Wayne Japan ?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Wayne Japan ?

Post by zed6309 »

I picked up this old medium stockman pocket knife, it says Wayne stainless on the tang stamp on the main blade and Japan on the sheep's good blade, scales appear to be real bone, ive tried researching it but can't find much info ,oh on the back of the main blafe it's got stamped no 150, the main blades tip was snapped off so I 're grinded it to more of a warncliff , thanks for any help ::tu::
2017-10-28 17.57.24.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
kootenay joe

Re: Wayne Japan ?

Post by kootenay joe »

I have had 2 Waynes. Made in Japan; in 1980's ? Lower end of Japanese cutlery but usable.
I'm pretty sure Wayne is American. Maybe someone here knows Wayne, or is Wayne !
kj
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Thanks Kj I wouldn't say this is low end though as as well made as many pocket knives I own if not better , great fit n Finnish and good quality materials ::tu::
Paul,

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I had never heard of those, let alone seen one until today. Thanks for posting. I guess I learned something new today. :mrgreen: And thanks for information KJ. ::tu:: And just for fun, I did an eBay search for those and couldn't find a single one... :shock:

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I know Mike I did the same ,found a old eBay auction of the same model but of course only a pic on the search as auction finnished, I'll take better pics tommorow in the light , but it's got brass liners, think SS backsprings,nickel bolsters ,bone scales, SS blades, match strike long pull on main blade,very smooth fit n Finnish , and nice snap, a good quality knife ::tu::

Oh and all blades have half stops ::tu::
Paul,

XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

zed6309 wrote:I know Mike I did the same ,found a old eBay auction of the same model but of course only a pic on the search as auction finnished, I'll take better pics tommorow in the light , but it's got brass liners, think SS backsprings,nickel bolsters ,bone scales, SS blades, match strike long pull on main blade,very smooth fit n Finnish , and nice snap, a good quality knife ::tu::
Thanks Paul, and I'm going to keep looking for one. I have a Japanese Sabre but not a Wayne. I'd like to have one in hand just to see for myself.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I've got a sabre 644 and I personaly think the waynes better quality ::tu:: I'll do a side by side comparison,although the sabre is well loved :wink:
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Oh and the main blades swedged at the front and on the inside middle ::tu::
Paul,

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I have a few Waynes myself...a 150, and two 108's (one with broken blade). All well used, but they look like quality knives. cheers
Attachments
Wayne Japan (4).JPG
Wayne Japan (2).JPG
Wayne Japan (7).JPG
Wayne Stainless Japan (1).JPG
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

A few pics till I take some tomorrow ::tu::
2017-10-28 17.57.41.jpg
20171030_112138.jpg
2017-10-28 17.55.12.jpg
Paul,

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I once had 3 Waynes but not any of the Waynes shown here. It looks like there was quite a variety of patterns & handle materials. There are a number of relatively short lived brands of knives made in Japan in which initial quality was low and later knives were better. Some, like Aristocrat went the other way.
Japan has turned out many high end folding knives. Wayne is not one of them. Wayne is in the low end of Japanese traditional style knives of 20-40 years ago. Same group as Frost, some of the Parker's etc. Not bad knives, just basic. Interesting now to us collectors because it is not often seen and it has an odd name for a knife brand.
kj
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Thanks Kj ::tu:: I'm still impressed with this one though, it's built quility is way better than the colonial stockman I just got and I would say better than the sabre, the bolsters actually look solid and I tightened the blades and peened it and it's defantly a solid knife, I can't see me finding another but I would grab one if i did and uh looked anything like this one ::tu::
Paul,

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

zed, if you mange to get any more Wayne knives i hope you post them in this thread, making it the official Wayne thread. I would be interested to know if you see a range in the quality once you have a few to compare. They show up on ebay often enough that by the end of a year you could have a few more.
kj
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Will do mate but sadly I'm in the uk so ebays a no no :( think this will be my only Wayne :( but it's a nice one and a good uk legal carry so will see alot of carry ::tu:: Oh fact I'm carrying it on tonight's shift ::tu::
20171031_212520.jpg
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

zed6309 wrote:Will do mate but sadly I'm in the uk so ebays a no no :( think this will be my only Wayne :( but it's a nice one and a good uk legal carry so will see alot of carry ::tu:: infact I'm carrying it on tonight's shift ::tu:: 20171031_212520.jpg
Paul,

TPK

Post by TPK »

Unfortunately, this is not my knife.

I tried to buy this beautiful 2 3/4" "Wayne 106" with long match strike pull & horn handles yesterday but unfortunately someone overbid me. ::doh:: :(
Wish I would have bid more on it but I let it get away from me. ::dang::

Anyways, I liked it so much and because they seem to be a bit rare, I thought I would add the pictures of it to this old thread for future reference. ::tu::
Attachments
s-l1600 - 2021-01-11T212947.596.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-11T212931.751.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-11T212919.701.jpg
s-l1600 - 2021-01-11T212858.692.jpg
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

zed6309 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:19 am Will do mate but sadly I'm in the uk so ebays a no no :( think this will be my only Wayne :( but it's a nice one and a good uk legal carry so will see alot of carry ::tu:: Oh fact I'm carrying it on tonight's shift ::tu:: 20171031_212520.jpg
Ebay's ban on UK knife sales is a pain. However, there are some Brits selling vintage knives on Etsy.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Nephilim wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:05 am
zed6309 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:19 am Will do mate but sadly I'm in the uk so ebays a no no :( think this will be my only Wayne :( but it's a nice one and a good uk legal carry so will see alot of carry ::tu:: Oh fact I'm carrying it on tonight's shift ::tu:: 20171031_212520.jpg
Ebay's ban on UK knife sales is a pain. However, there are some Brits selling vintage knives on Etsy.
👍 I do keep my eye on etsy , sadly most are over priced for what they are or very worn , but you do get the odd nice one pop up ::tu::
Paul,

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is one
Attachments
WayneStainlessJapan.JPG
WayneStainlessJapanTangStamp.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
TPK

Post by TPK »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:44 am Here is one
Very classy looking knife! ::tu:: :D What do you think of the quality of it? ::shrug:: Spring/Snap & Fit & Finish good? They sure do look nice on pictures. ::nod::

The one I posted pictures of above is now back up for sale by the same exact seller. ::hmm:: I bid €31 the last time and it supposedly sold for €32. Now the same seller is selling the same knife with the same pictures. ::hmm:: Seems a bit fishy. ::nod:: I may bid on it again anyways because I really like it though. ::dang:: Still have a few days time to think about it. ::hmm::

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

TPK wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:04 am
Very classy looking knife! ::tu:: :D What do you think of the quality of it? ::shrug:: Spring/Snap & Fit & Finish good? They sure do look nice on pictures. ::nod::

The one I posted pictures of above is now back up for sale by the same exact seller. ::hmm:: I bid €31 the last time and it supposedly sold for €32. Now the same seller is selling the same knife with the same pictures. ::hmm:: Seems a bit fishy. ::nod:: I may bid on it again anyways because I really like it though. ::dang:: Still have a few days time to think about it. ::hmm::
All of the above. A really nice little knife.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
TPK

Post by TPK »

knife7knut wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:58 pm

All of the above. A really nice little knife.
Thanks for the Info! Appreciate it! ::nod:: ::handshake::

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Tom! It could be a case of the winning bidder not being able to pay, or...? ::shrug:: Good luck if you decide to bid again! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:25 pm

Tom! It could be a case of the winning bidder not being able to pay, or...? ::shrug:: Good luck if you decide to bid again! ::handshake:: 8)
::hmm:: That could be a thought I didn't think of. ::hmm:: I thought it was a seller with two accounts biding his stuff up. You could be right though. It could be both ways. Seeing it your way is a helpful point of view. Yes, I will now bid on it again. Thanks! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have owned 2 "Wayne/Japan" knives, serpentine jacks ~ 3 3/8". There is nothing special about them. They are similar to the 'regular' Parker Japan knives, e.g. decent, blade edges not truly sharp, useable inexpensive knife.
I got the Wayne knives from ebay maybe 10-12 years ago for very little money because almost no one bid for them.
I see 31 Br. Pounds as at least double actual value applying market values of 10+ years ago. Value may have changed but they still are a basic Japan 1980's (?) pocket knife.
Today's low cost China knives, like Rough Rider are better made knives.
kj

Return to “Japanese-made knives”