Fox Karambit 599XT

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
BCGlocker

Fox Karambit 599XT

Post by BCGlocker »

I just purchased a Fox Karambit 599XT and the trainer, 599XTTK. Both are so stiff that even they are partially open, I cannot lock in with a wrist flick. One of them I can't even depress the blade release button on the spine (they are back-lock design) with knife thumb. I read that they need to be "break-in". What exact is break-in? Do I need to work the blade in and out for weeks or do I need to oil it? It is annoying after spending $300 and got two knives that don't work as advertised.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Fox Karambit 599XT

Post by Dinadan »

I do not know about with your particular knife, but some knives that I have owned became easier to open after many, many openings and closings. I have tried coating the joint with a metal polish and then opening and closing a few hundred times, then cleaning and oiling. That might help. And I did not say it was easy.

My rule of thumb is that if I buy a cheap knife and it is too stiff, then that is because it is a POS. If I buy an expensive knife and it is too stiff, then I just need to break it in ...
Mel
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Dinadan wrote:I do not know about with your particular knife, but some knives that I have owned became easier to open after many, many openings and closings. I have tried coating the joint with a metal polish and then opening and closing a few hundred times, then cleaning and oiling. That might help. And I did not say it was easy.

My rule of thumb is that if I buy a cheap knife and it is too stiff, then that is because it is a POS. If I buy an expensive knife and it is too stiff, then I just need to break it in ...
Thank you.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I have a Fox karambit liner lock. I don't have the model number at this time. It is also very tight. I lubed it with Quick Release, but still tight. I just keep working it. Hopefully it will loosen up.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just be aware Fox knives are counterfeited -a lot. Including the Karambits. Not saying yours is fake, but be aware the Chinese are up to their usual tricks! ::barf::

https://www.foxcutlery.com/n/en/c/3hrct ... -fkmd.html

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

The Fox I have is Model 479. It is definitely legit.
I also have a counterfeit Fox karambit. I knew it was a fake when I purchased it.
Unfortunately the fake is a high quality knife and I could see how someone could be fooled if they didn't know what they were looking at.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

I bought mine from The Ultimate Knives, the sole distributor for the Fox 599XT. I wish there were someone else carry it so the price can be more competitive.

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”