Richards Sheffield England

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Rannard

Re: Richards Sheffield England

Post by Rannard »

SIX RICHARDS SHEFFIELD POCKET KNIVES

Visits to car boot sales recently produced six pocketknives from the 1950s and early 60s, all by Richards. Richards saturated the retail market with cheap pocketknives at that time. These were the 'austerity years' or 'recovery years' when, after six years of war, Britain was left with worn out industry, huge national debt and loss of empire. Not a lot of money was circulating. Apprenticeships gave Britain a skilled but low paid workforce. People needed consumer goods they could afford. For Richards, this drove efficient manufacturing and cost cutting, notably the use of pressed metal wrap around scales, some all metal and others celluloid covered. Pictorial scales added appeal for numerous different niche markets, scouting, seaside souvenirs etc. and sold in hundreds of thousands when people holidayed at home. Export markets wanted cheap goods and Richards were very profitable.

Richards didn't advertise much but pre-Internet and white van man it was a time of company salesmen on the road. They were selling what the retailer and customer wanted, pushing at open doors. These were the years of my boyhood and I remember some of the knives. Most boys of the time were glad to have one. Collectables are tangible links with bygone days, explaining my nostalgic view of these economy knives. Whether a pocketknife or a Napoleonic sword, the feeling of connection is the same, almost to time travel. With Richards knives it is back to the days of tin plate toys and pressed metal air guns like Diana and Gat.

Although cheaply made, one should not disparage Richards knives as some have lasted well. For the price, the core knife was reasonable quality. When damaged, and one frequently sees these knives with broken blades, this was due to misuse. They were priced as a schoolboy's pocket money knife, sold in tobacconists, trinket shops and other outlets. Youthful ownership explains the common damage. Richards used hard steel for blades that took a mirror polish but was prone to snapping if used as a lever and having no solid bolsters contributed to breakage at the joint.

Solid sides Lamp Post Knife
The earliest of the six knives has 'Richartz', Richards German parent company, on the main blade tang and other worn lettering, including Solingen. The converse is marked Made in Germany, so was made for export. The main blade is marked 'Lamp Post Knife' and one of the knife's steel sides has an outline of a lamppost. This is of polished carbon steel, the high quality one has come to expect of German industry. Sadly one of the three small blades has been broken.

Key ring knife with chrome plated wrap around scales
This is one I remember and it has lasted well, wrap around scales further locked in place by the addition of the bale. Unlike the celluloid covered ones, the all-metal scales overlap the side plates providing resistance to lateral movement. This is a key ring knife that can stand up to the abrasion of keys. Sadly it has no scissors. Few knives of the period had scissors, which is surprising as Balke, and Schaaf had them much earlier. Perhaps this is explained by the extra cost of making a four-piece tool, two scissor blades, spring and pivot screw.

Key ring knife number two with celluloid covered scales
The core of this knife is the same as the above key ring knife. It differs in having wrap around scales with celluloid overlay. This one has lost its bale. It is an example of Richards making different looking knives with the same core, illustrating their genius for producing variety of product at low cost.

Knives with faux mother of pearl celluloid covered scales
Of these two knives one has a blade entirely missing. It will be dismantled, revealing more of Richards manufacturing. The blade will serve as a blank for making a replacement for the broken blade in the solid sides Richartz knife described above.

Scout knife
Lightweight compared with a military jackknife, it has no tin opener/bottle opener and no screwdriver. It has a mirror polish blade. Chromed scales and marlinspike contrast with the black of the celluloid overlay making it a flashy knife, with definite boy appeal. The blade being a thin wedge it takes a good edge almost a razor. The celluloid overlay of this knife was coming adrift at one corner. It was anchored with a dab of epoxy. Unusually for a car boot purchase it was otherwise almost new.

The Richards Company was wound up in Sheffield in 1983 but the parent company Richardz is still in business in Germany making quality pocketknives. With increasing prosperity people could afford better quality knives. There was stiff competition from higher end Sheffield manufacturers and Victorinox had arrived with all their tools, notably their extremely useful scissors and Philips screwdrivers.

Inertia and lack of industrial investment was apparent in British industry long after the war. As a student in the early 1970's I was machining piston rings in a factory that used a large flat bed lathe dating from WWI. My horizontal milling machine was worn out, another wartime relic. Like Richards, the firm is no longer in business.

Hopefully I shall be able to teach my two grandsons to handle knives safely, be responsible with them and enjoy owning them. Any knife in the field or afloat needs to be on a lanyard so it is not lost, for which see the lanyard knot (diamond knot) on www.netknots.com Learning to tie this knot does require some perseverance but is well worth the effort. A jackknife without a lanyard looks naked, like a sword without a sword knot, the wrist loop that saves a swordsman from losing his weapon if knocked from his grasp. For a diver or anyone else whose life could depend on his knife, the humble lanyard is a vital addition.

27 February 2022
Attachments
Richards Sheffield kmives.jpg
Richards scout knife.jpg
Richards tang stamp.jpg
Richards scout knife blade.jpg
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Nice finds ::tu:: I pick up a fair few Sheffield pocket knives at the boot sales, usually Richard's and mainly the vinyl wrapped shell handled types , but recently I picked up this Richard's with faux stag handles , solid bolsters, really well made, I'm thinking possibly 50's as reminds me of some of my Rodgers knives of that era 👍
20220405_114918-01.jpeg
Got these 3 Richard's today , I'll take a better pic asap , there all soaking in a warm soapy oily bath ::tu::
20220412_114342-01.jpeg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This pocket knife arrived in a group of pocket knives that I bought. This particular pocket knife was NOT the target of my purchase. It is a Richards, SHEFFIELD ENGLAND, single blade with cap lifter/bottle opener. single tool (a corkscrew), one tang stamp (lamppost style), 2 3/4" closed, pocket knife. Overall, it is in GOOD condition. It required minimal cleaning.
I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Recently, this smokers tool or pipe cleaner arrived in a very large group or lot of pocket knives that I bought. This particular smokers tool or pipe cleaner was NOT the target of my purchase. But, as it turned out, it is a keeper. It is a Richards, single blade bowl scraper, pipe stem reamer, tobacco tamper, one tang stamp, 3 3/8" closed, two springs, all metal, smokers tool or pipe cleaner. The main blade or bowl scraper front tang stamp says "Richards (over) SHEFFIELD (over) ENGLAND, with a vertical lit lamppost in the center. Overall, it is in VERY GOOD condition. It required no cleaning at all. I wiped it off, I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Bowl Scraper Front Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Bowl Scraper Front Tang Stamp.

Skip
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That is a classy companion for the pipe smoker. Even better that it required only a wipe-down (I can imagine many such knives getting filthy in their intended use). Nice find, Skip...you have all the luck! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:40 pm That.....
Thank you, Dan.🍻

Skip
Gareth UK

Post by Gareth UK »

I have a few Richards in my little collection. Not a top tier knife by any standard, but they do have a fantastic tang stamp logo.
Attachments
20230330_172849.jpg
20230330_111218.jpg
20220704_113020.jpg

Return to “European-made knives”