Sakoblade´s knives from Eskilstuna Sweden

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
smiling-knife

Re: Sakoblade´s knives from Eskilstuna Sweden

Post by smiling-knife »

That's a nice MOP knife Cato. :-)
Rust Never Sleeps
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Cato, thanks! :D

Time to update this thread after way too many other urgencies of life.

The makers from Eskilstuna were many and there are way too many patterns to collect.
What strikes me as odd is that many makers used the same patterns and here is an example of that. Two small pocket knives with two blades, one knife blade and one nail file.

Simple but nice and both are stamped Eskilstuna. One is marked H&R (Hedstrom & Rosvall 1921-1930) and the other one is stamped J.W Carlsson (1910-1953).

I´m sorry for the snow! It just started when I took the pics. :)

Jim
FullSizeRender 106.jpg
FullSizeRender 108.jpg
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

I think this might be linked to the 2nd World Rover Scout Moot in Ingaro Sweden 1935 but just a hypothesis. What do you think Jim?
Attachments
Scout 003.jpg
Scout 30.jpg
Rust Never Sleeps
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

smiling-knife wrote:I think this might be linked to the 2nd World Rover Scout Moot in Ingaro Sweden 1935 but just a hypothesis. What do you think Jim?
Well I once was a Cub Scout but that is many many moons ago so I am not sure at all? But will do some research when I get some time.

Very fine looking knife, as in all your posts, and I would almost bet it is a Pontus Holmberg. They surface over here every now and then but I have never seen the Scout Rover Moot version before.

Thanks for sharing!! ::tu::

Jim
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Thanks for the reply Jim. Very well identified. The mark on the other side of the tang is P Holmberg Eskilstuna.
Rust Never Sleeps
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Was/is eskilstuna the predominant swedish cutlery area much like solingen germany and sheffield england? I've never heard of it before, nor do I know anything about it or much about swedish knives. One thing I know is that sweden has long had wonderful high quality fine grained steel, those eskilstuna knives must take a wicked sharp edge.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice knives and great info ::tu:: ::tu::

I have one from Eskilstuna from Hedengran and Son - a 4" bone handled jack with sabre ground master, pen and corkscrew... funny the pen was most likely sharpened and lost some length and shape but interestingly I have seen 2 other jacks from Eskilstuna that had a similar pen blade - coincidence or not ::shrug:: .. I think Hedengran and Son started in the 1830s if I am not incorrect and have not seen many knives from this Swedish maker... J

Jim do you have any info on Hedengran and Son?? Maybe they are more common than I believe but found this one on a local hunt....
DSCN3236A.jpg
DSCN2878A.jpg

Post by sakoblade »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:Was/is eskilstuna the predominant swedish cutlery area much like solingen germany and sheffield england? I've never heard of it before, nor do I know anything about it or much about swedish knives. One thing I know is that sweden has long had wonderful high quality fine grained steel, those eskilstuna knives must take a wicked sharp edge.
Yes, Eskilstuna has been the predominant city of cutlers for at least 200 years.
It is not known exactly how many makers we have had but some 200-250 are known today.

Swedish steel has a good reputation all over the world and I guess it helped the cutlers in their line of work.
I can personally vouch for how sharp they can get as I have cursed many times, finding a neglected and rusty and dirty old Eskilstuna knife at a fleamarket, only to find (the wrong way!!) that the blade is sharp as if it was new.

But as they say, no pain-no gain! :D

Jim
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

LongBlade wrote:Nice knives and great info ::tu:: ::tu::

I have one from Eskilstuna from Hedengran and Son - a 4" bone handled jack with sabre ground master, pen and corkscrew... funny the pen was most likely sharpened and lost some length and shape but interestingly I have seen 2 other jacks from Eskilstuna that had a similar pen blade - coincidence or not ::shrug:: .. I think Hedengran and Son started in the 1830s if I am not incorrect and have not seen many knives from this Swedish maker... J

Jim do you have any info on Hedengran and Son?? Maybe they are more common than I believe but found this one on a local hunt....

DSCN3236A.jpg

DSCN2878A.jpg
Nice jack!! ::tu::

Hedengran & Son started out in 1833 and was in business until 1916.
There were three generations of Hedengran smiths and from what I can tell from the tang stamp, it ought to have been made by Donatus Leonard Hedengran but I need to check the "bible" in the morning.

The pattern was used by several makers for all I know but will check some more and will get back to you ASAP.

And I might have seen that type of pen blade before too but I am not 100 % sure.

All the best!

Jim
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Guys, I have checked my book "Knivar fran Eskilstuna" by Arne Marmér but I have no more info than what I have already posted.

But you can check two sites for more info about Eskilstuna knives.

http://www.eskilstunaknivar.se and http://www.pimhusse.se

They are both in Swedish but there are a lot of pics and if you do a Google Translate you´ll get it. If not, just ask me and I´ll be glad to help!

And for those interested in buying a copy of the book, just PM me and I´ll send you a link to a guy here in Sweden.

Longblade, I might have one just like your Hedengran & Son but need to check later today.

Cheers!

Jim
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Jim - much appreciated ::tu:: ... I would enjoy seeing your jack if you have a similar one!!

Post by montemojo »

Great looking bunch of knives Jim, I have been wanting one of the barrel knives. They look like they would be a great fishing/camp knives. I hope that you post more of them

Monte
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is another one I dug out while rephotographing: J.A.Hellberg Eskilstuna.What is unusual about this one is the shield is on the opposite side they usually are and the back of the sheath is stamped with a name and what looks like a military serial number.
Attachments
J.A.HellbergEskilstunaSweden.JPG
J.A.HellbergEskilstunaSweden2.JPG
J.A.HellbergEskilstunaSweden3.JPG
J.A.HellbergEskilstunaSweden4.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

LongBlade wrote:Thanks Jim - much appreciated ::tu:: ... I would enjoy seeing your jack if you have a similar one!!
My pleasure! ::tu::

Well I have three similar ones, two with broken screws. Mine have ebony and buffalo horn handles, and the small blades are not the same as the blade on your knife.

But very very cool knives and I carry my complete one every now and then.

It was made by C. A. Strom by the way.

Jim
IMG_7986.JPG
IMG_8145.JPG
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

montemojo wrote:Great looking bunch of knives Jim, I have been wanting one of the barrel knives. They look like they would be a great fishing/camp knives. I hope that you post more of them

Monte
Thanks Monte! :D

Yes the barrel knives are way cool but prices are taking off compared to other knives from Eskilstuna.
I don't own one yet as I'd rather buy several knives for the same price as one barrel knife.

Here is a modern one for your viewing pleasure, a Swede 60.

Jim
IMG_7900.JPG
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

7k7, great find!

Not sure what the sheath markings stand for but cool with the "mirror imaged" shield.

Thanks for sharing!

Jim
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Here's another one for your viewing pleasure.

A small one, with bone handles, made by E. T. Segerstrom. This company was in business between 1864 and 1925. It is in need of cleaning and a whetstone.

Jim
IMG_8137.JPG
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

And two by Magnusson & Co, in business between 1919 and 1945 (-ish!).

Jim
IMG_7983.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Here are a couple more Segerstroms, one of which I posted in Knife Finds of the Day with my haul from the knife club this weekend, and the other picture are my collection of them so far by various Swedish makers. ___Dave
Attachments
Barrel knives 001.JPG
Barrel knives 003.JPG
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

djknife13 wrote:Here are a couple more Segerstroms, one of which I posted in Knife Finds of the Day with my haul from the knife club this weekend, and the other picture are my collection of them so far by various Swedish makers. ___Dave
Now that's just awesome Dave!! ::tu::
Very nice collection indeed!

Barrel knives surface over here on a regular basis but always at higher prices than what I like to pay.
But with a bit of luck I might bag one eventually.

Segerstrom beside, what other makers do you have there?

Jim
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Jim. Yeah they usually are pretty expensive, at least more than I will pay but there are enough of them around here with all the old Swedes that came here in the early 1900's and I don't think their grandkids valued them as they should have. I see them often at gun/knife shows for several hundred. I seldom pay more than $50 for them and wait for nice ones. The makers are in order left to right are the two Segerstroms, AJ Westersson, Holmberg, Jon Engstrom, APB Holmberg, Jernbologet. I hope I spelled all those correctly. I have a number of other Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian knives I'll have to shoot a picture of and post them some time soon too.____Dave
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Very nice Dave, I find the barrel knives appealling. I have'nt been lucky enough to get one yet.

Monte
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

I passed up on this one today
20170222_163817.jpg
20170222_163829.jpg
Guard was loose. As I am trying to refine my collecting

Monte
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

This is probably my favorite Scandinavian knife. I'm thinking it's Norwegian, but as far as I know, it could be Finnish or Swedish but my best guess is Norwegian. It's only marked S.B., which doesn't sound like any of the above to me. Jim, maybe you know? Anyway it's in my Scandinavian collection and it was a gift from a fellow collector and a very good friend. ___Dave
Attachments
Norwegian knife 001.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

montemojo wrote:I passed up on this one today20170222_163817.jpg20170222_163829.jpg
Guard was loose. As I am trying to refine my collecting

Monte
Monte, I have a few of those and the carbon steel in those are about as good a steel as you will ever find, and it seen as if the guards are always a little loose but never come off. ___Dave

Return to “European-made knives”