"Edge" Cattle Knife Solingen

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
kootenay joe

"Edge" Cattle Knife Solingen

Post by kootenay joe »

"Edge Brand" "Edge Mark" and "Edge" are some of the trademark names of Gutmann Cutlery Co. a cutlery import business which began in 1947.
Early on Gutmann imported folding knives from Germany and later switched to importing knives from Japan when the "Explorer" name was also used.
I have a very well made 3 5/8" "Cattle Knife", jigged bone handles with round "Solingen" shield. Master blade has a deeply stamped ? "Cattle Knife" on the flats. Tang has "Edge/228" on front and all 3 tangs have "Solingen/Germany".
I have wondered who made this knife and now i know. Here is the identical knife marked "Wilh Wagner/Solingen/Germany" on master tang. The shield is the same round one with "Solingen" and the logo of 2 "W"'s.
Wilhelm Wagner, manufacturer of pocket knives began in 1876 and closed sometime between 1955 & mid 1970's. (I have read both dates as the WW closure). Their knives are some of the best made German folding knives along with Henckels, Bertram and a few others.
Gutmann went right to 'the top' in getting his German knives made. I have a high regard for my German "Edge" knives now that i know they are Wilh. Wagner knives.
kj
Pictures will not load. i will try again later.
hours later, same problem. I get this message "Error parsing server response".
Is this an error with my computer settings ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP6222.JPG
IMGP6221.JPG
IMGP6223.JPG
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: "Edge" Cattle Knife Solingen

Post by EyeBJoe »

Two great old Solingen knives, KJ. You've unearthed some good ones over the years. Keep 'em coming.

Joe D.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: "Edge" Cattle Knife Solingen

Post by btrwtr »

Two super knives kj! I always been fond of the deep stamps out on the master like these two.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “European-made knives”