Vintage Taylor Manila Folder balisong knife

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
scubatiger

Vintage Taylor Manila Folder balisong knife

Post by scubatiger »

I recently acquired an early Taylor Cutlery Manila Folder balisong in excellent condition and wanted to see if anyone could tell me more about it. I've had a couple of MFs over the years, and the stamp on the ricasso always said TAYLOR/SETO & SURGICAL JAPAN. But this one is different, showing TAYLOR COTLERY (not a typo - the U was replaced with an O) and then SURGICAL JAPAN and below that is C 1982 (I assume the production year) and then S.A.T. Pics attached. Don't know if this was a common error, or possibly an early specimen to work out the bugs?? Also curious, the box in which it came had another typo, showing MANIRA FOLDER. I have not been able to find anything online about these errors, so if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.
Attachments
Taylor Manila Folder blade base close.jpg
Taylor Manila Folder box side.jpg
Taylor Manila Folder box top ManiRa error.jpg
Taylor Manila Folder open left.jpg
Taylor Manila Folder open rt.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Vintage Taylor Manila Folder balisong knife

Post by Madmarco »

scubatiger wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:00 am I recently acquired an early Taylor Cutlery Manila Folder balisong in excellent condition and wanted to see if anyone could tell me more about it. I've had a couple of MFs over the years, and the stamp on the ricasso always said TAYLOR/SETO & SURGICAL JAPAN. But this one is different, showing TAYLOR COTLERY (not a typo - the U was replaced with an O) and then SURGICAL JAPAN and below that is C 1982 (I assume the production year) and then S.A.T. Pics attached. Don't know if this was a common error, or possibly an early specimen to work out the bugs?? Also curious, the box in which it came had another typo, showing MANIRA FOLDER. I have not been able to find anything online about these errors, so if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.
Hey Tiger! First of all, ::welcome:: to AAPK! As for your bali, I can't offer any help with your question, but if you go to www.arizonacustomknives.com they usually have a few Taylor Cutlery balis for sale, and their descriptions might offer some info. Beautiful knife BTW! 8)
8)
scubatiger

Post by scubatiger »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:29 pm
scubatiger wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:00 am I recently acquired an early Taylor Cutlery Manila Folder balisong in excellent condition and wanted to see if anyone could tell me more about it. I've had a couple of MFs over the years, and the stamp on the ricasso always said TAYLOR/SETO & SURGICAL JAPAN. But this one is different, showing TAYLOR COTLERY (not a typo - the U was replaced with an O) and then SURGICAL JAPAN and below that is C 1982 (I assume the production year) and then S.A.T. Pics attached. Don't know if this was a common error, or possibly an early specimen to work out the bugs?? Also curious, the box in which it came had another typo, showing MANIRA FOLDER. I have not been able to find anything online about these errors, so if anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it.
Hey Tiger! First of all, ::welcome:: to AAPK! As for your bali, I can't offer any help with your question, but if you go to www.arizonacustomknives.com they usually have a few Taylor Cutlery balis for sale, and their descriptions might offer some info. Beautiful knife BTW! 8)
Thanks Marco, I appreciate the welcome and the lead. I'll reach out to them.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

scubatiger wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:31 pm
Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:29 pm
Thanks Marco, I appreciate the welcome and the lead. I'll reach out to them.
You're welcome, and good luck! 8)
8)

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”