jpg

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Vaquero 001.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sweet Cold Steel, QS! ::tu::

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

iF I WERE TO CHOOSE A KNIFE FOR SPECIFICALLY TACTICAL PURPOSES IT WOULD HAVE A RECURVE BLADE SUCH AS THE ONE ABOVE. THE REASON IS THAT MY FIGHTING "STYLE" IS ONE OF SELF DEFENSE, I.E. I LET THE AGGRESSOR COME TO ME. MY TARGETS WILL BE HIS HANDS AND WRISTS. I WILL NOT BE TRYING TO STAB OR THRUST AT HIM AS THEN I AM VULNERABLE TO GETTING CUT.

FOR YEARS, INSTRUCTORS HAVE TAUGHT THAT "IF YOU ARE IN A KNIFE FIGHT YOU MUST EXPECT TO GET CUT. I DISAGREE.

IF YOU ATTEMPT TO USE OFFENSIVE THRUSTS, YES YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE CUT. BUT IF YOU FIGHT PURELY DEFENSIVELY (HANDS AND WRISTS) ONE NEED NOT GET CUT YET THE OPPONENT CAN BE RENDERED HELPLESS.

THE ONLY INSTRUCTOR I FOUND WHO AGREES WITH ME IS LYNN THOMPSON.

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”