Russian knives?

A place to discuss & share pictures of of knives from areas of the world other than the United States, Europe, China & Japan.
Lawrence

Russian knives?

Post by Lawrence »

I have a couple of knives and I have no idea where they were made, however watching the Olympics and seeing that the Russians write their 'N' backwards, I was wondering if these are Russian. Can anyone tell me anything about these? The steel looks wierd but they are both razor sharp. cheers
Attachments
March'13 photos 102.jpg
March'13 photos 101.jpg
Feb'22'14finds 025.jpg
Feb'22'14finds 026.jpg
rangerbluedog

Re: Russian knives?

Post by rangerbluedog »

If I remember my Russian, the writing on both of those knives would be translated as "Gorky".
The impala, or stag on your first knife is reminiscent of the emblem for the Gorky Automotive Factory.
Maybe that is a clue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAZ

Here is a link to a few Gorky knives on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40
Attachments
gaz_auto_3d_logo.jpg
gaz_auto_3d_logo.jpg (34.5 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Thanks RangerBD ::tu:: much appreciated, you nailed it. The ebay link has a number of similar ones...now I can brag that I have a Gorky! cheers
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Well here is a thread that hasn't been used in quite some time.
I've been wanting to show a little more worldwide diversity in my collection lately so I've ordered 2 Russian made knives. This is the first one I received so this appears to be the appropriate spot to post it. It's is a Kizlyar Supreme "Gent" as they call it. It has a black coated Titanium Blade and white bone handles. Very sharp right out of the box and at first inspection appears to be very well made. I'm sure some of you have more experience with Eastern European or Russian knives than myself and would have more info.
Attachments
20211115_152826.jpg
20211115_152850.jpg
20211115_161605.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

dlr110 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:07 pm Well here is a thread that hasn't been used in quite some time.
I've been wanting to show a little more worldwide diversity in my collection lately so I've ordered 2 Russian made knives. This is the first one I received so this appears to be the appropriate spot to post it. It's is a Kizlyar Supreme "Gent" as they call it. It has a black coated Titanium Blade and white bone handles. Very sharp right out of the box and at first inspection appears to be very well made. I'm sure some of you have more experience with Eastern European or Russian knives than myself and would have more info.
Looks just as nice if not nicer than in the other post David! ::tu:: Great gentleman's folder! 8)
8)
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Here is the 2nd Russian knife I ordered.
It's called Belka (Squirrel) Brutalica (company name)
From their website:

"The blade is made of 8Cr13MoV steel, which is very practical stainless steel that can hold the edge, easy to sharpen and will not rust easily. This is a flat grind type blade with a satin finish. The Back Lock system is designed to keep the blade locked in 3 positions: closed, fully opened and at 90 degrees. The handle is made with original Belka knife in mind - it has classic nylon scales with 3D carved Squirrel and large washer on the pivot point."

"Total length (opened): 8" (205 mm); Blade length: 3.6" (92 mm); Blade thickness: 2.5 mm; Blade material: 8Cr13MoV.
Handle: steel with nylon scales."

I can't believe how solid this knife feels and how smooth the blade opens and closes even with a half-stop. When it's locked open there is no movement of the blade at all. The raised image on the handles are not uncomfortable at all. This knife would be better carried in a belt sheath and not in the pocket. I like it and I'm glad I purchased it for my collection.
Attachments
20211116_142822.jpg
20211116_143337 (2).jpg
20211116_143623.jpg
20211116_143758.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:25 pm Here is the 2nd Russian knife I ordered.
It's called Belka (Squirrel) Brutalica (company name)
From their website:

"The blade is made of 8Cr13MoV steel, which is very practical stainless steel that can hold the edge, easy to sharpen and will not rust easily. This is a flat grind type blade with a satin finish. The Back Lock system is designed to keep the blade locked in 3 positions: closed, fully opened and at 90 degrees. The handle is made with original Belka knife in mind - it has classic nylon scales with 3D carved Squirrel and large washer on the pivot point."

"Total length (opened): 8" (205 mm); Blade length: 3.6" (92 mm); Blade thickness: 2.5 mm; Blade material: 8Cr13MoV.
Handle: steel with nylon scales."

I can't believe how solid this knife feels and how smooth the blade opens and closes even with a half-stop. When it's locked open there is no movement of the blade at all. The raised image on the handles are not uncomfortable at all. This knife would be better carried in a belt sheath and not in the pocket. I like it and I'm glad I purchased it for my collection.
Nice, I want one! 8)
8)
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Thank you Marco, go ahead and order you one. Mine only took 3 days for delivery... :D
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well, it took me awhile, David, but I finally pulled the trigger for my copy!
What a solid well built folder, I am very pleased!
Cool as can be!
8)
WIN_20230404_14_01_57_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230404_14_02_14_Pro.jpg
8)
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:23 pm Well, it took me awhile, David, but I finally pulled the trigger for my copy!
Cool as can be!
8)
WIN_20230404_14_01_57_Pro.jpgWIN_20230404_14_02_14_Pro.jpg
All right, glad you like it! ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:09 pm
Madmarco wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:23 pm Well, it took me awhile, David, but I finally pulled the trigger for my copy!
Cool as can be!
8)
WIN_20230404_14_01_57_Pro.jpgWIN_20230404_14_02_14_Pro.jpg
All right, glad you like it! ::tu::
Yes sir, I sure do.
I particularly like that it has a true drop-point blade; part of the reason I was holding off on buying one was that odd shaped blade the earlier models have, that sortta modified spey/clip-point blade, or whatever it's called. But the deciding factor was your recommendation of the knife.
Not the most expensive in my collection, but definitely one of my better quality knives.
8)
8)
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

My Belka
Attachments
Brutalica Belka.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I don't post in this thread very often, but since I recently received this Russian made knife I'll post it now!
This is an 8 1/4" oal Mehtah leverlock auto that has a SS spear-point blade, SS hardware including the liners, snappy BO/BC action, and beautifully grained Walnut covers.
Weighs an impressive 6 oz.'s and arrived scary sharp.
It comfortably walks open when the lever is pressed with the same result when it's talking as it closes
This baby bears a perfect fit and finish.
Big, heavy, crisp action, now that's my kindda knife!
8)
WIN_20230803_19_55_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230803_19_54_47_Pro.jpg
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:55 pm I don't post in this thread very often, but since I recently received this Russian made knife I'll post it now!
Big, heavy, crisp action, now that's my kindda knife!
8)WIN_20230803_19_55_23_Pro.jpgWIN_20230803_19_54_47_Pro.jpg
Это великолепно выглядящий нож! Приятная новинка для вашей коллекции.
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

My Russkie is a little rusty, Dog, would you kindly translate please. ::handshake:: Thx!
8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:19 pm My Russkie is a little rusty, Dog, would you kindly translate please. ::handshake:: Thx!
8)
"This is a great looking knife! Nice new addition to your collection"

Courtesy of Google translator. 😉
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks, John, I appreciate the effort, and the translation! ::handshake::
BTW, you'd like that knife, it's a beast!
8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:27 pm Thanks, John, I appreciate the effort, and the translation! ::handshake::
BTW, you'd like that knife, it's a beast!
8)

Looks awesome, Mark. ::nod::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks man. ::handshake::
8)
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:19 pm My Russkie is a little rusty, Dog, would you kindly translate please. ::handshake:: Thx!
8)
Sorry M&M, I was a little late getting back to you on this "Putin Post" ::skeptic:: ... here is my contribution to this thread, a Russkiy camp knife, it feels a little on the cheap side.
Attachments
DSCF3986.JPG
DSCF3987.JPG
DSCF3989.JPG
DSCF3990.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Anything plastic....well, you know. ::hmm::
8)
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:52 am Anything plastic....well, you know. ::hmm::
8)
::disgust:: ...yeah... unfortunately.... ::huff::

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

'Anything Russian...." They're trying to buy 155mm artillery from the North Koreans because their own are breaking down in Ukraine !!! They haven't made anything of quality since Faberge.

Sorry, end of rant. O' ::facepalm::
Rostovsky

Post by Rostovsky »

Lawrence wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:12 pm I have a couple of knives and I have no idea where they were made, however watching the Olympics and seeing that the Russians write their 'N' backwards, I was wondering if these are Russian. Can anyone tell me anything about these? The steel looks wierd but they are both razor sharp. cheers
These are knives of the USSR. The one with the deer is from the 1960s and was included in the configuration of the GAZ-21 Volga passenger car.The second knife is a "vacationer's" knife for opening bottles of mineral water.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Rostovsky wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:32 am
Lawrence wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:12 pm I have a couple of knives and I have no idea where they were made, however watching the Olympics and seeing that the Russians write their 'N' backwards, I was wondering if these are Russian. Can anyone tell me anything about these? The steel looks wierd but they are both razor sharp. cheers
These are knives of the USSR. The one with the deer is from the 1960s and was included in the configuration of the GAZ-21 Volga passenger car.The second knife is a "vacationer's" knife for opening bottles of mineral water.

Thanks for the information and ::welcome:: to AAPK!

John

Return to “Other foreign made knives”