Navajas

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
OSCAR

Navajas

Post by OSCAR »

Some of my favorite navajas....All purchased in Spain. Most were made in Albacete or Toledo.
Attachments
B977D4B4-7763-4A34-92B8-EBBD4EBB4766.jpeg
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Robo

Re: Navajas

Post by Robo »

OSCAR wrote:Some of my favorite navajas....All purchased in Spain. Most were made in Albacete or Toledo.

Nice bunch of Knives. It's obvious looking at some of them why Levine saw them as cousins of the American "Tickler". Thanks for sharing.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Quiet a wonderful group there OSCAR, do you live in Spain or just visit? ::shrug:: ::tu:: ::tu::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Doglegg : Just visited. I’m American. You should have seen the look on customs inspectors face as I had over 40 knives packed in my luggage. All legal but they had to ask me why. This was about 20 years ago. The why is because it’s not easy to find Spanish navajas in the US. My collection is varied, with knives from all over.
As for the navajas, I only know of one dealer in the states, and they only have a few. One day, I will get a French Laguiole. The pattern is similar and I don’t know which came first. The French doesn’t have some of the Spanish knives features. But I only have four that open with the ratchet.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OSCAR wrote:Doglegg : Just visited. I’m American. You should have seen the look on customs inspectors face as I had over 40 knives packed in my luggage. All legal but they had to ask me why. This was about 20 years ago. The why is because it’s not easy to find Spanish navajas in the US. My collection is varied, with knives from all over.
As for the navajas, I only know of one dealer in the states, and they only have a few. One day, I will get a French Laguiole. The pattern is similar and I don’t know which came first. The French doesn’t have some of the Spanish knives features. But I only have four that open with the ratchet.
Maybe a trip to France is in order. ::nod::
Thanks for the response. ::handshake::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

:D But the French aren’t really friendly to Americans. And those are easy to find in the USA
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OSCAR, my son lived in Germany for a while and we would visit the Alsace area of France and found the most friendly and congenial folks you would want to meet. I've had friends visit the Normandy area and told me the same thing. My son said the only ones he met that were cold to Americans was in Paris. I went into a couple of gun shops in Germany and was met with cold indifference. Almost to the point of disrespect. Went into a gun shop in France and couldn't get away for their wanting to talk guns. You might try it and be surprised. Anyway just my experiences. But when you add in the travel cost it would make for some expensive knives. :roll: :roll: ::nod:: ::nod::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I found the people in Paris to be friendly and congenial. The exception was waiters. It was the English in London who were a bit brusque and sour.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Doglegg, Good to know firsthand. You always hear how rude they are. I’d like to visit someday. Been to Spain,Portugal and Gibraltar. Found some cool knives in Portugal but none in Gibraltar. I can’t justify the trip just to add knives to my collection, but a vacation where I just happen upon knives I like, well that would be well worth it.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

The pattern is similar and I don’t know which came first.
I can't vouch for its correctness, but according to this history the Laguiole was inspired by the Navaja, so it would seem the latter came first.

https://www.laguioleusa.com/history/

Dennis
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Deo-pa, Thanks for the answer to my question. Oscar
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are a few from my accumulation:
Attachments
Navaja1.JPG
Navaja2.JPG
Navaja3.JPG
Navaja4.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Wow, those are all very cool! Thanks to both of you for posting those. I may have to expand my collection in that direction.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Knife7nutt Those are awesome! Mine are relatively modern. I need to get a few vintage ones like those. The etching on the blade are great.
Trailmaker

Post by Trailmaker »

Nice knives ---- Oscar & Knife7knut;
Always interesting to look at other styles of knives from different regions and cultures-
I know this is an old thread but:
Large Navaja - from France? maybe..
I have a large Navaja folding knife with ring lock system and stag handle. Picked it up a at a yard sale this year & haven't been able to identify yet.
Maybe someone here can look at pics and help. This thing is large to say the least, with a 10 inch blade with marks saying:
Martin Vassy on 1 side and J.C.A.B. in capital letters on reverse. Seems like quality piece and good construction,finish, blade quality,
however it has etched hunting scenes which covers both sides of blade, and i am completely unfamiliar.
If anyone has thoughts or help with the markings i would sure appreciate any feedback.
Chris
Attachments
SH109982.JPG
SH109983.JPG
SH109984.JPG
SH109985.JPG
SH109986.JPG
SH109987.JPG
SH109988.JPG
Have a Knife Day. ::watching_you::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Whoa! That is a very impressive knife. Thanks for sharing. ::handshake::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

A beautiful knife Trailmaker . I’m not familiar with the markings, and couldn’t find them in Goins book of tang identification. I can’t say for certain which is country of origin but I’d say it has a French look. Definitely an old knife.
One thing, the larger navajas from Spain typically have ratchet when opening. If it makes that noise it would probably be Spanish.
Hope this helps.
P.S. I never had luck making funds like that!!!!
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

Hope you don't mind me posting in an old thread, but I thought it would be appropriate to put this with the other Spanish navajas.
A little non-ratcheting navaja by Martinez y Gascon.
A little non-ratcheting navaja by Martinez y Gascon.
Stainless blade, horn handles and nickle silver bolsters. The blade's about 2.5 inches. I attempted a little research on this months ago. Martinez y Gascon is an Albacete manufacturer, but currently they only make kitchen cutlery. Haven't made navajas in decades, far as I can tell. So, this dates from sometime between the 50s-80s.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Nephillim:
That’s a winner. Beautiful knife. I have about 40 navajas. Most of mine made in the 1980’s.
If you ever decide to sell it, please give me first crack at it. Ratchets are usually found on the very large navajas. I have one or two and closed they are at least 10”. I’d love to find more ratchet navajas, but I like them all. Yours is awesome! Great find. Oscar
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

Yeah, I got lucky on ebay. I do have a large ratcheting navaja by Celaya, but it's not nearly as nice as that little vintage one. Eventually I want to pick up something by Exposito, but I have other, cheaper things to add to my collection first. :wink:
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

::woot:: Dang..
These are nice....I do love Navajos too...especially the older ratchet ones...

Return to “European-made knives”