My first Cold Steel knives

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
desmobob

My first Cold Steel knives

Post by desmobob »

I usually EDC a modern folder and have been building up a good selection of Benchmade, Emerson, ZT, Spyderco, Kershaw, etc. over the past twenty or thirty years. I also enjoy traditional folders and fixed blades and have a good representation of patterns and brands.

It seems that one of the types not represented in my selection is the "overly large Cold Steel folder." :) Like a lot of folks, I had viewed one of Cold Steel's CD catalogs/brag sessions/side shows many years ago and was kind of turned off. But I keep seeing what seem like legitimate reviewers praising some of Cold Steel's offerings as excellent values and rock-solid knives.

I decided to test the waters with a Recon 1 spear point and a Pocket Bushman. They're on the way... this should be interesting! 8)
Bob

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."
~Rudyard Kipling
Doc B

Re: My first Cold Steel knives

Post by Doc B »

Looking forward to pictures and reviews! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

desmobob, I agree, this will be interesting and I am also looking forward to learning your experience. I have always found them to be rugged, reliable, and often quite original in their offerings.
desmobob

Post by desmobob »

I can hardly wait for them to arrive!

I love the idea of a 4" blade of CPM S35VN with what is known as one of, if not the, strongest locking systems designed, for eighty bucks. That's the Recon 1. The one thing that had kept me away previously was the prominent "Taiwan" on the blade etch. But I guess that's what makes the eighty bucks part of the equation possible.

And the Pocket Bushman... well, it's a one-of-a-kind very large folder (4.5" Krupps 4116) of the French Douk-Douk style with another very strong (but famously inconvenient) locking system. Would you believe twenty-six bucks for that one? It's an oddity I couldn't pass up for the price.

I'll post some photos and impressions.
Bob

~Rudyard Kipling
desmobob

Post by desmobob »

The first of my new Cold Steel knives (the Recon 1) is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. But there was big news today... the company was sold to GSM Outdoors! Many folks fear the new owners will take Cold Steel down the wrong road, cheapening the products to attempt to increase profits.

Of course, I used this news as an excuse to order one more Cold Steel knife (4-Max Scout) just in case... :lol:
Bob

~Rudyard Kipling
desmobob

Post by desmobob »

My Recon 1 spear point folder arrived today. I'm very pleased with it. My first impression was that it was the sharpest knife I've ever taken out of the packaging. (I think the previous holder of that honor was my original Spyderco Manix.) My second impression was that it lacks a little of the smoothness of some higher end knives, but it is well-made and functions perfectly.

It only took me two minutes to draw blood... be sure your index finger is in the finger groove nearest the pivot, NOT in the next one back, when you attempt to let the blade drop and close the knife one-handed. ::doh::

My only complaint is that the lock spring is quite stiff and it takes a serious effort to press the lock deep enough to release it. I'm tempted to thin the spring a bit but I don't know if I want to risk it considering the company's status at the moment. It's not a big deal. When using two hands to close the knife, it's not an issue at all. It's only when I'm trying to close it one-handed that overcoming the spring is a little difficult for me.

I took the knife apart to look at the innards and to see if I could do any smoothing/improving. The only thing I did was to smooth the inside of the liners where the lock bar moves. They were quite rough and the bar didn't move as smoothly as it could have. I also smoothed the area of the handle scale directly under where the pocket clip contacts it to make pocketing the knife easier and to help reduce pocket shredding. I may remove the pocket clip and bend it just the tiniest bit to reduce its tension.

Bottom line: I love the knife. My Pocket Bushman still hasn't arrived. I already have the clip point and tanto blade versions of the Recon 1 on the way, along with a 4-Max Scout and a Pro Lite. It figures... I finally find out that I like the Cold Steel stuff and they may not be available in the current builds in the future. We'll see. Several years ago, I said "Cold Steel would probably be the last knife I'd buy." I've changed my tune...
Bob

~Rudyard Kipling
desmobob

Post by desmobob »

I'm really happy with the Recon 1 knives. I did a little more "tuning up" on them and I think they are a solid deal for the sub-$100 price they're selling for. I removed and bent the Triad lock springs a tiny bit to make the lock release easier to activate. I also removed the pocket clips and bent them out a tiny bit to make the knives easier to pocket. While the clips were off, I smoothed the handle directly under the clip to make it easier on my pockets.

I received a 4 Max Scout on Saturday. This thing is a monster; seemingly unbreakable but still plenty pocketable. I carried it over the weekend and despite its very large size, it is surprisingly practical. It raises a lot of eyebrows when it comes out of the pocket though. Like all the other Cold Steel knives I received, it was extremely sharp (easily and smoothly push-cuts paper and shaves hair) out of the box. It is a very impressive knife and an incredible value, in my opinion. I did the same kind of tuning on it that I did to the Recon 1 knives. It's the most "Cold Steelesque" and Demko-style knife out of the bunch... oversized and overbuilt. In a good way...

The AD-10 arrived today. It is, for the most part, a small step up in fit and finish from the less expensive Recon 1 and 4 Max knives ($139 vs. <$100). The action is a bit smoother and easier to operate and the Triad lock release spring is a little mellower. The only tuning up I did on this knife was to remove the pocket clip and bend it a little to relieve a bit of the clamping pressure it exerts.

My only complaint is that there is a sharp "hammering pommel" or something like that exposed at the end of the handle. Not only is it sharp, but it is a stamped part and mine has a wickedly sharp burr along one edge. I'm pretty sure the material is aluminum that has been blackened/coated and I'm hesitant to remove the burr until I have the proper product to re-blacken/coat the metal. I think the gun products company Birchwood Casey sells an aluminum blackener.

As I'm sure you've heard, Lynn Thompson has sold Cold Steel to an outdoor conglomerate. He and Andrew Demko, the designer of the Recon 1, 4 Max and AD-10, are staying with the company so far. But still, I'm glad I grabbed these knives in case the new owners make drastic changes and they aren't avialable or are cheapened in the future. Right now, I'd call them great values.
(Photos to follow)
Bob

~Rudyard Kipling
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Good rightups desmobob. Looking forward to the photos.
desmobob

Post by desmobob »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:39 pm Good rightups desmobob. Looking forward to the photos.
Thank you. I hope they can be helpful to someone...

Here are the three Recon 1s. (Sorry for the unimaginative photos and poor lighting!)
_Cold Steel.jpg
Tip thickness comparison... The clip point blade (middle) has the thinnest tip. The spear is a tiny bit thicker, while the tanto (far right) maintains its thickness out very close to the tip; very strong. The blade grinds don't show up in the photo but the clip and spear blades have a fairly high flat grind while the tanto has a slight hollow grind. All are very good cutters/slicers.
_Cold Steel_05.jpg
I used to think my ZT 301 was almost too big to carry. Here it is with the AD-10 and Recon 1: (the Cold Steel knives' excellent blade grinds allow them to out-slice the thick blade of the ZR 301)
_Cold Steel_02.jpg
But compared to the 4 Max Scout, it's a gentleman's knife! ::uc::
_Cold Steel_03.jpg
The AD-10, Recon 1 spear point and 4 Max Scout:
_Cold Steel_01.jpg
I am very happy with these knives so far! I didn't think I'd ever want to carry anything other than a liner lock or Axis lock, etc. for EDC but these Triad lock knives are growing on me. It's hard to express just how carryable that huge 4 Max Scout is. It's surprising. I don't think it's too practical for EDC but it's fun to show it off.

I have a Pocket Bushman and a Pro Lite bogged down in shipping somewhere, or I'd include them. Maybe later...
Bob

~Rudyard Kipling
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I don't normally like large knives as they are problematic for me to carry on the hip.I acquired a Cold Steel Recon 1 with the tanto blade and was really surprised at how light it was for it's size.The blade coating was pretty scratched up on it so I removed most of it.It is scary sharp and seems to remain that way although I would admit I haven't tested it too heavily.
Here is a pic before and after cleanup on the blade.
Attachments
ColdSteelRecon1 4 001.jpg
ColdSteelRecon1 4 002.jpg
ColdSteelRecon1BladeFix 001.jpg
ColdSteelRecon1BladeFix 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very fine clean up K7K.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Back in 2012, Cold Steel came out with the Rajah II...a humungous solid knife with a Kukri blade, of which I purchased. It's way too heavy to EDC, but it's the kind of knife one could do some serious damage with. It has a 6" blade and is AUS-10A Japanese steel. Cold Steel had a video of a guy cutting most of the way through a half hog, a large rope and a large bamboo shoot. This knife is designed to carry in one's pocket and the blade is activated to the open position when you pull it out. Watch the video below...if interested.

In 2018, I picked up the Rajah III for $15.00 at a flea market in GREAT condition. The seller didn't know what he had and was just wanting to sell it...at a GREAT price. This was a $75.00 knife at the time.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-Rajah-II--2585
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

This little "tuff lite" is my first and only Cold Steel knife. Originally, I got it to give to a friend, but after seeing what a solid knife it is, I'm thinking about keeping it for my own EDC rotation.

It's light weight, compact and sharp as the dickens. My only complaint is the super stiff lock-back release...it is a bear to press down far enough to unlock the (open) blade. But, at least I know there's no chance the blade will ever accidentally close on my fingers when being used.

P1110040.JPG
P1110033.JPG
P1110034.JPG
P1110036.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

LJ, While it is not my first CS knife, I acquired a Raja I when it first came out. It is spectacular in looks and performance as I am sure your versions are as well.
desmobob

Post by desmobob »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:00 am It's light weight, compact and sharp as the dickens. My only complaint is the super stiff lock-back release...it is a bear to press down far enough to unlock the (open) blade. But, at least I know there's no chance the blade will ever accidentally close on my fingers when being used.
You hit upon two things I'm finding common with Cold Steel knives: 1) They are extremely sharp as shipped. 2) The spring on the Trip-AD locks is usually way too stiff. I take them apart and straighten the spring a tad to make the locking mechanism more manageable. I also polish up the lock bar/blade tang surfaces to make them super smooth.

My collection of Cold Steel stuff has ballooned since I started this thread. I'll try to get them together for a family portrait tomorrow. ::tu::
Bob

~Rudyard Kipling
desmobob

Post by desmobob »

My current Cold Steel family (minus a G.I. Tanto fixed blade and Pocket Bushman, absent from the photo).
Cold Steel knives.JPG
Horizontal knives from the top:
Espada G10 XL
Voyager Vaquero XL
Voyager L clip point
ProLite clip point
Recon 1 clip point
Recon 1 spear point
Recon 1 tanto
Outdoorsman Lite fixed blade
Vertical knives:
left: AD-10
right: 4 Max Scout
Bob

~Rudyard Kipling
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A very nice selection desmobob. I especially like and frequently carry the Voyager. If I ever get myself organized, I'll try for a group shot.
desmobob

Post by desmobob »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:26 pm A very nice selection desmobob. I especially like and frequently carry the Voyager. If I ever get myself organized, I'll try for a group shot.
Thank you!

The Voyagers are light and strong!

I continue to be impressed with the value of the Cold Steel offerings. I think they are most suited for folks who don't mind tinkering with their knives... sometimes the locking springs, pocket clips and grip texturing come way too strong from the factory, but these kind of things can be easily adjusted to suit the user.
Bob

~Rudyard Kipling
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Q...I really like the looks of that 'tuff lite' ::tu:: Researching it now.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:39 am LJ, While it is not my first CS knife, I acquired a Raja I when it first came out. It is spectacular in looks and performance as I am sure your versions are as well.
Yes, Garry...both of mine came scary sharp, and they are easy to touch up with just a steel. I used to keep my Rajah II in my emergency backpack in my vehicle for years, but started to get concerned about getting 'searched' at a gate entrance to the shipyard and didn't want to lose it. So I switched it out with another one that would not have been such a big loss. ::paranoid:: I did carry the Rajah III for about a year...it was legal, even at the shipyard.
LJ

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Very impressive CS family, Bob. ::tu::
LJ

desmobob

Post by desmobob »

KLJ77 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:03 pm Very impressive CS family, Bob. ::tu::
Thank you, sir!
Bob

~Rudyard Kipling
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I take them apart and straighten the spring a tad to make the locking mechanism more manageable. I also polish up the lock bar/blade tang surfaces to make them super smooth.
Bob...if you could be so gracious as to explain a bit more on your process of 'straightening the spring a tad' to make the locking more manageable, I would truly appreciate it. Is it that hard to take apart? Looks like a couple of star screws to unscrew. I'm looking at the blue 'tuff lite', but if it comes as stiff and hard to unlock as you describe, I too would like to make your adjustment. There are numerous reviews discussing this very issue. I could probably get it apart, but would not know, or fully understand how much to straighten on the spring or how to do that. ::shrug::

Thanks in advance, if you desire to describe your technique. ::handshake::
LJ

desmobob

Post by desmobob »

KLJ77 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:43 pm
I take them apart and straighten the spring a tad to make the locking mechanism more manageable. I also polish up the lock bar/blade tang surfaces to make them super smooth.
Bob...if you could be so gracious as to explain a bit more on your process of 'straightening the spring a tad' to make the locking more manageable, I would truly appreciate it. Is it that hard to take apart? Looks like a couple of star screws to unscrew. I'm looking at the blue 'tuff lite', but if it comes as stiff and hard to unlock as you describe, I too would like to make your adjustment. There are numerous reviews discussing this very issue. I could probably get it apart, but would not know, or fully understand how much to straighten on the spring or how to do that. ::shrug::

Thanks in advance, if you desire to describe your technique. ::handshake::
I'm not sure how well I can describe it but if it's not clear I might be able to find a video showing the technique, or I can photograph a sequence of still photos for you. It might not be clear to read it, but if you have the knife in front of you I think it won't be difficult at all.

Most Cold Steel folding knives use a Torx 9 for the pivot screw and a Torx 6 for the handle screws. There may be other pins that pass through the handles that aren't threaded in. Removing the Torx fasteners will allow disassembly. It may take some depressing of the lock mechanism to take some pressure off the handle scales from the pins or some careful prying to get things apart.

Once apart, it will be easy to identify the lock spring. It is a leaf spring with a straight section that sits in a slot in the backspacer and a slightly bent section that contacts the lock bar. I hold the bent end in a pair of pliers or in the vice and carefully bend the the spring back toward straight just a tiny bit. I also polish the end of the spring where it contacts the lock bar. I use 800 and 1000 grit wet-and-dry SiC paper on a block for that. That spring tension also holds the blade in the closed position, so taking off too much pressure will make the knife a breeze to open but might not provide enough pressure to keep it fully closed when in your pocket, so be careful if you relieve the spring.

While the knife is apart, I also use that same SiC wet-and-dry paper to polish the bottom of the "foot" of the lock bar and the heel of it where it mates with the blade tang. When you're taking the knife apart, seeing it with just one side removed will make it clear exactly how the locking system works and what parts will benefit from polishing.

The blade has two washers on either side: a phosphor bronze washer (very thin) on the sides toward the handle and a Teflon washer (extremely thin) against each side the blade. I carefully clean these off to make sure there is no grit on them. Same goes for all the other internals. After everything is polished and adjusted, I lube it sparingly with Teflon/Boron Nitride lube and reassemble. I start with the pivot screw tight and then slowly back it off a tiny bit at a time until the blade just starts to drop closed when the knife is held horizontally and the lock bar is pressed. Then it can be closed the rest of the way one-handed, two-handed, or by pressing the back of the blade against something. (I put blue Loc-Tite on the pivot screw.)

It's not a difficult process at all and you can really smooth the action of the knife. If you have any trouble I will help you get through it, so fear not! ::tu::
Bob

~Rudyard Kipling
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Bob,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write these instructions out and describe the process. I truly appreciate it. ::handshake:: I have copied your narrative and will print it out to follow when I get my knife. I just ordered it, so it will be in possibly by Tuesday. From your description, it does seem to be a simple process. I'll just take my time with it...and I'll let you know whether I've succeeded or destroyed the knife by my own ignorance. ::facepalm::

LJ
LJ

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”