Anyone like opinel,

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Anyone like opinel,

Post by zed6309 »

Ive been thinking about trying one for some time now, well a mate from up north sent me a #8 the other week and ive been trying it out, i actualy like them, there very basic working knives and this is why i like them, plus a long history, i ordered 2 more last week a #6 and #3 the 6 is a good pocket size but locks so i might remove the collar or buy a #5, the #3 is very small and wouls make a nice key chain knife with a ring added, so does anyone else like these basic but elegant knives,
Attachments
P1010007b.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
woseyjales

Re: Anyone like opinel,

Post by woseyjales »

From the replies in the Opinel Set thread I'd say at least 7-10 anyones like 'em.
Probably a few dozen lurkers like 'em they just don't want to talk about it.
No.6 my favorite size, have a carboney No.6 as EDC#2.
Only reason it's #2 is when I carry it inevitably before the
day is thru I find myself needing one of the SAK Cadet's
non cutting implements.
So unless it's cardboard box breakdown day which a tuned up Opie
loves to do, or next meal requires some prep time, cadet gets first call.
As for the lock, no need to remove it just don't turn it on.
I have seen no tendency for it to try to open in the pocket.
Slicing keeps it open of course but once you start poking stuff
helps to lock it so no chance of blade closing on your fingers.
Ring turns easily with thumb tip but if that's gumming up the
works the ring is easy to pop off.
Just force blade open with ring in locked closed position.
Leverage from opening the blade will pop that baby right off.
You will hear it pop off just before you hear yourself say:
"where'd it go?"
If you find it lemme know, got a few friends that already
lost theirs same way.
Imho every knifeologist should have at least one Opie.
If they don't like it after a few weeks of trials & testing
it will be well worth the money next time they want to
spike mother-in-laws airport luggage.
Here's a pic with what I call "pocket wore" handles on
No.6 (L) and No.7 (C) and factory finish on No.6 (R)
Surprising how much difference that little extra size makes
in a No.7 Might just be the ticket if a #6 feels too small
and a #8 too big. The #7 just doesn't have the variety of
handles like 6 & 8.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

woseyjales wrote:From the replies in the Opinel Set thread I'd say at least 7-10 anyones like 'em.
Probably a few dozen lurkers like 'em they just don't want to talk about it.
No.6 my favorite size, have a carboney No.6 as EDC#2.
Only reason it's #2 is when I carry it inevitably before the
day is thru I find myself needing one of the SAK Cadet's
non cutting implements.
So unless it's cardboard box breakdown day which a tuned up Opie
loves to do, or next meal requires some prep time, cadet gets first call.
As for the lock, no need to remove it just don't turn it on.
I have seen no tendency for it to try to open in the pocket.
Slicing keeps it open of course but once you start poking stuff
helps to lock it so no chance of blade closing on your fingers.
Ring turns easily with thumb tip but if that's gumming up the
works the ring is easy to pop off.
Just force blade open with ring in locked closed position.
Leverage from opening the blade will pop that baby right off.
You will hear it pop off just before you hear yourself say:
"where'd it go?"
If you find it lemme know, got a few friends that already
lost theirs same way.
Imho every knifeologist should have at least one Opie.
If they don't like it after a few weeks of trials & testing
it will be well worth the money next time they want to
spike mother-in-laws airport luggage.
Here's a pic with what I call "pocket wore" handles on
No.6 (L) and No.7 (C) and factory finish on No.6 (R)
Surprising how much difference that little extra size makes
in a No.7 Might just be the ticket if a #6 feels too small
and a #8 too big. The #7 just doesn't have the variety of
handles like 6 & 8.
Thanks mate for all that info, i saw a youtube vid on collar removal but yours sounds easyer, the fact its there makes it illegal in the uk as locks the blade, i might buy a #5 with no collar, i really like the feel of these knives, the #3 is a bit too small for pocket carry as scared ill lose it, still a handy little knife, i think one more as said the #5 and thats enough i think, its s a shame the lettering on the handle comes off as it is on the old #8 i have, but i like the blade stamp, its s scratch i had to itch with some help, but now i like them, ::tu::
Paul,

tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I really like the simplicity of the Oppies but have never held one. Seems like they would be a littly bulky in the pocket. Seem perfect for tackle box or camp cooking.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I carried an Opinel for what seems now like several years. They're a great knife.
I put that screw in the top one because I could.
Attachments
017.JPG
Joe
gino

Post by gino »

I am with Tom, I have never held one either. I am interested in them though.
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

the #6 is a pretty good edc size knife, p;us there lightweight, of course the lockring makes this a lock knife so not really uk legal, i still carried it as the chance of me getting stopped is pretty slim, i did pop the ring off but dont like the look with it removed plus loses a great function as locks it open and closed and with no backspring i feel it needs the ring, these are pretty thin blades so i guess good for camping and dealing with food, im not sure where the little #3 will end up but i suppose in my kit pouch as a extra small blade, the #8 is the best in the hand though as really comfy, plus one of there most popular sizes, ::tu::
Paul,

trutemper

Post by trutemper »

I`ve always been curious about the Opinel line. They look like a good user knife. How is the steel quality? Do they hold an edge well? Stand up to rough use? Does anyone know the rockwell hardness of their blades? Thanks for your replies. Bob
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

trutemper wrote:I`ve always been curious about the Opinel line. They look like a good user knife. How is the steel quality? Do they hold an edge well? Stand up to rough use? Does anyone know the rockwell hardness of their blades? Thanks for your replies. Bob
From what ive read bob all those things are good, mine are the carbon steel version but the is inox SS, they come sharp but i sharpened the old #8 up really sharp so time will tell how it holds up, they are popular as a wroking knife and among bushcraft folk, plus easy to mod and cheap if you lose one, i never go them before but now like them a lot ::tu::
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

im now looking on ebay/france at some old opinels :D
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

took a nice group pic outside ::tu::
Attachments
P1010008-1.jpg
Paul,

cb51

Post by cb51 »

I've been in love with Opinels since my first one in 1982. I carried a number 9 for a long time, then gave it to someone who admired it. I'd sanded and restained it and it looked pretty good. But that's the nice thing about an Opy, it's so low cost to replace, you can give it away and get another for the price of a few beers at the bar.

I like to sand them down when I get them, and restain with minwax of choice and seal with Helmsman Spar urathane. This makes them pretty water resistant to swelling. Not to mention it improves the looks a lot.

I'm currently carrying a stainless oak number 6, and I love the slicing ability of them. A number 8 is in my daypack as a back up knife, along with an Opinel saw. The folding saw is a great emergency tool for the woods. My old number 12 is in the kitchen drawer, and gets a lot of use in the kitchen. Great slicer and dicer!
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

cb51 wrote:I've been in love with Opinels since my first one in 1982. I carried a number 9 for a long time, then gave it to someone who admired it. I'd sanded and restained it and it looked pretty good. But that's the nice thing about an Opy, it's so low cost to replace, you can give it away and get another for the price of a few beers at the bar.

I like to sand them down when I get them, and restain with minwax of choice and seal with Helmsman Spar urathane. This makes them pretty water resistant to swelling. Not to mention it improves the looks a lot.

I'm currently carrying a stainless oak number 6, and I love the slicing ability of them. A number 8 is in my daypack as a back up knife, along with an Opinel saw. The folding saw is a great emergency tool for the woods. My old number 12 is in the kitchen drawer, and gets a lot of use in the kitchen. Great slicer and dicer!
cool advice on the handles, i have heard they can swell and course issues getting the blade out, i heard lots of good things on opinels but was unsure of there look, but once i held one i liked them, ive just ordered a #5 non locking one for legal edc ::tu::
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

the thin blades are great in the kitchen ::tu::

cool site http://www.customknivesandsticks.co.uk/firesteels.htm
Attachments
P1010011-3.jpg
Paul,

Cooter Brown

Post by Cooter Brown »

I like 'em. The are so inexpensive that everyone (this means you, Gino) should get one just to see if they like them or not. If you don't they make a great gift.

I have a number 8 and a paring knife for the kitchen. This is not a great pic as I took it to show my patination experiment. I added a lanyard to the 8. Don't know why, just bored one day. I want to get a couple more for toolbox and truck glove box.

Practical, light, inexpensive, and great slicers. What's not to like?
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Cooter Brown wrote:I like 'em. The are so inexpensive that everyone (this means you, Gino) should get one just to see if they like them or not. If you don't they make a great gift.

I have a number 8 and a paring knife for the kitchen. This is not a great pic as I took it to show my patination experiment. I added a lanyard to the 8. Don't know why, just bored one day. I want to get a couple more for toolbox and truck glove box.

Practical, light, inexpensive, and great slicers. What's not to like?

I agree mate everyone should have at least one and give it one a go, im looking forward to getting my #5 , these are great value for money knives with a cool long history, ::tu::
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Got my #5 today, good size foe a edc and non locking so legal ::tu::

cool history ::tu::
http://www.opinel-usa.com/opinelhistory.asp
Attachments
P1010011-4.jpg
Paul,

cb51

Post by cb51 »

Another way to water proof them pretty well is Vasoline. Yeah, I know it sounds weird, but I'll explain.

A friend of mine here in Maryland is really French. Last summer some of his family came to visit, so we had a big lunch together and the subject of Opinels came up when I used mine to cut a slice of bread off a loaf at the picnic. They all got a kick out of it, because they all carry Opinel's back home. They told me to take a paper match out of a book, and use the torn end to mop a little of the Vasoline jelly around in the pivot area. I did this, and it's a heck of a lot easier than sanding the whole thing down, plus some people like to have them look stock. I've been doing this with a new number 6 oak for a month now, and I have not had any wood swelling from moisture, in spite of using the knife in my canoe fishing. It's been washed off with water, and I even let it sit in a glass of water for 15 minutes with no swelling. The Vasoline trick really works. Just swab some in the pivot area, wipe off excess and close up and drop in pocket.

It's extended my use of Opinels to the water, and here in Maryland we have lots of water and boats.

I love my Opinels, and never leave home without one or two in my pockets.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

cb51 wrote:Another way to water proof them pretty well is Vasoline. Yeah, I know it sounds weird, but I'll explain.

A friend of mine here in Maryland is really French. Last summer some of his family came to visit, so we had a big lunch together and the subject of Opinels came up when I used mine to cut a slice of bread off a loaf at the picnic. They all got a kick out of it, because they all carry Opinel's back home. They told me to take a paper match out of a book, and use the torn end to mop a little of the Vasoline jelly around in the pivot area. I did this, and it's a heck of a lot easier than sanding the whole thing down, plus some people like to have them look stock. I've been doing this with a new number 6 oak for a month now, and I have not had any wood swelling from moisture, in spite of using the knife in my canoe fishing. It's been washed off with water, and I even let it sit in a glass of water for 15 minutes with no swelling. The Vasoline trick really works. Just swab some in the pivot area, wipe off excess and close up and drop in pocket.

It's extended my use of Opinels to the water, and here in Maryland we have lots of water and boats.

I love my Opinels, and never leave home without one or two in my pockets.
Thanks for the tip mate, ill give it a go as we get a lot of water in the uk :wink:
Paul,

cb51

Post by cb51 »

Thanks for the tip mate, ill give it a go as we get a lot of water in the uk :wink:[/quote]

Yeah, last time I was in England it rained 4 days out of 5. I was glad I had my old trench coat saturated with Scotch guard before I left. But it was beautiful!! So darn green when the sun did come out on the odd days. I loved the old country. ::tu::

If only you all drove on the right side of the road! :mrgreen: I had to remember every time I pulled out from someplace "Drive left, look right!"

I think I really P.O'd a few of your countrymen as I pulled out a car parks now and then. :shock:
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

cb51 wrote:Thanks for the tip mate, ill give it a go as we get a lot of water in the uk :wink:
Yeah, last time I was in England it rained 4 days out of 5. I was glad I had my old trench coat saturated with Scotch guard before I left. But it was beautiful!! So darn green when the sun did come out on the odd days. I loved the old country. ::tu::

If only you all drove on the right side of the road! :mrgreen: I had to remember every time I pulled out from someplace "Drive left, look right!"

I think I really P.O'd a few of your countrymen as I pulled out a car parks now and then. :shock:[/quote]

we do drive on the right side of the road :wink: :lol:
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I found my #5 a little loose opening and as slightly worried about it opening in my pocket i decided to do a experiment, i heard about the swelling problem so decided to see what would happen if i got it wet, well put it this way its not loosed anymore :D ::tu::
Paul,

cb51

Post by cb51 »

zed6309 wrote:I found my #5 a little loose opening and as slightly worried about it opening in my pocket i decided to do a experiment, i heard about the swelling problem so decided to see what would happen if i got it wet, well put it this way its not loosed anymore :D ::tu::
That'll work for a little while, but as it dries out, it will loosen up again. When it does get dried again, try this; take two hammers, lay one on the table as the anvil. Lay the little Opy on the side of the hammer on the table, with it right on the rivet. Then GENTLY tap the topside of the riviet a few times. try the action. If still loose, just tap it a time or two very easy, untill it gets snug again. Then grease with the Vasoline jelly to seal out moisture.

That's the wonderful thing about Opinels, they are sooo easy to work on, and tweak.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

cb51 wrote:
zed6309 wrote:I found my #5 a little loose opening and as slightly worried about it opening in my pocket i decided to do a experiment, i heard about the swelling problem so decided to see what would happen if i got it wet, well put it this way its not loosed anymore :D ::tu::
That'll work for a little while, but as it dries out, it will loosen up again. When it does get dried again, try this; take two hammers, lay one on the table as the anvil. Lay the little Opy on the side of the hammer on the table, with it right on the rivet. Then GENTLY tap the topside of the riviet a few times. try the action. If still loose, just tap it a time or two very easy, untill it gets snug again. Then grease with the Vasoline jelly to seal out moisture.

That's the wonderful thing about Opinels, they are sooo easy to work on, and tweak.
yep loosened again :? ill give your tip a go mate thanks ::tu::
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Great tip mate worked a treat, #5 nice and tight now ::tu::
Paul,