PUMA knifes with the Rockwell sticker

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
lwbooth

PUMA knifes with the Rockwell sticker

Post by lwbooth »

Greetings all, I have some PUMA Four Star mini's made in 2004 that have the testing sticker with Rockwell spelled in two words, "Rock Well Quality Tested". I have someone comment that is not the correct sticker due to it being divided into two words. Does anyone have any comments about this? Thanks in advance. Larry
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: PUMA knifes with the Rockwell sticker

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

lwbooth wrote:Greetings all, I have some PUMA Four Star mini's made in 2004 that have the testing sticker with Rockwell spelled in two words, "Rock Well Quality Tested". I have someone comment that is not the correct sticker due to it being divided into two words. Does anyone have any comments about this? Thanks in advance. Larry
I would be very suspicious of this for several reasons. A search of websites that have info on Rockwell testing all show it as one word. And it is not normally referred to as a quality test, it tests the hardness of a blade or other metal part after heat treatment. Is there a visible indentation anywhere that can be seen from the test?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
lwbooth

Post by lwbooth »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:
lwbooth wrote:Greetings all, I have some PUMA Four Star mini's made in 2004 that have the testing sticker with Rockwell spelled in two words, "Rock Well Quality Tested". I have someone comment that is not the correct sticker due to it being divided into two words. Does anyone have any comments about this? Thanks in advance. Larry
I would be very suspicious of this for several reasons. A search of websites that have info on Rockwell testing all show it as one word. And it is not normally referred to as a quality test, it tests the hardness of a blade or other metal part after heat treatment. Is there a visible indentation anywhere that can be seen from the test?
The normal little "hole" is there and looks correct to me.
lwbooth

Post by lwbooth »

An update on my question about the stickers. Julia Nicolai from PUMA DE (in Germany) researched my question and found that indeed PUMA did use these stickers early in 2000. They were produced by a third party who mistakenly put the space between Rock and well. I received this email from Julia:
Nicolai, Julia <julia.nicolai@pumekoe.de>
Mon, Jul 8, 3:54 AM (10 days ago)
to me

Dear Larry,

I found out that this stickers existed in the Puma history.

The knife you have is an original Puma, we sold these ones in the early 2000s.

As far as I know this Rockwell-stickers were made by a foreign supplier who spelled them slightly wrong but they were used anyway.

Later we changed them again, so this is some kind of “special edition” ;-)

If you want I can send you new ones.

Kind regards

Julia"

So, the question is resolved. It was really special for her to do this research and follow up with me. lwbooth

Return to “European-made knives”