Tomahawks, suggest or MAKE me one

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
allmightyoz

Tomahawks, suggest or MAKE me one

Post by allmightyoz »

Any suggestions on a vintage tomahawk or experience with a new tomahawk? I want to get one to use, and i think the M48 hawk is really cool looking, but I don't trust the plastic handle. Cold Steel's hawks just look lacking to me and cheap. I would much rather have something vintage, better steel, charm, with a bit/point combination and WOOD handle capable of being wedged, but maybe even a double bit hatchet weighted for throwing would be great.

Has anyone had experience with throwing various hawks/hatchets? Any suggestions for what would be ideal? Also, anyone capable of making me a hawk?

There's a mass without roofs. There's a prison to fill. There's a country's soul that reads post no bills. There's a strike and a line of cops outside of the mill. There's a right to obey and a right to kill.
elbertson

Re: Tomahawks, suggest or MAKE me one

Post by elbertson »

This looks sexy to me
t70-1.jpg
You can find it here: http://www.north-river-custom-knives.co ... er3-1.html
The beatings will continue until morale has improved...
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

What are you going to use it for?

How much/little do you wish to invest?

Most 'hawks aren't really good at any one job other than looking neat. They're difficult to use as a hatchet for wood cutting due to their light weight. Splitting a pelvis on deer or elk is a pretty easy chore with one. If all you want to do is throw it, then there are lots of them that look traditional and made in India or Pakistan that will do the job for not much money.

I'm fond of the bearded axes myself;

from
http://www.forgedintime.com/

If you want a hand forged one they aren't cheap.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
allmightyoz

Post by allmightyoz »

going to use it for throwing, no wood chopping or anything. I have a gamble's artisan for that. Want to spend under a hundred, particularly around 75 but up to 100 if the extra investment is worth it.

I like the m48 hawk, just unsure about the plastic handle.

that bearded is nice too btw.
There's a mass without roofs. There's a prison to fill. There's a country's soul that reads post no bills. There's a strike and a line of cops outside of the mill. There's a right to obey and a right to kill.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I've thrown a tub full of 'hawks in years past.

The cheapies with the wood handles will work great. Handles are easy to replace too. ;)

They look traditional and I'd say you could get 3 or 4 for under a hundred.

We used to try to cut each other's handles when we got likkered up and decided to throw hawks. Was great fun.

Just speaking strictly for me, I'd be hesitant to throw a hawk that cost as much as you're thinking about spending. I've seen 'em bounce off and hit stuff they were never meant to hit and get screwed up. Just something to think about.

IF I was to get in a bind and had to use a hawk for defense or offense, I sure as HELL wouldn't throw it. With my luck, I'd miss and then I'd have to hope it got greased good because I figure whoever I missed just might want to stick where the sun don't shine. ::woot::
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”