90 year old man making a liner lock knife in Pakistan

A place to discuss & share pictures of of knives from areas of the world other than the United States, Europe, China & Japan.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

90 year old man making a liner lock knife in Pakistan

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Ever wonder how those Pakistan folding knives are made? Here's one way...

I give the gentleman credit for the hard work he does with the absolute minimum of equipment. However, the construction leaves a lot to be desired. Big, thick blade, no pivot washers, weak brass liner lock, no thread lock - and that heat treat...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: 90 year old man making a liner lock knife in Pakistan

Post by Reverand »

Interesting!
I have also seen other videos of people working with similar tools and conditions, and it has always made me wonder why they have all of the tools on the ground, and squat to work? It made my knees ache to watch him!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I think the guy did really good considering the tools and elemental
conditions he has to work with.'

Bob
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Low overhead, no OSHA regulations, no health care, no payroll taxes, no union dues, etc. Working conditions weren’t much different here 100 years ago. Pocketknives sold from the factory for $8 a dozen.

My grandfather, a coal miner, worked 10-12 hours a day, often on his knees, squatting, or sitting down while digging coal with a shovel in a deep shaft mine with a 4 ft ceiling height. I still have his old dinner bucket and a couple of the carbide lamps he wore attached to his hat so he could see in the dark.

And today we complain that U.S. made knives are too expensive.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:17 pm Low overhead, no OSHA regulations, no health care, no payroll taxes, no union dues, etc. Working conditions weren’t much different here 100 years ago. Pocketknives sold from the factory for $8 a dozen.

My grandfather, a coal miner, worked 10-12 hours a day, often on his knees, squatting, or sitting down while digging coal with a shovel in a deep shaft mine with a 4 ft ceiling height. I still have his old dinner bucket and a couple of the carbide lamps he wore attached to his hat so he could see in the dark.

And today we complain that U.S. made knives are too expensive.

Ken
I agree! A few months ago I got a call from one of our board members wanting to know how to use Zoom from a hotel in Hungary at no cost. I told her to ask the hotel, not me. This same woman also asked me how to get on a conference call from a sailboat in the middle of the Caribbean! She acted like it was completely my fault for not being able to find a way to allow her to make free phone calls while she is on a boat 50 miles from land.

People now assume that electrical power, clean water, natural gas, flush toilets and high speed internet are all universal utilities available no matter where they are or what they are doing. That's just not true - not even in the most industrialized nations in the world, let alone in a metal shed on a back street in Karachi! My grandfather plowed fields with horses and milked cows by hand for room, board & use of the outhouse when he came to the US ~1900.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

The man's fingers must be insensitive to heat. If I squatted like that for a half hour, it would take a crane to get me back on my feet.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Interesting video. Thanks for posting TFL. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
butter

Post by butter »

he is comfortable, and happy with his career.

Return to “Other foreign made knives”