What are the Good Brands of French Pocket Knives?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
ErikB

What are the Good Brands of French Pocket Knives?

Post by ErikB »

What are the better brands of French knives? Not just Laguioles but regionals, as well? There is a lot of junk out there. I am trying to figure out which companies

I have found these brands to be pretty good.
- Fontenille-Pataud (the best but extremely expensive)
- En Aubrac
- Forge de Laguiole
- Arbalete (G. David)

Has anyone had experience with these brands?
- R. David
- Au Sabot
- Chambriard
- Pradel
- Actiforge
- Sabatier
- Homme de Bois
- PARAPLUIE À L'EPREUVE

My wife is in France right now and I am trying to give her a list of trustable brands. That's what gave me this idea.

Note: I ordered an Actiforge Laguiole from a guy named Richard Anselmo at www.laguiole.com. What arrived was defective, the blade was bent and hit the side when closing the knife. I sent it back and Richard Anselmo refused to refund or even return my knife, claiming that he was (somehow) offended. I am not sure how or why.

I suggest never, ever doing business with www.laguiole.com or Richard Anselmo.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What are the Good Brands of French Pocket Knives?

Post by jerryd6818 »

ErikB wrote:
I sent it back and Richard Anselmo refused to refund or even return my knife, claiming that he was (somehow) offended. I am not sure how or why.
He's French, that's why. :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

I'll chime in on this, even though I am certainly not much of an information source on French cutlery. I did, however, purchase several R. David French knives at the 1989 SHOT Show in Dallas. Most of the knives were horn handled knives with external backsprings including the pull ring release mechanism. The knives were very well constructed with polished stainless steel blades. I have one other R. David knife which is a large folding knife knife with horn scales, including a spear blade,a large set of scissors and a bail. The scales were set with stainless steel screws. Again, very well crafted and an unusual pattern. My takeaway was that R. David is a quality maker. Just my two cents.

Joe D.
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

From those Laguioles, I have seen:

1. Forge de Laguiole - the best
2. Laguiole En Aubrac
3. Laguiole La fidele

Keep in mind that currently the market in France is flooded with Chinese fakes.Tell your wife to buy only from reputable shops.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Other than a snarky attitude, I have two Laguoles. A Laguole Rossignol and a Laguole Veritable Brossard. Both very well made knives.
Attachments
Laguole Rossignol.JPG
Laguole Veritable Brossard.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Two companies I am familiar with that make high end(expensive)knives are J. Mongin and Eloi Pernet. Here are examples of both.
Attachments
J.MonginFoldingKnives1.JPG
JMonginYachtmansKnife1.JPG
EloiPernetKnife 001.jpg
EloiDeskSet2.JPG
EloiShears2.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here is a nice knife.
Attachments
DSCN3621.JPG
DSCN3631.JPG
DSCN3636.JPG
Joe
Sbombard

Post by Sbombard »

I bought this knife around a month ago. Any info on it would be appreciated. It has a ratchet opening and to close it you pull the ring. Horn handles and an umbrella on the blade.
Attachments
20210901_164753.jpg
20210901_164747.jpg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Erik! I believe Thiers are quality knives, and I have 2 Le Sabot(possibly a sub company of Au Sabot)folders that are beyond reproach, and VERY reasonably priced. 8)
WIN_20210901_18_49_13_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210901_18_49_40_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210901_18_49_59_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210901_18_50_23_Pro.jpg
8)
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

The only laguiole I own is by En Aubrac. Good quality but the end of the handle was ground a little unevenly, you'd have to look closely to notice it. Still, my favorite steak knife. This German laguiole store has some good information on a bunch of different french manufacturers: http://www.original-laguiole.com/index.php.

I have a fair collection of other french pocket knives and I'll limit my comments to what I have personal experience with.
20210321_134352 (2).jpg
The nontron, on the far left, is an interesting regional knife. The larger models have a rotating ferrule, like an opinel. My model with the traditional boxwood with burned decorations, but they have a variety of shapes and materials. 3rd from left is a Coursolle. They make knives with flat brass scales with a variety of figures and scenes stamped into them. Mine is a three-piece knife with a Breton fisherman and a dockside scene on the reverse. 4th from left is a Corsican shepherd's knife by an independent knife maker named Alexandre Musso. After the Opinel are two Pradel knives, one their standard pattern jackknife and the other a 4 piece sailor's knife. I believe Pradel went out of business in 1960, but they were popular enough that I often see Pradel knives for sale on ebay. Also, Au Sabot makes a knife called "Pradel" in that same classic jackknife style. Second to last a douk douk; big, solid slipjoint with a nice thin edge. And lastly, a Capucin style regional knife marked "222 Garanti", which I believe is made by Thiers-Issard. That is the only one I wouldn't recommend. Its a kinda small friction folder with doesn't retain the blade very well in either position. Also, the fully open position doesn't really extend the blade far enough to be comfortable.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I think the Opinel steel is quality, the lock seems solid. The handles are utility in nature, nothing exciting there.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
julsblade

Post by julsblade »

I can talk (a little) about Au Sabot.
I purchased one on https://knives-of-france.com/
An "Armor", a sailor type sheepsfoot with a black horn handle and an interesting shield.
That's the black horn that attracted me, never seen a sailor knife with horn sides.
As far as quality it's not really fancy (the website actually has much fancier models) but it's sturdy and you can feel it was hand made and finished by hand.
The blade is good, easy to get it sharp, and the handle is really comfortable
IMG_8407.jpg
IMG_8407.jpg (74.5 KiB) Viewed 4617 times
IMG_8408.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

We stayed at a French themed bed & breakfast recently and these Laguiole steak knives were their knife of choice.
Attachments
IMG_20210918_210124209.jpg
IMG_20210918_210134014.jpg
IMG_20210919_095401184.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Fontenille Pataud is by far the best brand/cutler...and Laguiole is NOT a brand but a town near Thiers...R.David is sort of the middle field...Forge de Laguiole is a fairly new company but good quality knifes...Dorzome is a interesting candidate...well priced and interesting designs!
All brands you mentioned are good French cutlery...as said, watch for fakes and Paki/ China junk...if you buy in France...buy at a cuttlery store only!!
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Fontenille Pataud is by far the best brand/cutler...and Laguiole is NOT a brand but a town near Thiers...R.David is sort of the middle field...Forge de Laguiole is a fairly new company but good quality knifes...Dorzome is a interesting candidate...well priced and interesting designs!
All brands you mentioned are good French cutlery...as said, watch for fakes and Paki/ China junk...if you buy in France...buy at a cuttlery store only!!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This thread has been quiet for awhile and I just received this knife from France so I'm gonna post it! It's a Roger Orfevre 6 3/4" oal slip-joint with a 12c27 sheepsfoot blade with n/n, fluted NS bolsters, NS liners and pins, and jet-black paperstone covers. I'll have to Google "paperstone" cuz this is only the 2nd time I've come across it and have no idea what it is! Solid quality folder! 8)
WIN_20220407_13_33_01_Pro.jpg
WIN_20220407_13_32_39_Pro.jpg
8)
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

Just received the 11 cm aluminum Laguiole by Arbalete (G. David) that I found on eBay for a song. A little warm soapy water and some Flitz and off we go. It could use a touch up on the edge but other than that I’m very happy. The 11 cm seems to be a sweet spot for me. The extra blade length compared to the 10 cm is an improvement and the slimmer handle is a big improvement. Click on the photo for a better look.
Attachments
A9A48C76-FE78-4A71-B2FE-90FEFE5F0C89.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very nice Joe. I've admired the all-metal Laguiole for awhile now but the high price kept me away, so congrats on finding one at a reasonable price, which was "a song" in this case. LOL! 8)
8)
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:49 pm Very nice Joe. I've admired the all-metal Laguiole for awhile now but the high price kept me away, so congrats on finding one at a reasonable price, which was "a song" in this case. LOL! 8)
Thank you. There is still one available for a reasonable price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/325202905264?h ... Sw5yZijWi7
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

joeradza wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:12 pm
Madmarco wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:49 pm Very nice Joe. I've admired the all-metal Laguiole for awhile now but the high price kept me away, so congrats on finding one at a reasonable price, which was "a song" in this case. LOL! 8)
If you’re interested I’d contact the seller to make sure there is no blade play, etc. The reason I’m pointing this out is the pivot pins don’t look as smooth/clean as the one I bought.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Some nice cutlery is on show here! The only French-made knives I have at present time are Opinels, which are great quality at a price that's more than reasonable. I have to wonder if an Opinel No. 13, at 19.75 inches overall, might even be too big for Mark!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

joeradza wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:17 pm
joeradza wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:12 pm
If you’re interested I’d contact the seller to make sure there is no blade play, etc. The reason I’m pointing this out is the pivot pins don’t look as smooth/clean as the one I bought.
I really like it when members willingly share where they got their knives when someone shows interest, so thanks very much for the link Joe. Now that really is a reasonable price for the available one, I just wonder how communicating with the seller will go cuz his description is all in French, but it's worth a try. The usual prices I've seen for these all chrome knives is over US$100. plus, so to get that one for what they're asking would be a heck of a bargain. Thx again! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Dan In MI wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:50 pm Some nice cutlery is on show here! The only French-made knives I have at present time are Opinels, which are great quality at a price that's more than reasonable. I have to wonder if an Opinel No. 13, at 19.75 inches overall, might even be too big for Mark!
You are absolutely correct Dan, as nice as that knife is 20" oal is just too big for me. I want an Opinel for my collection and was naturally leaning toward the 13 but I thought they were only about 12-13" oal, so after reading in your link they are that big it seems I'll need to change my tune. I have a Gil Hibben 18" Old West Toothpick and two Timber Wolf 17" folders hanging on my wall and those are about as big as I want. The description from your link claims the 13 was originally produced as a novelty knife, but since folks showed interest they kept producing them, but I'm sure those are people who will actually put the knife to use and not just display them like I do. It sure is nice when someone thinks of you when they see something they think you'll like! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:34 pm It sure is nice when someone thinks of you when they see something they think you'll like!
I figured the 13 might be a little over-the-top. But the Opinel No. 10 and 12 (respectively at 9 and 11.04 inches open) would be a better fit. Not sure how easily they can be found in Canada, though.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

The 12 sounds just about right Dan, 11-12" is my ideal length. I don't know either if they're available here, but if not I can always import one. I really like the models with different color handles as opposed to the usual tan color. 8)
8)

Return to “European-made knives”