Opening Mechanism

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Chris Pizzini

Opening Mechanism

Post by Chris Pizzini »

I recently saw a European ad for a knife that described the opening mechanism as "pump open system." A picture of the knife shows no nail nick or no buttons on the side for blade release or safety switch. It does show a back spring extension protruding on the butt. I'm thinking that this is the release mechanism. Any help would be appreciated.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Opening Mechanism

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. Sorry but without more information I have no idea about the knife you describe. Perhaps it has an internal spring triggered by pressing the backspring protrusion you describe. ::shrug:: Some pictures, or a link to the ad might help someone determine what it is. Who is the manufacturer?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Chris Pizzini wrote:I recently saw a European ad for a knife that described the opening mechanism as "pump open system." A picture of the knife shows no nail nick or no buttons on the side for blade release or safety switch. It does show a back spring extension protruding on the butt. I'm thinking that this is the release mechanism. Any help would be appreciated.
In what country did the advert originate? It’s most likely an issue with the English translation. I suspect from your description that the knife is simply a “normal” lockback. I have a rather extensive collection of French knives and French knife books and literature, and have seen the same misleading description in French knife literature that has been (poorly) translated to English. For example, one of my books refers to a Buck 110 and a Gerber Gator as “pump open knives”. Go figure… ::shrug::
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Chris Pizzini wrote:I recently saw a European ad for a knife that described the opening mechanism as "pump open system." A picture of the knife shows no nail nick or no buttons on the side for blade release or safety switch. It does show a back spring extension protruding on the butt. I'm thinking that this is the release mechanism. Any help would be appreciated.

From the description I think they call that a “flipper”. Here is a picture of my SOG Bluto. It does have a thumb stud, but it also has that extension of the blade, which you can see in the picture, it’s on the bottom. When the knife is closed that sticks out of the top of the knife and you can just push it with your finger while rotating your hand and the blade flips open.
Don’t know if that’s the same as a pump open system but it sounds like the same thing.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4416.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

From the description I think they call that a “flipper”. Here is a picture of my SOG Bluto. It does have a thumb stud, but it also has that extension of the blade, which you can see in the picture, it’s on the bottom. When the knife is closed that sticks out of the top of the knife and you can just push it with your finger while rotating your hand and the blade flips open.
Don’t know if that’s the same as a pump open system but it sounds like the same thing.
SSk
The OP stated that the backspring extension protruded from the butt of the knife. Flipper tabs are attached to the blade of the knife near the blade’s pivot. As I previously stated in this thread, traditional backspring-release lockbacks are often referred to as “pump opening” or “pump-activated” in English translations of French knife books and catalogs. To illustrate my point, I’ve attached a few (poor quality) photographs of pages from the coffee table book Collectible Pocket Knives, written by Dominique Pascal. The book was published and printed in France in 2001.
Attachments
4ADDCE66-56CC-4119-A32C-F5F89DCA360C.jpeg
C2402273-C909-41D1-8F21-735369B904EF.jpeg
96AB7C78-9DAE-4D10-95A2-5BCEFC5F8A38.jpeg
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Chris, I just noticed your PM—sorry, I didn’t realise that you were asking about an automatic knife. I believe (I’m not certain) that the knife in your photographs is spring-loaded and both opens and closes by depressing the backspring/lockbar release at the rear of the knife. If this is the case, the knife is relatively rare. I managed to find some photos of similar knives online—they’re towards the bottom of the page in the included link.

http://www.autoknife.info/French_5.html
Josh

/|\

— Hubert Reeves
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Greenman wrote:
I just noticed your PM—sorry, I didn’t realise that you were asking about an automatic knife. I believe (I’m not certain) that the knife in your photographs is spring-loaded and both opens and closes by depressing the backspring/lockbar release at the rear of the knife. If this is the case, the knife is relatively rare. I managed to find some photos of similar knives online—they’re towards the bottom of the page in the included link.

Greenman, I hadn’t heard of a pump knife before or even seen one. My mistake.
I had never seen a bolster lock either until about 8 years ago, when I found one in a colllection I purchased. I had to study the knife and finally concluded that the bolster had to move for me to unlock it to let it fold closed. About broke my thumb trying to figure that one out. Nearly sliced it on the blade too. What a dumb idea. I wonder whether those pump locks are also difficult to operate?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Greenman wrote:
I just noticed your PM—sorry, I didn’t realise that you were asking about an automatic knife. I believe (I’m not certain) that the knife in your photographs is spring-loaded and both opens and closes by depressing the backspring/lockbar release at the rear of the knife. If this is the case, the knife is relatively rare. I managed to find some photos of similar knives online—they’re towards the bottom of the page in the included link.

Greenman, I hadn’t heard of a pump knife before or even seen one. My mistake.
I had never seen a bolster lock either until about 8 years ago, when I found one in a colllection I purchased. I had to study the knife and finally concluded that the bolster had to move for me to unlock it to let it fold closed. About broke my thumb trying to figure that one out. Nearly sliced it on the blade too. What a dumb idea. I wonder whether those pump locks are also difficult to operate?
SSk
SSk, I was never a big fan of bolster releases, either. :|
I’ve only ever handled one of these backspring-activated automatics. Perhaps it was my own lack of coordination, but as I recall, it took both of my hands to open the blade. A two-handed auto-opening knife would seem rather absurd… ::facepalm::
Josh

/|\

— Hubert Reeves

Return to “European-made knives”