W.H. Wragg Sheffield

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

W.H. Wragg Sheffield

Post by WelderBob »

I'm not finding much information on WH Wragg, Goins shows this stamp being used 1850 to 1875. I don't believe this knife is that old.
I'll call it a English Jack, 4 5/8", stag handles, nickel bolsters and steel liners & pins. Not top of the line English quality but a good working knife.

Any thoughts on this one would be much appreciated.

Thanks'
Bob
Attachments
IMG_6972.JPG
IMG_6977.JPG
IMG_6979.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
FRJ

Re: W.H. Wragg Sheffield

Post by FRJ »

I have one similar to yours, Bob. Mine has no bolsters and probably has been rehandled. It looks like someone tried to put a shield on it and failed. Mine may be all stainless steel. The pile side of the blade is so marked. Like yours, it is 4 5/8" long closed.
I've had this knife for 10 or 12 years. Not my favorite knife but a great letter opener.
My stamp is W.H. Wragg Sheffield England.

Nice knife you have there.
Attachments
DSCN4151.JPG
DSCN4152.JPG
DSCN4155.JPG
DSCN4159.JPG
DSCN4161.JPG
DSCN4165.JPG
DSCN4166.JPG
DSCN4168.JPG
Joe
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Thanks Joe, that's a nice letter opener you have. There is no stamp on the pile side of this one and I don't see England on the mark.
The liners and backspring are very clean with no pitting, But they are magnetic so unless its 400 series stainless I'll assume mild steel.
I was thinking its was made in the 30's to 50's, but with no country of origin on the blade it has me wondering.
Bob

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Bob: I have one very similar to yours(hollow ground?)but with horn handles. Have owned it for many years but could never successfully date it.
Attachments
W.H.WraggHornHandledFolder-2017 001.jpg
W.H.WraggHornHandledFolder-2017 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
outkast

Post by outkast »

All nice knives thank you everyone for sharing. Now on to W.H.Wragg. Tweedale's guide shows 11 different listing involving the name but only one William Henry Wragg and here's what it says.
20181115_163121.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

What led me to believe that my knife was of fairly recent manufacture was: the concave blade grind which to me was never used on older knives.The stamp itself which does not look like say turn of the(20th)century in style. The color of the steel(on mine a bluish almost chrome like look).Strangely as I examined it I noticed that the bottom of the tang as well as the inside of the back spring seem to be polished although the spring still shows some waviness. The handles are nicely fit and the pins uniformly flush and appear to be hand hammered.The nail mark almost looks to be of French origin like a crescent moon.The liners are steel(magnetic)and except for a couple tiny spiders the blade shows no evidence of rusting. I wonder if it could be an early version of stainless steel that is still magnetic?
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Ray, except for the handles the knives look the same and the nail nick is rather unique. Interesting history on the Wragg family, wonder if someone used parts at a later date to build some knives. Did some checking and the first stainless was magnetic so liners and springs could be, this one has polished springs also. Some knives we will never know the history of, this may be one.
Bob

michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Better late than never, right? Just stumbled upon this post and thought I would share mine. Love all of the knives shared so far. I always have a sportsman knife of some kind in my pocket so it's cool to know a little bit of the origins.
Attachments
20190707_134307.jpg
20190707_140306.jpg
IMG_20190707_134011.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

WOW!
Nice one. ::tu::
Joe
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

michaelspayth wrote:Better late than never, right? Just stumbled upon this post and thought I would share mine. Love all of the knives shared so far. I always have a sportsman knife of some kind in my pocket so it's cool to know a little bit of the origins.
That's pretty neat! What's the overall, closed length on that? ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

FRJ wrote:WOW!
Nice one. ::tu::
Thanks!
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Doc B wrote:
michaelspayth wrote:Better late than never, right? Just stumbled upon this post and thought I would share mine. Love all of the knives shared so far. I always have a sportsman knife of some kind in my pocket so it's cool to know a little bit of the origins.
That's pretty neat! What's the overall, closed length on that? ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Not sure but will check when I get home and get back to you.
wlf

Post by wlf »

I like that one Michael and welcome.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Apologies for the delayed response.. Here is the overall length of the knife.. Thanks again for the welcome and for checking out my knife!
Attachments
20190713_121929.jpg
Pobber

Post by Pobber »

i have a folding bowie made by w h wragg i think it was made in the late 1800 's i had it since 1983
DSC_0068.JPG
it was invented by a French admiral d'estaing during the French American war
DSC_0068.JPG
the European version is different than the British one
Attachments
DSC_0006.JPG

Return to “European-made knives”