recentley ive been throwing

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
revencer

recentley ive been throwing

Post by revencer »

with the "Texas utility blade" from texasknife.com, and only about two hours of practice so far, from 8 feet I can always stick it. I got the blade for $14, and I really recommend it. I'm considering drilling about 10 medium holes where the handle will go to reduce rear weight, and partially hollowing some custom coco bolo handles for it to keep the weight basically the same and make this knife into a "Throwing Utility".
Steel Dragon

Re: recentley ive been throwing

Post by Steel Dragon »

I have been throwing for maybe a year now.
Mostly the bigger Kit Rae daggers out to 22' no problem, & the black jet throwing axes.The small Gil Hibben ones that were in the movie "Under Siege" are great at 12' too.

These axes always stick in any orientation which makes it real easy!
Hair shaving sharp is a good thing..
Diligence

Post by Diligence »

I love throwing too..!!!!

Just don't do it much. Usually a past time for my vacations to the cabin. Got my nephews hooked too.

Currently, just using cheap, stamped throwers, but the great thing is that they are cheap!

Where did you get those axes from? Look very interesting.

J
Steel Dragon

Post by Steel Dragon »

Those are the Kit Rae throwing axes. #KR36B. The great thing is they always stick in & are easy to use.
I was at 22' with those daggers.
Hair shaving sharp is a good thing..
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Coco Bolo will look great.........................I don't know how long it will last on a thrower! You may want to consider something a little more durable.

I threw a little a number of years back, it's a kick! You can see by the rust on these babies they haven't been used for some time!

Keep it up, pretty soon your be hitting a playing card 3 of 5 at 20.
Aim small miss small!
Attachments
DSC02788.JPG
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
SixShooter

Post by SixShooter »

Here comes a thread revival! I was looking at the SOG website over the weekend and saw a set of their throwing knives. It really has me intrigued and I just might pick it up as another hobby. Maybe not with the SOGs if I find something cheaper around here, but I think I'm going to give it a shot.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I throw pretty much every day when I visit my parents. My Dad gave me my own spot to set up some pine logs inside one of his barns. Added some lights for the shorter winter days. I use Hibben large bowies, small competition knives, a throwing axe and anything with the beginning letters "Pa" or "Ch" on the tang stamp or blade etch. The tricky part is getting the logs to sit so they're not falling over everytime you throw.
Attachments
IMAG0266.jpg
IMAG0265.jpg
IMAG0298.jpg
IMAG0299.jpg
IMAG0348.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Very cool sport! You have quite a set up there. I have never tried an axe, I'd like to though.

I probably threw every day for an hour or so for a year. I was young, broke (but didn't care) and all I needed was a target. I made mine from 2X6s and hung it from the eves on a rented house. It was great entertainment for quite some time.

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I love throwing, just wish I could do it more. Kind of adds the target hitting aspect to playing catch with a baseball or football. Plus I'm always looking for what I call the "sweet spot" when throwing- the correct distance to allow the point to rotate and stick the wood. I use a thin leather glove and throw holding the blade, seems to work well for me. My brother-in-law holds the knife tip between his thumb and index fingers. With the smaller knives I'm pretty good around 14', can get the heaviers knives and axe to stick around 20'. It's a lot of fun and relatively cheap, just takes a little physical effort to get everything set up at first.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
tc3500

Post by tc3500 »

edit
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

It's a ton of cheap fun! You buy the ammo once!

Bill Price (CCBill)

tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Now that looks like a ton of fun. May put that on the top of my list of things to do this spring.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

You have to try it TJ!

It's all about the number of paces to the target and consistency of speed on the throw. Start out with one rotation, probably about 3 paces 8-9 feet. Of course it depends on the knife too! You will soon figure it out. Be careful that close..................eye protection!.....................hell head protection!

Bill Price (CCBill)

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”