"Sheffield" Joseph Rodgers & Sons sportsmans knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
wellington03

"Sheffield" Joseph Rodgers & Sons sportsmans knife

Post by wellington03 »

Hi Guys

I would just like to show this dear old knife, a favourite of mine.

JOSEPH RODGERS & SONS, SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND, (CTHM) C 1910 4 3/4" Stag scaled sportsmans knife, lovely quality, snappy.

Thanks for looking

Mick
Another Knife Collector

Re: "Sheffield" Joseph Rodgers & Sons sportsmans knife

Post by Another Knife Collector »

Fantastic knife! ::tu:: Sportsman's knives seem to be in very poor condition most often, but yours is in great shape.
-Phil
wellington03

Post by wellington03 »

Another Knife Collector wrote:Fantastic knife! ::tu:: Sportsman's knives seem to be in very poor condition most often, but yours is in great shape.
Thanks for the comment Another Knife Collector ::tu::

These older multi blade/sports knives I suppose do get more hard use, then say a gents utility knife, and agree many are often found in poor condition. The Rodgers (pictured) is in pretty good nick, however the two blades have been slightly used and sharpened, but everything is tight and snappy.

Older well used examples of this type often make good money at auction, as parts can be quickly found and fitted. The basic 7 pc sports/horsemans knife is a common Sheffield "town pattern", the parts, bolsters, linings, minor articles, blades etc of say a 3 3/4" Wosty would like as not fit any make of knife, Harrison Bros & Howson, Needham, T Turner etc etc, of the same size and type. All the makers bought most of their parts from factors ie Lygos or Innocent on Broad Lane, the difference between makes would only be seen in the final fit & finish.

Mick.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

What a beautiful piece!Thanks for sharing it with the forum.That is the first one I have seen in that size.I have a couple but they are quite a bit smaller.An I*XL and an E.M.Dickinson.Also an unmarked one with metal scales that looks to have military markings;possibly Indian.
Attachments
IXL Knives4.jpg
IXL Knives4.jpg (41.6 KiB) Viewed 10992 times
IXL Knives5.jpg
IXL Knives5.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 10992 times
EMDickensonHorsemansLeftSide.JPG
EMDickensonHorsemansLeftSide.JPG (21.05 KiB) Viewed 10991 times
EMDickensonHorsemansRightSide.JPG
EMDickensonHorsemansRightSide.JPG (20.82 KiB) Viewed 10991 times
8BladeKnifeRightSide.JPG
8BladeKnifeRightSide.JPG (21.88 KiB) Viewed 10991 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
wellington03

Post by wellington03 »

Thanks for the compliment on the Rodgers knife7knut :)

Your two Sheffield made knives are exactly the sort of thing I love to see. Guessing the wonderful Wosty is 3 3/4" ?, the Dickinson 3 1/2" ?.

I will have a dig around later and try and find two knives that are similar, though maybe not as good, same knives but made by different makers, using the common same sourced parts I mentioned earlier.

Mick
wellington03

Post by wellington03 »

Here we go, this knife was made by J Allen & Sons, Sheffield, England NON-XLL , notice the similarity between this knife and the above Wosty

This knife measures 3 1/2" made by John Baker, Sheffield, England, (Pheonix logo) very similar to the above Dickinson.

Mick :)
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Beautiful knives gents.

I love this place.

Thanks for sharing,
W
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.

Return to “European-made knives”