Fold—a-Vee question.

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
OSCAR

Fold—a-Vee question.

Post by OSCAR »

Fold-a-Vee by Spyderco
Not made in years...

Just got one, (Spyderco Fold-a-Vee sharpener) new in package. Bought it from a vender on AAPK. Question: for anyone familiar with this no longer made sharpener, how do you fold it back? Once unfolded, you snap the plastic pins into the holes of the plastic wings locking it in place. I can’t figure out how to undo this to fold it back up without breaking it. The included instructions don’t explain how to accomplish this as to fit it back in its leather case. Thanks Oscar
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Fold—a-Vee question.

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

OSCAR wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:48 pm Fold-a-Vee by Spyderco
Not made in years...

Just got one, (Spyderco Fold-a-Vee sharpener) new in package. Bought it from a vender on AAPK. Question: for anyone familiar with this no longer made sharpener, how do you fold it back? Once unfolded, you snap the plastic pins into the holes of the plastic wings locking it in place. I can’t figure out how to undo this to fold it back up without breaking it. The included instructions don’t explain how to accomplish this as to fit it back in its leather case. Thanks Oscar
Is this like the one you are talking about? It seems to pivot on the rivet on the right side and should fold by unsnapping the left side by pulling it open.
OIP.ldvxnxlgiZTWTKJcKjz8vwHaHK.jpg
OIP.ldvxnxlgiZTWTKJcKjz8vwHaHK.jpg (5.31 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
OSCAR

Re: Fold—a-Vee question.

Post by OSCAR »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:00 am
OSCAR wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:48 pm Fold-a-Vee by Spyderco
Not made in years...

Is this like the one you are talking about? It seems to pivot on the rivet on the right side and should fold by unsnapping the left side by pulling it open.
OIP.ldvxnxlgiZTWTKJcKjz8vwHaHK.jpg
Hey Olde Cutler. That’s the one. And yes that’s how it would seem to be folded back up to carry. The problem: the arm has a small plastic wing on each side. The wings have holes in them. The arm that snaps into it has plastic pins that go into these holes to secure it.
The plastic has NO give and seems very brittle. Could be due to its age or just a bad design.
I contacted support at Spyderco and they had no answers. It could be why it’s discontinued. I may just keep it as a collectible. I can’t see a way to fold it back flat without something breaking. Thanks Oscar
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”