My Manual Folders!

A place to discuss & share pictures of of knives from areas of the world other than the United States, Europe, China & Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My Manual Folders!

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That Koncept knife is truly an amazing looking knife. All those are great knives. Congrats and thanks again.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, Congratulations on your sleek pick-ups. I was looking at some Al Mar knives this morning. I haven't reached a discussion on any to add to my collection. Al Mar are superb knives, maybe the best manufactured knives of their time. I am not optimistic about the companies move to China. I have the QuickSilver model. Mine has the bail or latch which covers the blade tip. However, it lacks any numbering of the blade.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:22 pm That Koncept knife is truly an amazing looking knife. All those are great knives. Congrats and thanks again.
Thank you Mark! ::handshake:: I had a feeling I was going to like the Koncept knife, but once I had it in-hand I was stunned at how comfortable it feels, and to see it in person as opposed to just a picture is like the difference between day and night. I really like all 3 knives, but the Koncept is in a league of it's own. And thanks again to you for making it all possible! 8)
8)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:59 pm Next up is an Al Mar "Quicksilver" Secret Service stiletto that's 7 7/8" oal/SS modified spear-point blade with stud and upper swedge, single brass liner, SS 2-piece body with through cuts, and lanyard hole. All the SS gives this knife a respectable weight of about 5 oz.'s, and it arrived very sharp. Shows Al Mar logo and copy number "15/200" etches on the blade. Built in Seki, Japan. Although it can't be seen in my pic, there is a small lever at the butt-end that folds open/closed over the tip of the blade, and this is the only copy I've seen without a bail. I've wanted one of these ever since I first saw them close to 2 years ago, but their high price kept me at bay, and now I own one which came at a very reasonable price due to it being used!
I have one of these knives and my only issue with it is the lock tab to retain the blade when it is closed.Mine has for some reason loosened a bit and has a tendency to let the blade open when it is in my pocket. For that reason I stopped carrying it.More of a design flaw than anything else.
Attachments
AlMarSilverEagleMarkSide.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:36 pm Marco, Congratulations on your sleek pick-ups. I was looking at some Al Mar knives this morning. I haven't reached a discussion on any to add to my collection. Al Mar are superb knives, maybe the best manufactured knives of their time. I am not optimistic about the companies move to China. I have the QuickSilver model. Mine has the bail or latch which covers the blade tip. However, it lacks any numbering of the blade.
Thank you so much Garry, I always appreciate our comments, and, I usually learn something after reading them. I am in complete agreement with you regarding the quality of Al Mar knives, it's just a shame that most are out of my buying league. The move to China certainly is troubling, I guess only time will tell. I got really lucky finding that one for the price I paid, they sell for upwards of US$350. brand new, and I would never have been able to afford that. I'm wondering if my blade is numbered due to the different latch system, perhaps the 200 were the only one's built in that style. Since you own a copy you know just how nice this knife is! I included another pic showing the latch system more clearly! 8)
WIN_20210325_19_16_08_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:13 am
Madmarco wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:59 pm Next up is an Al Mar "Quicksilver" Secret Service stiletto that's 7 7/8" oal/SS modified spear-point blade with stud and upper swedge, single brass liner, SS 2-piece body with through cuts, and lanyard hole. All the SS gives this knife a respectable weight of about 5 oz.'s, and it arrived very sharp. Shows Al Mar logo and copy number "15/200" etches on the blade. Built in Seki, Japan. Although it can't be seen in my pic, there is a small lever at the butt-end that folds open/closed over the tip of the blade, and this is the only copy I've seen without a bail. I've wanted one of these ever since I first saw them close to 2 years ago, but their high price kept me at bay, and now I own one which came at a very reasonable price due to it being used!
I have one of these knives and my only issue with it is the lock tab to retain the blade when it is closed.Mine has for some reason loosened a bit and has a tendency to let the blade open when it is in my pocket. For that reason I stopped carrying it.More of a design flaw than anything else.
Yes, yours is identical to the model I have K7K! After reading your comments I checked the latch on my knife, and it's also very loose, so much so that simple gravity causes it to close. Unfortunately, I got mine used so I don't know if it was ever tighter, but since both our knives have the exact same defect I would tend to agree with you regarding this being a design flaw. They sure are cool knives though! 8) P.S.-Does your knife have the numbering on the back blade, ???/200?
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

HA! Marco, its a good thing you like my comments because on your AL Mar I discovered I made essentially the same comment three times on two threads. I thought my first post did not print, that I had left the page too quickly after submitting it. Then I went and made some popcorn........ ::dang:: Well its a long complicated story. ::teary_eyes:: So just enjoy my many words. As Charles De Gaul once said, "Old Age is a ship wreck."
Ain't it the truth? :)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 am Yes, yours is identical to the model I have K7K! After reading your comments I checked the latch on my knife, and it's also very loose, so much so that simple gravity causes it to close. Unfortunately, I got mine used so I don't know if it was ever tighter, but since both our knives have the exact same defect I would tend to agree with you regarding this being a design flaw. They sure are cool knives though! 8) P.S.-Does your knife have the numbering on the back blade, ???/200?
When I got mine(about 30 years ago)it was called a,"Silver Eagle" and there was no numbering on it.It has also been loose since I got it and it was near new then.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:57 am HA! Marco, its a good thing you like my comments because on your AL Mar I discovered I made essentially the same comment three times on two threads. I thought my first post did not print, that I had left the page too quickly after submitting it. Then I went and made some popcorn........ ::dang:: Well its a long complicated story. ::teary_eyes:: So just enjoy my many words. As Charles De Gaul once said, "Old Age is a ship wreck."
Ain't it the truth? :)
LOL! Not a problem Garry, ::handshake:: I could read your comments over and over all day long! ::nod:: Don't ya just hate those "senior moments"? ::facepalm:: Enjoy your popcorn! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:14 am
Madmarco wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 am Yes, yours is identical to the model I have K7K! After reading your comments I checked the latch on my knife, and it's also very loose, so much so that simple gravity causes it to close. Unfortunately, I got mine used so I don't know if it was ever tighter, but since both our knives have the exact same defect I would tend to agree with you regarding this being a design flaw. They sure are cool knives though! 8) P.S.-Does your knife have the numbering on the back blade, ???/200?
When I got mine(about 30 years ago)it was called a,"Silver Eagle" and there was no numbering on it.It has also been loose since I got it and it was near new then.
Thanks for the additional info K7K! ::handshake:: From what you're telling me I think it's safe to assume that the loose latch is definitely a design error. As for the numbering...? ::hmm:: 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, I was informed by a seller that the single liner of the Al Mar is copper rather than brass. Can't judge it myself.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

This is from a AL-Mar Catalog Called QuickSilver hope this helps ::handshake::
Gary
Attachments
IMG_6206.JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:19 pm Marco, I was informed by a seller that the single liner of the Al Mar is copper rather than brass. Can't judge it myself.
Garry! I think you're absolutely correct about that. When I first saw it, I thought to myself, "wow, is that brass ever tarnished", but seeing as it's copper it looks correct. Thanks for the correction, ::handshake:: I was in time to change my post to the proper info. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

kennedy knives wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:52 pm
This is from a AL-Mar Catalog Called QuickSilver hope this helps ::handshake::
Gary
Thank you Gary ::handshake:: for taking the time to post that information, it's most helpful. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received 3 more beauties from my buddy Mark at SSk, and they're nice ones! The 1st is a Mcusta linerlock from the M-3 Series, and it's 7 1/2" oal/VG-10 drop-point blade with dual-studs, single SS liner, screw construction, adjustable pivot, blue n' gold 2-piece aluminum body, and pocket-clip. Comfortable weight of 3.4 oz.'s, and shaving-sharp. Displays Mcusta markings. Fit n' finish is perfect, and with the oiled-washer system found in all Mcustas the walk n' talk is silky-smooth. Built in Seki, Japan. Next is an A.G. Russell 7" oal all SS lockback 1-Hand folder/SS drop-point blade with thumb-hole, no liners, 2-piece SS body, lanyard hole, and stud style lockback release. Fairly light at only 2.7 oz.'s, and dangerously sharp. Shows AGR markings. Also displaying excellent F n' F, and after a couple of drops of Q.R. oil the W n' T is smooth n' crisp. Also built in Seki, Japan. And last is another A.G.R. build, and it's a 9 1/4" oal Texas Ranger Toothpick slip-joint/8Cr13MoV steel blade with n/n, NS bolsters liners and pins, and black linen micarta covers with Texas Ranger shield inlay. This one's a bit heavier at about 4.5 oz.'s, and equally sharp as the previous 2. Has a banner on the front blade with "188 yrs. of service" etched inside denoting the years the T. R.'s have been in action, and AGR markings. The F n' F are 2nd to none, and the W n' T is smooth n' loud after the application of Q.R. oil. This one was built in China. There is a perfectly placed finger-guard in the form of a bolster "ear" on the top bolster, and it's only on the channel side. This is not really my style of knife, but when I saw how big it was with that big fat blade, I decided there was a place for it in my collection, and it was the right decision! 8)
WIN_20210407_12_24_59_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210407_12_24_29_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210407_12_25_26_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

This big ole' Frost Cutlery slip-joint was just released by Customs after I appealed it's seizure, although 2 other knives were seized and destroyed as "Gravity" knives. It's 10" oal/SS spear-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters, brass pins, and I believe Rosewood covers. Quite heavy at about 8 oz.'s, and arrived treacherously sharp. There is an etch of a graveyard on the blade, and a stamp of 131 on the bolster, as well as the Frost logo and "Frost Cutlery/Surgical Steel/Japan" stamp on the front tang. This baby walks open smoothly, and talks with a loud "clack" when closing. A nice big knife, just the way I like em"! 8)
WIN_20210517_14_18_12_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210517_14_17_37_Pro.jpg
8)
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

Madmarco wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:48 pm This big ole' Frost Cutlery slip-joint was just released by Customs after I appealed it's seizure, although 2 other knives were seized and destroyed as "Gravity" knives. It's 10" oal/SS spear-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters, brass pins, and I believe Rosewood covers. Quite heavy at about 8 oz.'s, and arrived treacherously sharp. There is an etch of a graveyard on the blade, and a stamp of 131 on the bolster, as well as the Frost logo and "Frost Cutlery/Surgical Steel/Japan" stamp on the front tang. This baby walks open smoothly, and talks with a loud "clack" when closing. A nice big knife, just the way I like em"! 8)WIN_20210517_14_18_12_Pro.jpgWIN_20210517_14_17_37_Pro.jpg
:shock: :shock: WOW....that is a beast of a folder. Hefty looking blade. Sorry to hear about the others Marc. Totally B.S. call in my book.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Papa Bones wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:13 pm
Madmarco wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:48 pm This big ole' Frost Cutlery slip-joint was just released by Customs after I appealed it's seizure, although 2 other knives were seized and destroyed as "Gravity" knives. It's 10" oal/SS spear-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters, brass pins, and I believe Rosewood covers. Quite heavy at about 8 oz.'s, and arrived treacherously sharp. There is an etch of a graveyard on the blade, and a stamp of 131 on the bolster, as well as the Frost logo and "Frost Cutlery/Surgical Steel/Japan" stamp on the front tang. This baby walks open smoothly, and talks with a loud "clack" when closing. A nice big knife, just the way I like em"! 8)WIN_20210517_14_18_12_Pro.jpgWIN_20210517_14_17_37_Pro.jpg
:shock: :shock: WOW....that is a beast of a folder. Hefty looking blade. Sorry to hear about the others Marc. Totally B.S. call in my book.
Thanks Smitty, ::handshake:: it sure is a big one! And yes, Customs is B.S., and I have no doubt they take seized knives and add them to their personal collections, "but what can a poor boy do, cept sing for a rock n' roll band"! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have the last 3 knives of 25 that I received from and through Mark over at Sharpnshinyknives in the last few months, and these 3 are real beauties! The 1st one is a 7 3/8" oal Puma Medici swinguard lockback/SS dagger blade with nail-nic, NS bolsters and guards, brass liners and pins, and gorgeous genuine stag covers. Fairly light at only 3.1 oz.'s, with only the bottom edge sharp. It bears Puma markings, and was built in Germany. Next is an 8 1/4" oal GEC Tideout Beavertail slip-joint linerlock/carbon steel drop-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters, brass liners and pins, and beautiful Cherry wood jigged covers with beaver shield. My small scale doesn't go high enough so I'd guesstimate it's weight at about 5 oz.'s, and came shaving-sharp. Showing GEC markings, and built in the USA.(Sorry I included this one in foreign manufacture, I got all 3 at once so thought I'd post it here as well as the GEC forum). And last but not least is a 7 1/2" oal Moki Kaicut Hiro designed lockback/SS drop-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters liners and pins, and I believe Sandalwood covers. I would estimate it's weight at about 5 oz.'s, and this one also arrived very sharp. Has Moki and Hiro markings, and was made in Japan. I haven't been buying as often as I was, so to receive these 3 was a real treat! 8)
WIN_20210601_19_30_03_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210601_19_29_39_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210601_19_31_01_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210601_19_30_40_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210601_19_31_54_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210601_19_31_43_Pro.jpg
8)
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:42 am I have the last 3 knives of 25 that I received from and through Mark over at Sharpnshinyknives in the last few months, and these 3 are real beauties! The 1st one is a 7 3/8" oal Puma Medici swinguard lockback/SS dagger blade with nail-nic, NS bolsters and guards, brass liners and pins, and gorgeous genuine stag covers. Fairly light at only 3.1 oz.'s, with only the bottom edge sharp. It bears Puma markings, and was built in Germany. Next is an 8 1/4" oal GEC Tideout Beavertail slip-joint linerlock/carbon steel drop-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters, brass liners and pins, and beautiful Cherry wood jigged covers with beaver shield. My small scale doesn't go high enough so I'd guesstimate it's weight at about 5 oz.'s, and came shaving-sharp. Showing GEC markings, and built in the USA.(Sorry I included this one in foreign manufacture, I got all 3 at once so thought I'd post it here as well as the GEC forum). And last but not least is a 7 1/2" oal Moki Kaicut Hiro designed lockback/SS drop-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters liners and pins, and I believe Rosewood covers. I would estimate it's weight at about 5 oz.'s, and this one also arrived very sharp. Has Moki and Hiro markings, and was made in Japan. I haven't been buying as often as I was, so to receive these 3 was a real treat! 8)WIN_20210601_19_30_03_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_29_39_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_31_01_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_30_40_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_31_54_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_31_43_Pro.jpg

Really like that swing guard and the Tidioute. The Hiro is cool too, is that like regular Moki? Meaning FF and build fabulous? Good group.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Your Moki looks especially cool.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

All nice Mark. I had a hard time deciding on giving up the KAI made by Moki, it has the fit and finish you would expect from Moki, such a solid and well built knife. The Puma is sleek and gorgeous. GEC does an amazing job with wooden handles. Hard to tell that from a bone handled knife.
Glad you like them all, worth the wait.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yo Mark!
Some good lookin' iron yer bringin' home, I especially like that Moki.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ivoryman wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:09 am
Madmarco wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:42 am I have the last 3 knives of 25 that I received from and through Mark over at Sharpnshinyknives in the last few months, and these 3 are real beauties! The 1st one is a 7 3/8" oal Puma Medici swinguard lockback/SS dagger blade with nail-nic, NS bolsters and guards, brass liners and pins, and gorgeous genuine stag covers. Fairly light at only 3.1 oz.'s, with only the bottom edge sharp. It bears Puma markings, and was built in Germany. Next is an 8 1/4" oal GEC Tideout Beavertail slip-joint linerlock/carbon steel drop-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters, brass liners and pins, and beautiful Cherry wood jigged covers with beaver shield. My small scale doesn't go high enough so I'd guesstimate it's weight at about 5 oz.'s, and came shaving-sharp. Showing GEC markings, and built in the USA.(Sorry I included this one in foreign manufacture, I got all 3 at once so thought I'd post it here as well as the GEC forum). And last but not least is a 7 1/2" oal Moki Kaicut Hiro designed lockback/SS drop-point blade with n/n, NS bolsters liners and pins, and I believe Sandalwood covers. I would estimate it's weight at about 5 oz.'s, and this one also arrived very sharp. Has Moki and Hiro markings, and was made in Japan. I haven't been buying as often as I was, so to receive these 3 was a real treat! 8)WIN_20210601_19_30_03_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_29_39_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_31_01_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_30_40_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_31_54_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_31_43_Pro.jpg

Really like that swing guard and the Tidioute. The Hiro is cool too, is that like regular Moki? Meaning FF and build fabulous? Good group.
Thanks Iman! And to answer your questions, yes, the Hiro is built to Moki standards with perfect F+F and built like a tank. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:16 am Your Moki looks especially cool.
Thank you Garry. Mark was going to keep the Moki for his collection, but when I expressed interest in it he offered it to me. I will treasure and look after it for as long as I own it, and it will be returned to Mark eventually when I head for the big knife store in the sky! 8)
8)

Return to “Other foreign made knives”