g. ibberson violin ???????(help)

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
junebug

g. ibberson violin ???????(help)

Post by junebug »

hey guys gotta question on a knife i just scored @ an antique show..........paid $10bucks ::nod:: sweeeeeet!!! i know huh..............anywho.....has stainless sheepfoot bladed marked : made in sheffield(in circle around) england....other side has a violin g. ibberson & co.
also marked onside and on file/screw driver tool w/ : REG.N. 714557
has screw driver/file/wire stripper??? multi tool......
has a pair of wire cutters held closed w/ a small bail.....
nice fit and finish knife!!!! ::tu::
is it military issue??? ::shrug::
also came in a blue box marked: BIRKS DIAMOND MERCHANTS....
value of knife???? ::shrug::
age???? ::shrug::
any info would be cool on ma' new pocket gem!!!! :mrgreen:
Attachments
pocket knives 09' 028.jpg
pocket knives 09' 029.jpg
pocket knives 09' 030.jpg
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: g. ibberson violin ???????(help)

Post by philco »

Junebug,

I'll share with you what "Goins Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings" has to say about G. Ibberson;

G. IBBERSON MADE IN ENGLAND c. 1700-1988 Ibberson was at 112 to 116 Rockingham Street, Sheffeild, England from 1921 to 1942. Joseph William Iberson and William Gregory Ibberson were the owners. In 1953, they were at the Violin Works, Rockingham Street, Sheffield. They made all types of cutlery, including "Bowie" type knives. G. Ibberson used the trademarks violin and double sharp.

Below this paragraph is an image of a violin with the date 1873 below it and also the image of double sharps (looks a lot like ##)

Your knife looks to be some sort of pliers knife if I'm looking at it correctly. Hopefully someone who knows more than me will be along soon. S-K are you out there? :D

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Nice looking knife. ::tu:: The registration number dates to 1925. Of course it could be made sometime after that. I think probably before WWII though. I don't think it was military issue. It would most likely have the broad arrow mark on it. My hypothesis is that Birks is Henry Birks & Sons. This is a Canadian company founded in Montreal late 1800s. It expanded beyond just jewelry and had stores in many major Canadian Cities by the 1920s. I don't think it is terribly valuable. It is a somewhat unusual pattern in good condition, so $10 seems like a very good deal IMO. I hope this is of interest. :D s-k
Rust Never Sleeps
junebug

Post by junebug »

thanx for info guys!!!!appreciate the leg work!!! :mrgreen:
sooooo maybe canadian import ::shrug:: ???? hmmmm cool 8)
yes excellent unused shape!!!!! :mrgreen: till now....well soon :) cuz i hate ta see a quality knife just sit there ::sneaky:: .......................
soooo maybe made around 1920-1930ish huh?????

again thanx ::tu::

anybody else???????????????????????
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Roush428r

Post by Roush428r »

Check inside the liners for any engraved initials. Some well known Sheffield makers, including at least two that worked for Ibberson, often marked their work on the inside of the liners.
junebug

Post by junebug »

no dice...................................thanx for info though ::tu::
- Junebug 2016

Return to “European-made knives”