Knife ID please

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Jimny14

Knife ID please

Post by Jimny14 »

Anyone any ideas about this pocket knife? It's a new acquisition and all the tools snap in and out quite firmly. I have no idea on age or manufacturer other than the main blade is stamped "rostfrei" so I assume its German, Austrian or maybe Swiss. There is a tang stamp with a logo which I hope someone recognises.
20220115_200710.jpg
20220115_200636.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: Knife ID please

Post by kootenay joe »

I do not recognize the logo but it almost certainly is a German made knife.
kj
Jimny14

Post by Jimny14 »

Thanks Joe, out of interest (I'm a novice when it comes to knives) what are the tell tales that suggest to you that this is a German knife?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jimny14 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:12 pm Thanks Joe, out of interest (I'm a novice when it comes to knives) what are the tell tales that suggest to you that this is a German knife?
"Rostfrei" is a German word and the logo is similar to other logos seen on vintage German knives.
Can you get a better picture of the logo ? Is it a stylized lion or 'big cat' over something, a shield or ?
kj
Jimny14

Post by Jimny14 »

Sorry I can't seem to get a better picture at the moment but will keep trying. It is a fox, or some other long tailed animal in a shield above a little triangle with horizontal slightly wavy lines.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jimny14 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:57 am Sorry I can't seem to get a better picture at the moment but will keep trying. It is a fox, or some other long tailed animal in a shield above a little triangle with horizontal slightly wavy lines.
I searched through every page of J. Anthony Carter's book on German Knife and Sword Makers 1850-1945 and it shows thousands of logos but i did not see the logo on your knife. This is not too unusual as he does not show every logo ever used by German cutlery manufacturers.
kj
Jimny14

Post by Jimny14 »

Thanks a lot for looking, much appreciated.

Return to “European-made knives”