What are the Good Brands of French Pocket Knives?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: What are the Good Brands of French Pocket Knives?

Post by joeradza »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:18 pm
joeradza wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:17 pm
joeradza wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:12 pm

Thank you. There is still one available for a reasonable price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325202905264?h ... Sw5yZijWi7
If you’re interested I’d contact the seller to make sure there is no blade play, etc. The reason I’m pointing this out is the pivot pins don’t look as smooth/clean as the one I bought.
I really like it when members willingly share where they got their knives when someone shows interest, so thanks very much for the link Joe. Now that really is a reasonable price for the available one, I just wonder how communicating with the seller will go cuz his description is all in French, but it's worth a try. The usual prices I've seen for these all chrome knives is over US$100. plus, so to get that one for what they're asking would be a heck of a bargain. Thx again! ::handshake:: 8)
Glad to help. My android phone translates everything automatically. I'm guessing no matter the language you send a message in, if it means a sale they'll figure it out
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I don't have a mobile phone Joe, but what you say about wanting to make the sale sure makes sense, I'll try it. 8)
8)
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

Madmarco wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:45 am I don't have a mobile phone Joe, but what you say about wanting to make the sale sure makes sense, I'll try it. 8)
I found a new resource for metal Laguioles. Check out
https://www.couperier-coursolle.com/nos ... uct-page=8
I heard they can be a little rough sometimes but overall good useable knives. Good prices

Alan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks for that link Alan! ::handshake:: I found the Lag and they have some other really cool all-metal pieces that also caught my attention, and those prices are exceptionally good. Thx again! 8)
8)
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:08 am Thanks for that link Alan! ::handshake:: I found the Lag and they have some other really cool all-metal pieces that also caught my attention, and those prices are exceptionally good. Thx again! 8)
I spent 3 days going through their site. I’m a big fan of those brass figural knives and they have plenty of choices. I ended up buying a clip point Yatagan (?). At 3 3/4” it’s not a size or pattern often seen in this material. The dark spot on the point is lighting. The only downside is the shipping cost.
Attachments
DD862AD6-43FB-47E9-BBAF-8505168204CE.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Whoa, that's a beauty Alan. I certainly can see you spending all that time on their site, they have so many beautiful models one's shopping cart could fill-up quickly. When I browsed for a few minutes the other day I hadn't seen the knife you bought yet and you sure made a good choice, it's a very handsome knife. I have my eye on the all stainless Theirs! 8)
8)
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

ErikB wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:09 pm What are the better brands of French knives? Not just Laguioles but regionals, as well? There is a lot of junk out there. I am trying to figure out which companies

I have found these brands to be pretty good.
- Fontenille-Pataud (the best but extremely expensive)
- En Aubrac
- Forge de Laguiole
- Arbalete (G. David)

Has anyone had experience with these brands?
- R. David
- Au Sabot
- Chambriard
- Pradel
- Actiforge
- Sabatier
- Homme de Bois
- PARAPLUIE À L'EPREUVE

My wife is in France right now and I am trying to give her a list of trustable brands. That's what gave me this idea.

Note: I ordered an Actiforge Laguiole from a guy named Richard Anselmo at www.laguiole.com. What arrived was defective, the blade was bent and hit the side when closing the knife. I sent it back and Richard Anselmo refused to refund or even return my knife, claiming that he was (somehow) offended. I am not sure how or why.

I suggest never, ever doing business with www.laguiole.com or Richard Anselmo.
I own several French made knives....the best quality known in larger quantities are by far Fontenille Pataud!! Expensive but superb quality control!!
R.David is a more rustic brand but very well made....Forge de Laguiole is a good quality, but not the oldest or only Laguiole brand as the falsely advertise. Sabatier is a very old Thiers brand, not sure if they make others then good kitchen knives!!

Return to “European-made knives”