CRKT or Kershaw help

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
rschuch

CRKT or Kershaw help

Post by rschuch »

First off, I know NOTHING about tactical brands - I'm a traditional GEC, Queen, Case guy.
BUT after going to my dad's house last weekend and seeing his choice of knives, I think tactical is the way to go and, after perusing for the past week, I figured I should pick up a smattering for myself and a co-worker since they're CHEAP!

SO, trying to keep with USA, I got my Dad a Kershaw Whirlwind (he likes switchblades) and myself a CRKT M16-13z (which came with a Doolittle 6612 I'll probably give to my buddy). Trouble is, I haven't actually GOTTEN any of them yet, so I have nothing to base any future purchases on until they get here and Christmas is looming.

Someone else asked a similar question and a lot of you answered the Leek was a good buy, as well as Spydercos. The Leek seems a little small to me; I'd like to keep the blade over 3". Kershaw was also suggested in general to keep it USA, but a LOT of the Kershaw blades are Taiwan or China, though I've read the quality coming out of there for these knives is pretty good and to keep from having no choices at all, I'm expanding my pool of possibilities to include them. I'd also like the blade to be interesting, either a tanto or with a distinctive swedge. The more safety features (LAWKS, etc.) the better, since I've read a few (like the Gerber Combat) can open in your pocket, and I'm not in favor of self-applied vasectomies. I've kind of got it narrowed down to the following:

CRKT:
Hammond Cruiser 7904 (3.75" blade!) no spring assist
Crawford Kasper (3.75" blade!) no spring assist
My Tighe 1091K (3.5" blade) spring assist
Ignitor (3.35" blade) spring assist

Kershaw
Leek or Shallot (3" or 3.5" blade) spring assist
BlackWash (3.5" blade) spring assist (I like this blade shape)
Cyro II (3.25" blade) spring assist
Lifter (3.5" blade) spring assist

Any advice on how to sort through these, which have the better features, are the safest to use and will hold up the best or even which should be definitely avoided at all costs would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys!
jmh58

Re: CRKT or Kershaw help

Post by jmh58 »

Well.. Out of what ya have posted.. My pick would be a LEEK.. That said.. Look at Spydercos also.. Dont get all USA only.. There is some really fine knives out of Tawain/China too.. Some of their quality will blow you away!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
rschuch

Post by rschuch »

How did I do with the Whirlwind and the M16-13Z? The Whirlwind is US made, but the M16 is Taiwan. I'm pretty sure that, apart from the Leek and Shallot, all my other choices listed were Chinese.

Any of those I should avoid?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Love my leeks but if you're looking for something more robust in a modern configuration, check into a Buck 297 Sirus A/O, 3¼" blade or Buck 721 - not A/O, 3¼" blade (Walmart version of the 722). Both USA made and very sturdy knives. Plus reasonable to buy.

The Sirus is discontinued but available on eBay.
Attachments
BUCK SIRUS 297RDS ASAP RED AND GOLD.jpg
Buck 721 Slimline Orange (Walmart) - Open Mark.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
rschuch

Post by rschuch »

Cool! Hadn't considered Buck! I like the 721, that it's USA and the thumb opening is sort of Spyderco-ish.

Thanks for ADDING to my list by the way! The choices weren't enough as is! :roll:
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The Buck 721 is inexpensive to try. USA quality at Chinese prices. $32 at Walmart or sometimes less if you look around. The Buck 722 has the same blade but a slightly different handle profile for $30-$40. Again, USA made.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
junebug

Post by junebug »

cool!!! 8) 8)

i i liked the TAILWIND and M-16 ::tu:: (my son still likes the M-16,same w/ a few of his friends) ::nod::

both IMPO = entry level UNITS , and im thinkin yer right on track ::tu::

IF YER LOOKIN FOR MADE IN USA........ THINGS GONNA GET PRICEY , MA FRIEND ::nod::

i like CRKT , cuz they are so so affordable local!!!- i hate their LAWKS feature....it is now manual,use to be auto and was a pain!!!!!!!!- just another gimmick doo-dad in ma way IMPO.........(i like that they have IKBS BALL BEARINGS on several units now) ...see=ripple,wrinkle,ikoma,ikbs,ken onion, mah liong...........

KERSHAW are great.....but like ya noticed the good USA stuff by them is really called a ZT (ZERO TOLERANCE)-great brand with many many options - try a CRYO( several versions)...see-leek,SHALLOT,SPEEDSAFE,CRYO,BLUR,ECHELON,ZT

SPYDERCO- this is where ALL MY EXTRA CASH goes these days- NUFF SAID ::super_happy::
SEE- ALL OF EM- country of origin dont matter here!!!! 8)

BENCHMADE - THEY LIKE TO COPY OTHER COMPANIES TRADEMARKS ...BUT HEY,PPL LIKE EM ::paranoid:: ...LOLOLOL they are good knives, just ribbin those collectors :mrgreen: (p.s.- buy spyderco)

H&K - heckler and koch , these are made by benchmade, their economy line, but very popular local
and seem to be the NEW KID IN TOWN...............very affordable LOCAL for me ($25 range) see- review thread i have done several reviews on several patterns :mrgreen:

SOG- never got into em....but ppl rave about em ::nod:: see- flash(ALOT MORE BUT THIS YA HERE ABOUT MOST)

GERBER- hate ta say it.,......but most their stuff i have handled (NEW STUFF) is JUNK....FLAT OUT ::tear:: ( RUN AWAY....AND RUN FAST!)

BUCK- another company i never really got into maself, but ppl like em ::nod:: SEE- VANTAGE, or jerryd hehehe he always talkin these thangs up :mrgreen:

in the end......BUY WHAT CATCHES YER EYE.....not all USA "based" companies sell just USA KNIVES, RESEARCH THE KNIFE, MOST ARE GONNA BE IMPORTS aka - economy line ::nod:: ......get a feel fer whats out there.......then take the PLUNGE on a higher end "TACTICAL" i hate that name ::undecided:: ......."POCKET CLIP KNIFE" ::super_happy::

::handshake:: have fun bro!!!! they are fun, and nice users!!!! EVEN THE CHINA units AND ESPECIALLY THE TAIWAN STUFF!!!!..........I ACTUALLY SEEK OUT TAIWAN in the "tacti-cool" ::facepalm:: / "POCKET CLIP KNIFE" ::super_happy:: ::tu:: import knives

(FOR JUST GETTIN INTO THEM, NOW THAT I TALKED TO MY SON(21),we both hammered out............... KERSHAW & CRKT are yer best bet(in our opinion)! ....if ya can get HK stuff in yer area,they are hot now, and very well made,from all we have had (atleast 50)........)
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
rschuch

Post by rschuch »

Thanks for the in depth reply and suggestions! Like you said, looks like I'm on the right track, at least as far as the cheap seats go. At $10 - $25 a pop on the Bay, I may get a few to try out and give the so-so ones away. The Cyro II is on the list as well as the Leek now.

I'm expecting the Whirlwind today and the M16 early next week, so I may just wait and try both out and see if I prefer the flipper or the speed assist and base any further choices after that.
junebug

Post by junebug »

8) ::tu:: ::nod::
yeah bro.....wait and mess with those two..........it will help ya out QUITE A BIT!!

it is fun for me and my son to try em out..........FLIPPER,STUD,DISC,HOLE,RAMP,LINER LOCK,LOCK BACK, HECK..............YOU WILL NEVER KNOW UNLESS YA TRY EM!!! ::ds::
I HAVE FUN TRYIN' THEM OUT........... 8)
IF ITS NOT MA DEAL.......OR SONS........ WE FLIP THEM ONLINE OR TRADE EM FOR SOMETHIN ELSE TO TRY.......here in my area, there are ZERO TRADITIONAL FOLDERS, AND VERY FEW POCKET CLIP style......so i get what i can...and TRY OUT THE REST VIA THE INTRA-WEB-AGE :mrgreen:
I FIND THEM USEFUL & FUN!!!!!

i will say- try ta snag a SPYDERCO used on ebay...........like a DELICA 4 (full flat grind)
under $40.............i think you will like it...(ONE OF MY FAV'S)
NO FRILLS,SLICER N DICER,LIGHT AS A FEATHER,JOY TA CARRY N USE 8)

CRKT- is one of my fav brands ,i think they are a underdog......which i LIKE......very affordable.....
early ones(discontinued) some are ats-34 steel=most unmarked ,can tell by blade coating.......very innovative.........cool designs.......popular maker colabs.......well made......good f&f........AND DID I MENTION VERY AFFORDABLE :mrgreen: ...... I REALLY DIG LIONG MAH's (MAKER NAME) STUFF HE IS DOIN WITH THEM FOR COLLABERATIONS 8) 8)

HAVE FUN BRO ::handshake::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I like all of your options. I have lots of Kershaws and love them all. Columbia River Knife and Tool makes a great product, I never go to work without my razel. Not a tac but a great knife. The SOG Flash II is awesome. I pack it along with my Seal Pup fixed blade. Has a safety built in the handle, no accidents here! But my favorite tac is the Camillus Heat. If can find one get it! I bought several to put back because I love them. Mine has been my hiking knife of choice for many years. It 4 and 1/2 inches long closed and D. Ralph design to boot. Made in Taiwan. It tough as hell. I have used and abused it for a long time and it still works like new.

Randy
rschuch

Post by rschuch »

My buddy at work is a Spyderco freak - I'm sure he'll steer me in the right direction. The Delico 4 seems a bit, well, delicate for me. The blade is a little small. The Liong Mah knives I saw, designs 5 and 6, were also kind of small at 2.75", though I agree on the design - very nice. The Eraser tanto has a blade of 4" and looked SUPER sweet, but the prices started at $45, which is a little rich for a "try it out", at least right now. Santa IS scheduled to make a stop, though. Maybe if I sneak it on my list.... Just gotta hide all the knives I've bought already!!!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

You do gotta be careful of fakes on e-bay.. :x All brands.. Know what you are looking at.. ::nod:: John :D

junebug

Post by junebug »

NICE!!! ::tu::

on delica- def not DELICATE, IMPO (thin yes)....... and PERFECT size for me ,personally :mrgreen:
check out the ENDURA ::tu:: - heheh ask yer buddy,if a guy aint a delica man,he a endura dude.....just THE WAY IT GOES it seems....lololol ::tu::

yeah some of the nicer stuff is better ta try an snag USED...(price wise)...how me n my son do it , IF we can. ::nod::

@ goldpan : the CRKT RAZEL is sweet!!!! the larger g10 & the lil bone one both 8) 8) ...........
i like alot of james williams stuff they( CRKT) have too......HEIHO is pretty cool 8)

@ JOHN : TOO TRUE!!!!
- Junebug 2016
rschuch

Post by rschuch »

DEFINITELY used! It's THE way to go. All these knives I'm looking at are anywhere from $35-$85 new and I'm finding them for $8-$20. If they start getting over $16 or so I just delete them (though the My Tighe 1091 is up around $20 right now - but it's so COOL looking!)

I have absolutely NO IDEA how to identify fakes. Any assistance would be appreciated. Like I said, I've never even handled one of these before, I'm just going by photos on the Bay. Would fakes tend to be sold as new to maximize profit?!?

So, fakes aside, is the consensus that any one of the knives I listed is about as good as the other? Apart from assisted opening or flipper, smooth or combo blade, satin or black finish, tanto or spear point, they all seem about the same to me. Should I just get the one that looks the most appealing to me at the cheapest price? Or should I get one of each to MAKE SURE I get the BEST one?

Just FYI, I started off this thread with 8 knives in my "Watched" list. Now I have 18. Y'all are NOT helping! :wink:
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

rschuch wrote: Just FYI, I started off this thread with 8 knives in my "Watched" list. Now I have 18. Y'all are NOT helping! :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: You're welcome.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

If ya like the Kershaw line try the Blur comfortable,good size, and is AO ::nod:: ALL KIND IF BLADE DESIGNS.
Attachments
fall 2014 007.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
junebug

Post by junebug »

CHURCH, I TOTALLY FERGOT............................... ::dang::

BYRD KNIVES!!!!!!!!

SPYDERCO ECONOMY LINE!!!!!! ::groove:: ::ds::
I LIKE THE G10 HANDLED ONES BEST ::nod::
BUT FRN IS LIGHT AND GREAT STUFF ::tu::
- Junebug 2016
rschuch

Post by rschuch »

Well, all 3 three I purchased came in the mail today, so I can comment with at least a little experience now as far as what I like and what I'd like in my next purchase (and I'm leaning heavily towards the My Tighe).

I like the AO on the Kershaw Whirlwind and the combo blade style. What I don't like is the cheapo plastic handle. When you close the knife it just sounds hollow and empty. I'm used to traditionals, so I like some heft to a knife and this is just a lightweight. That said, it's for my Dad and I'm trying to encourage him to use it as his EDC, so we'll see.

The CRKT M16-13Z has the spearpoint blade and is a flipper. When it came in the mail, it didn't flip and the LAWKS lever seemed stuck, but someone had just tweaked down the pivot screw. I loosened it up, hit it with some gun oil and everything works fine. It doesn't flip as easily as I thought it would, but at 3.5" I like the blade size and satin finish, and the handle is ok, so I can picture myself carrying this occasionally.

The last one I got is the CRKT Doolittle, which was going to be a gift for my Spyderco pal, but he's kind of picky (he had a $100+ Spyderco he lost), so I'm not sure if I should keep it and just get him a 6-pack of craft beer, because I REALLY like this knife! It's a little smaller than I'd like and isn't anything but a regular linerlock (no AO or flipper bearings), but it has thick solid steel handles (410 perhaps?) that give it some heft and a SENSE OF PURPOSE, know what I mean? I just like the feel of it in my hand, better than the Whirlwind, which has all the bells and whistles.

So, knowing my AO Whirlwind is going bye-bye, I'd like to get another AO, but with some heft or at least stainless handles, which sounds like I want a Leek or Shallot (I'm not sure how heavy the My Tighe is). Some like the Hammond Cruiser have the Zytel handles, so I may steer away from those. What I'm curious about are some of the Blackwash varieties with aluminum handles, which appear they'd be heavier than a plastic handle, but hollow aluminum reminds me of your typical carpet knife and I'm not crazy about that, either.

I don't really like the Spyderco blade style. Don't know why, which is another reason I may keep the Doolittle - there's a definite taste difference going on here.
junebug

Post by junebug »

::hmm:: ......... assist open

KERSHAW: look for models marked : SPEEDSAFE
shallot (sweet knife,FLIPPER 8) )
echelon (funky but a fav knife of mine)
blur (nice one!!,but the grippy scale inserts shred pockets)
leek (a lil small 4 me, but awesome EDC knife)
cryo ( cool lil knife ,& HOT RIGHT NOW, 2 sizes , G10 avail,FLIPPER 8) )
KERSHAW/EMERSON COLLABS- (new , hot!!, many choices-i have not even handled one yet)
scrambler (nice knife!!!)

CRKT: look for models marked : OUTBURST
carson M4
heiho
endorser
ignitor

I WOULD GO SHALLOT OR CRYO NEXT........... ::nod:: , YOU WILL DIG "FLIPPER" ALONG WITH A ASSISTED OPEN CLIP KNIFE,IMPO 8) ::tu::
- Junebug 2016
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Flipper.... DOMINO!!!!!!! ::facepalm:: ::ds:: John :D

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Some specs on the Kershaw Shallot, the largest in Kershaw's Onion line, which can be had with or without a partially serrated blade.

Made in the USA
• SpeedSafe® assisted opening
• Frame lock (older models - liner lock)
• Reversible (tip-up/tip-down) pocketclip
• Steel: 14C28N, bead-blasted finish
• Handle: 410 stainless steel, bead-blasted finish
• Blade length: 3.5 in. (8.9 cm)
• Closed length: 4.4 in. (11.1 cm)
• Overall length: 7.9 in. (20 cm)
• Weight: 4.2 oz. (119 g)
Attachments
DSC04814.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
rschuch

Post by rschuch »

junebug wrote:::hmm:: ......... assist open

KERSHAW: look for models marked : SPEEDSAFE
shallot (sweet knife,FLIPPER 8) )
echelon (funky but a fav knife of mine)
blur (nice one!!,but the grippy scale inserts shred pockets)
leek (a lil small 4 me, but awesome EDC knife)
cryo ( cool lil knife ,& HOT RIGHT NOW, 2 sizes , G10 avail,FLIPPER 8) )
KERSHAW/EMERSON COLLABS- (new , hot!!, many choices-i have not even handled one yet)
scrambler (nice knife!!!)

CRKT: look for models marked : OUTBURST
carson M4
heiho
endorser
ignitor

I WOULD GO SHALLOT OR CRYO NEXT........... ::nod:: , YOU WILL DIG "FLIPPER" ALONG WITH A ASSISTED OPEN CLIP KNIFE,IMPO 8) ::tu::

Thanks SO MUCH for the list again! I have a Cyro II on my list (blackened, not baked!) and have since added a Blur and Scrambler. I'm having trouble finding a Shallot super cheap, but I like that it has the 410 steel handles, so I may have to hold out until a used one comes available, or just plunk down the extra change for a new one. The Endorser has a nice look to it as well - I like the graduated colors on the handle, but it seems most of the CRKT are more $ (though not by much) than the Kershaw. I do have an Ignitor on my list as well.

Thanks so much for all your help, guys! All the suggestions and specs really helped, ... me add a whole bunch more knives to my list! But seriously, I think my new list items are a lot closer to what I'll like (not that I'm terribly disappointed with anything I've got so far).

I'll keep ya'll posted.

The thing about the Bay is all the suggestions at the bottom. I thought this one looked interesting, even though it's not AO or a flipper. Just the blade shape made me think "Tacticool!"
CRKT Bladelock Michael Walker Collector's 3.25" Half-Serrated Folding Knife
rschuch

Post by rschuch »

Well, I've "invested" in two more, POSSIBLY three more tacticool knives. I'll discuss them when they get here, but I got a CRKT My Tighe (3.625" blade, satin finish plain edge) and a Kershaw Kuro (3.125" all black tanto). Both have speed assist, the My Tighe has only thumbstuds while the Kuro has a flipper. My Dad is left-handed and was the main reason I got the Kuro, which has a repositionable belt clip in three positions. I originally had intended the Whirlwind for him, and even changed the thumbstud around to a left flip, but I bitched up the top of the screw a little (not a lot, but I don't know if I could change it back to a righty - might have to contact Kershaw for a replacement screw if I need to) and the clip only has the one position which interferes with the thumbstud on the same side. I may give it to him and give him a choice between it or the Kuro (I don't know if he's a Tanto fan). The clip comes off easily, but then you have three holes which are brass lined so they really stand out. I was thinking of switching the clip to the other side, but it wouldn't be brass-lined holes and I don't want to ruin it any more than I have to.
Any advice from lefties out there?
rschuch

Post by rschuch »

Just thought I'd update my tactical knife explorations. This is what I've gotten so far, minus the Whirlwind and Otanashi-noh-ken, both of which I gave to my dad as presents.

Pretty happy with everything so far! I got the Sampa, though I might have preferred the Fossil with the Veff serrations, but it's a fun, light little knife. I can recommend any of the pictured ones without hesitation.

I think my next purchase MAY be the CRKT Deviation. It just came out, so I'll probably wait until some used ones start popping up, but it has a VERY different futuristic look and I love the two-toned blade.

Also like the Emerson Persian folding knife, which reminds me a bit of the Otanashi, but at $225 or so, I doubt that one will be on my list any time soon.
Attachments
tactical knives so far.jpg

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”