JOSEPH ELLIOT & SONS

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Corso

JOSEPH ELLIOT & SONS

Post by Corso »

Picked this one up recently

3" closed sleeveboard whittler

don't know much about it but i do know Trevor Ablett used to work at Joseph Elliot & Sons
il_1140xN.2456014001_rlfr.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: JOSEPH ELLIOT & SONS

Post by kootenay joe »

Very nice example of a traditional sleeveboard whittler. Do you know what the handles are ?
I have a few vintage Sheffield knives with similar handles. They resemble ivory but i think are actually of a man made substance. Whichever, it is not easy to discern.
kj
p.s. nice vintage oak table too !
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:13 pm Very nice example of a traditional sleeveboard whittler. Do you know what the handles are ?
I have a few vintage Sheffield knives with similar handles. They resemble ivory but i think are actually of a man made substance. Whichever, it is not easy to discern.
kj
p.s. nice vintage oak table too !
Roland:I think I'll vote genuine,"pachyderm incisor" on this one.The subtle yellow streaking is not usually present in the synthetic handled knives.Nice one!
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ray, do you have some of the vintage Sheffield pen knives with the type of handle that is hard to tell if ivory or if man made ?
I bet you do because you have at least a few of 'everything'. What i am speaking of is not the so called "French ivory'. It is a synthetic that now looks like old aged ivory with almost no grain, and some old real ivory can also look like this.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:12 pm Ray, do you have some of the vintage Sheffield pen knives with the type of handle that is hard to tell if ivory or if man made ?
I bet you do because you have at least a few of 'everything'. What i am speaking of is not the so called "French ivory'. It is a synthetic that now looks like old aged ivory with almost no grain, and some old real ivory can also look like this.
kj
Roland:Actually I do have a couple of them.They are almost without exception pure white with no other coloration through them.The French ivory I am familiar with has very distinct parallel lines through it and is a pronounced yellowish tone;although I have seen some synthetics that have a yellowish streaking .
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I will look to see if i still have the knives with these 'difficult to tell' handles. They are not 'white', but more like a dirty yellow much like old ivory can look.
kj
Corso

Post by Corso »

I don't think its synthetic - I've a Joseph Rodgers in ivorine or posibly french ivory and you can tell they are quite different

I presumed this one is bone?
Sheffieldguy

Post by Sheffieldguy »

A bit late chiming in on this one! That’s one very nice Joseph Elliot whistler!! I can’t tell for sure but I don’t see ‘England’ as part of the tang stamps, which would indicate to me that it’s likely pre 1891, and my guess would be it’s real ivory. Thanks for sharing that one!!

Return to “European-made knives”