Japanese "Sabre" Brand Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
anorak117

Re: Japanese "Sabre" Brand Knives

Post by anorak117 »

Here's mine :D Yet another one of the knives given to me from my grandpa.
Attachments
IMG_20170329_153707.jpg
IMG_20170329_153718.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I've never tried a Sabre, but I hear they're pretty good. They're known as "Japanese Kabars" as the same company that owned Kabar owned Sabre.
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Here are two that I have, a fruit knife, with bone handles, marked, on the blade, Sabre - Japan - 614. A Two blade, with pearl scales, and emblem marked Sabre, the blade is marked, American Knife Co.- Japan. It is unused, and really kind of pretty. I don't know what type of Sabre it is? Might have more Sabre brand around in my stuff, I'm just getting it gathered together, and listing it.
Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC01690.JPG
DSC01691.JPG
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Got 2 and they do good work.
Keep Near the Cross.
alabama

Post by alabama »

in the mid 60s to early to mid seventies ?-is when I noticed--sabre brand japan knives-(may not have been japan early)= when you walked in Woolworth- T.G.&Y-ect. stores one of the first thing I saw was- YOUR CHOICE-99 cents-on display were many patterns of sabre brand knives...bone handle large to small...at some time it was your choice-1.99 - then 4.99 then GONE--marketed by cole national
Bastler

Post by Bastler »

The first knife I owned was a Sabre that I bought from the Katz drug store for $1.49. They had no reservations about selling a knife to a boy in grade school. Later I bought a Kabar from the hardware store and, well...

A friend gave me a duplicate of that Kabar and now I'm thinking about that Sabre.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

my only Japanese Sabre a 644 large stockman,love this knife as got bags of character,my only other sabre is a Barlow from Ireland ::tu::
20180115_133857.png
20180115_134050.png
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I just picked up the brother to Paul’s, but it has no numbers at all. Guess I got an old one. ::tu::
I paid $8 Cdn, so I’m happy. At least, I got a knife with a lot of usefulness left in it. :mrgreen:
569590A2-C807-4D2F-B9BE-03DC8DE115B1.jpeg
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

When I first started collecting knives, before I knew of the many many different brands that existed throughout the years, I would go around looking for Sabre and Colonial knives. Not sure what it was that drew me to those two brands but I'll always have a soft spot for them. Something about the reminder of that time period when I first started to develop an interest in knife collecting.. Here's a few of the them that I purchased around that time..
Attachments
20190606_154133.jpg
20190516_133636.jpg
20180825_070050.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

michaelspayth,
There was a feller at the flea market yesterday that probably had a dozen "Sabre" brand knives. He wanted way too much for them but at least he had the start of a good collection. I just struck me as odd for there to be that many in one pile. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Someone somewhere down the line could potentially have had an even bigger pile of them and it's since trickled down to that amount by the time the collection ended up at the flea market.. ::hmm::
XNT44X

Post by XNT44X »

Does anyone know the manufacturer time frame for this Sabre and its value.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I'm going to guess the 1960's. Sabres don't bring very much money. My grandfather carried one and I have it now. They usually don't bring much more than about $10...but it's priceless to me.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I am going to guess also, but I think it’s from the 70’s. Just from experience handling these over the years. But Doc could also be correct. And he is correct they don’t bring much even in pristine condition. You have 10 dollar knife there.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

Hi all, brand new member - I discovered this forum after I discovered I had a Sabre Japan pocket knife that I knew nothing about.

After reading through this forum, I'm somewhat confused. I read that there is a model number that appears under the words "Sabre" and "Japan" on the main blade - this knife doesn't appear to have a number?? I've taken some photos so that I might get some help id'ing this knife. Thanks.
Attachments
Sabre F.jpg
Sabre Closeup - flash.jpg
Sabre Closeup - nat lt.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

ChipB wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:16 pm Hi all, brand new member - I discovered this forum after I discovered I had a Sabre Japan pocket knife that I knew nothing about.

After reading through this forum, I'm somewhat confused. I read that there is a model number that appears under the words "Sabre" and "Japan" on the main blade - this knife doesn't appear to have a number?? I've taken some photos so that I might get some help id'ing this knife. Thanks.
Hey Chip! I can't help with your knife, but others will be along who can, so stick around and have some fun! ::welcome:: to AAPK! 8)
8)
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I have a beat-up Peanut my Grandad have me around here somewhere.

Here's one that was likely made by Ulster or Schrade. USA-made and Swinden construction. Blade is identical to early production 881 and 8OTs. Handles are brown/tan jigged Delrin.

Tang stamp is "SABRE" over "USA" on the mark side, and "SABRE" over "MONARCH" over "231" on the pile side.

KIMG0822.JPG
KIMG0826.JPG
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=68550

Just figured I'd post this link here..I'm reducing the price one more time..$55 shipped CONUS.. Sabre Japan barlows are a great EDCS..nice bone scales, they take and hold a razor sharp edge...all have good snap and zero to minimal side play.. I have 4 or 5 that I cleaned up and sharpened that I carry off and on...thanks for looking 😁
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
JTBick20

Post by JTBick20 »

My Grandfather gave me this a long time ago. I think it is the Sabre 638 but there are no numbers in it. Like others have said probably not worth much but priceless to me.
Attachments
56076E11-2B26-45AE-B17D-8F020A3585B1.jpeg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is one I posted on another forum:The handles were broken when I got it(free!)so I made a new set from Plexiglass. The originals were clear as well.Note the name.
Also a Sabre Tool Box;sort of a modern day TL-29
Attachments
SabreSkeletonKnifeFree 001.jpg
SabreSkeletonKnifeFree 002.jpg
SabreSkeletonKnifeFree 003.jpg
SabreToolBox665-1.JPG
SabreToolBox665-2.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Sabre Stockman w/o numbers. Only has Sabre Japan on tang. Interesting jigging on the handles, looks like bone and not delrin. Decent little knife for $6 :mrgreen:

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

I like it, TJ👍..good deal.. I have several Sabre Japan barlows with saw cut bone scales, good, solid knives..
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I recently picked up this Sabre pen knife for a few bucks. It is 3 1/4" OAL, stainless steel, with faux MOP (or mother of toilet seat) handles. There is no pattern number stamped on it as with most other Sabres I have.
IMG_4274.JPG
IMG_4275.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:16 pm Here is one I posted on another forum:The handles were broken when I got it(free!)so I made a new set from Plexiglass. The originals were clear as well.Note the name.
Clear knives are beyond cool, but highly uncommon. Most seem to be display knives/salesman's samples, which are rare, and seem to sell for large sums.

Ontario has the "Ice" Wraith which is supposedly clear, but due to the plastic used and handle pattern, is very hazy-looking. I may have to find cheap lockback and build my own.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:55 pm
knife7knut wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:16 pm Here is one I posted on another forum:The handles were broken when I got it(free!)so I made a new set from Plexiglass. The originals were clear as well.Note the name.
Clear knives are beyond cool, but highly uncommon. Most seem to be display knives/salesman's samples, which are rare, and seem to sell for large sums.

Ontario has the "Ice" Wraith which is supposedly clear, but due to the plastic used and handle pattern, is very hazy-looking. I may have to find cheap lockback and build my own.
If you do decide to build one,I would suggest using "optical grade Lexan II" which is the material used in hockey rink windows and prescription lenses.It is crystal clear and distortion free and coated with a scratch resistant surface.It is also very expensive. The stuff I use was culled from pieces of a broken window in a hockey rink. A friend of mine's daughter works at an arena used by a minor league hockey team and he got some of it when he noticed them throwing the stuff in a dumpster.It is 1/2" thick but fairly easy to cut down.To cut shapes in it I use a sabre saw fitted with a laminate blade that cuts in the opposite direction of a normal blade and prevents the Lexan from fusing back together after cutting.
To cut it to thickness I use a standard fine tooth hacksaw with the piece clamped in a soft jawed vise and cut very slowly as it will shatter if too much vibration happens.I shape it on a 1x30 belt sander that also has a 5 inch wheel on the side using 150 grit discs and 80 grit belts.Finish sand with 220 grit wet-or-dry paper(wet) and polish with Mother's Mag Wheel Polish by hand.
Here are a couple of prototype knives I made using the Lexan.
Attachments
5LexanKnives.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Japanese-made knives”