Removing Glass Breakers

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
cody6268

Removing Glass Breakers

Post by cody6268 »

Am I the only one who removes the glass breakers/window punches from knives? Most of the ones I have on it were bought for farm work, and they aren't carried in public that often. They're big knives, and thus not practical to EDC, either. I keep this one in my farm coat, and it was poking my pocket, and with time, would have ripped a hole in a $120 coat (which I bought in sale during summer at a feed store that didn't move clothes that well for $40). Some remove easily, others don't. When I first tried to remove the window punch from this knife, it wouldn't budge. Gripped a bit better this try, and it unscrewed right out.

This knife replaced a Kershaw Funxion EMT that I didn't like the build quality on; which in turn, replaced a German-made Skedco Warfighter Extreme Medicine (modified Eickhorn PRT-IV) I lost a couple screws in storage, when the lid came off the box it was in. I'd disassembled it to replace the small snap-off hobby knife blade sections it used as a strap cutter. That one I hope I can fix, as it's a $200 knife from Skedco, $180 from Eickhorn, but for a short time, could be picked up as surplus for $30 or less. It was a knife that, in my opinion, is a perfect duty knife for anyone in the emergency services. Opens fast, awesome with gloves on, and a glass breaker designed to not wreck clothing, but work when needed.

The downside is not having a glass breaker when needed. Most new cars have laminated side windows, so it's useless anyway. And, the knives I've removed them from were too big for EDC.
KIMG2732.JPG
KIMG2733.JPG
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Removing Glass Breakers

Post by edge213 »

I was career firefighter for 34 years. If a knife had a window breaker I left in on.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I have a couple of those and I keep one in the console of the car and the
other is in my handgun range bag, didn't know what else to do with it.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Interesting thread, cody. The problem on some knives might be that the glass breaker holds the pocket clip on, so removing the breaker means no pocket clip. I guess one could visit a hardware store and pick up a much more lower profiled screw through and still have a clip.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I've always wondered...if a regular knife (lock back would be best) and a quick jab would work just as well? I'd certainly be trying if I ever encountered a situation that required it. ::shrug::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Doc B wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:00 pm I've always wondered...if a regular knife (lock back would be best) and a quick jab would work just as well? I'd certainly be trying if I ever encountered a situation that required it. ::shrug::
No, a regular knife tip works nothing like a glass breaker.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

edge213 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:37 am
Doc B wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:00 pm I've always wondered...if a regular knife (lock back would be best) and a quick jab would work just as well? I'd certainly be trying if I ever encountered a situation that required it. ::shrug::
No, a regular knife tip works nothing like a glass breaker.
Well...there goes that theory :roll:
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”