German Pocket Knife - WW2 Era? Info Please.

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

German Pocket Knife - WW2 Era? Info Please.

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Hi. I purchased this pocket knife almost one year ago. It has 2 blades and a corkscrew. I don't know what material the handles are made of. It looks like it was never carried or used. I posted it in a couple of forums, but not for information about it. It is currently posted in a different forum and now I would like some information about it. About the only thing I'm almost sure of, is that this is a Peter Altenbach & Söhne pocket knife. I've found a couple of Altenbach tang stamps (last or bottom 2 pictures), but not the one on my knife (7th & 8th pictures below). I have researched and researched and researched this knife, but I come up empty and with a throbbing headache. The vendor I purchased this from (mail order), said it was a WW2 era pocket knife. It was NEVER STATED that this was manufactured for the military. It was NEVER STATED that this was made by any of the German weapons firms. There are no other markings on the knife besides the tang stamp. The letters "DH", underlined, are in a small round shield on the handle, I do not believe that these are the owner's initials. The knife measures 3 5/8" closed, 6 3/8" with main blade open and 8 1/4" with both blades open. The tang stamp, 2 pictures, has the "trademark" and on the side, GARANTIE (over) SOLINGEN. The last or bottom 2 pictures are of the 2 tang stamps that I found while doing my research. PLEASE, ANY and ALL information on this knife is welcome. Thank you.
Click on any picture to ENLARGE, except the last/bottom two.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (4.96 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
image.jpeg