Any knives with BG42 steel blades ? Let's see them here.

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Any knives with BG42 steel blades ? Let's see them here.

Post by koldgold »

I would like information on a Buck 532, dose it have a BG42 steel blade. ::shrug::
Post you BG42 steel bladed knife here, it would be good to see some of these knives.
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
Darksev

Re: Any knives with BG42 steel blades ? Let's see them here.

Post by Darksev »

BG42 is an interesting steel, to say the least. Latrobe makes/made it, and while the chemical properties make for a better blade than most of the entry stainless steels (400 series, VG10, ats34 154CM) it's a rarity in the knife world. Very few people are using it anymore, as the cost and availability isn't so great. S30V, CPM154 are pretty much the gold standard nowadays. Chris Reeve used BG42 in the Sebenza's for a while, before he switched to S30V.

Edge holding is pretty good, it finishes very well IMO, and I don't find it horribly difficult to sharpen. That being said, I've only got one knife in BG42 (and I'm a steel junkie, so that should say alot about it's rarity) and it's a Case slimlock I rebuilt a few years ago. I carried it a bit, the steel held up well, and it's since been retired to the display case.

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”