My Manual Folders!

A place to discuss & share pictures of of knives from areas of the world other than the United States, Europe, China & Japan.
samb1955

Re: My Manual Folders!

Post by samb1955 »

Nice group
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

This last group is the one I like the best. Very nice looking knives.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks guys! I appreciate it! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I have a couple very nice little folders today that I received yesterday guys! They're from the Thiers Cutlery Company and were built in France. The first is a 7 3/4" OAL Au Sabot Le Roquefort slip-joint folder that has a 12C27 Sandvik SS drop-point blade with nail-nic, satin-finished SS bolsters, SS liners and pins, and dark Ebony wood scales. Weighs about 3 oz.'s, and I cut myself immediately on the scary sharp blade. This blade is so sharp that as I was pulling it through my T-shirt to wipe it, it sliced through my shirt! The knife has a very strong pull and tight half-stop, and closes with a satisfying "click" that can be heard from quite a distance. It has a stamp of a wooden shoe as well as "Le Roquefort/Le Sabot" on the front blade, and "FRANCE" stamped on the front tang, and,"12C27/SANDVIK" stamped on the back tang. The second knife is an 8" OAL Le Sabot Vendetta slip-joint folder/12C27 Sandvik SS spear-point blade minus a nail-nic, satin-finished SS elongated bolsters, SS liners and pins, dark Ebony wood scales, and file-worked spine. Slightly lighter at 2.5 oz.'s, but equally sharp blade. This knife has very similar action characteristics as the first one. There's a stamp of a headbanded man along with "Vendetta" on the front blade, "LE SABOT/FRANCE" stamped on the front tang, and, "12C27/SANDVIK" stamped on the rear tang. These knives ran me just over US$100./free shipping for both, and in my opinion they're worth twice that amount. The run-up on both knives is comparable to that of a Japanese Moki folder! Either would make for a great EDC! 8)
WIN_20200828_18_33_51_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200828_18_33_33_Pro.jpg
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Cool, you have quite an assortment in your collection! Keep posting those pictures.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Sam, will do! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I only have 12 more knives to post, so I'll do 6 today and 6 tomorrow, but I have more autos and manuals on the way, no more fixed blades currently though. These today are all inexpensive slip-joints, a couple of lockbacks, 1 linerlock, and 1 that I re-scaled. First is a 7 3/4" OAL Yahuang l/b folder/440C SS d/p blade and n/n, SS bolsters and liners, brass pins and scale accents, black abs scales, and lanyard hole. About 2 oz.'s and sharp. Has various markings including a Maltese cross etch and patent #. Next is a 7 1/2" OAL Columbia s/j folder/SS d/p blade and n/n, SS bolsters and liners, brass pins, Ebony scales, pocket-clip and lanyard hole. Another lightweight at 1.5 oz.'s, and equally sharp. Markings include a Columbia Super Knife etch. Third is a similar 6 3/4" OAL Columbia s/j folder/pretty much the same construction and markings as the 2nd knife, albeit with black abs scales and no p/c. This one's 2 oz.'s and very sharp. Next is a 6 3/4" OAL Steel Warrior s/j Dr.'s Knife/SS d/p blade and n/n, brass bolsters liners and pins, and came with dried out ox horn scales that broke into 4 pieces when my cat knocked it off it's rack. So, I used a couple of scrap pieces of composite material I had leftover from scales I built for one of my autos, and re-scaled it. I only had small amounts of scrap so I ended-up using 2 colors. Featherweight at 1 oz., but sharp. Marked only with a Steel Warrior front tang stamp, and 440 Stainless rear tang stamp. The 5th knife is an unmarked but for a horsehead stamp on the front tang, 6 1/4" OAL Jr. Sodbuster s/j folder/ SS d/p blade with n/n, brass liners and pins, and purple Pakkawood scales. Very light at 2 oz.'s, and sharp. The final knife today is a teeny-weeny 4" OAL all steel linerlock utility folder/SS spear-point blade and thumb-stud, SS body and single liner, brass pins, adjustable pivot, and lanyard hole. It weighs maybe an oz., and this is only due to it's all steel construction. The only markings are a STAINLESS/TAIWAN front tang stamp. A perfect little box opener! These 6 would all make great EDC's, since they're solid, sturdy, inexpensive pieces that would take all the abuse one could throw at them! 8)
WIN_20200830_13_27_53_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200830_13_28_12_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200830_13_29_22_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200830_13_28_46_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200830_14_43_58_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200830_13_29_47_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200830_13_30_12_Pro.jpg
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Another nice group, we'll look at all you want to show us.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you kindly Sam! I only have half a dozen left that I'll post tomorrow, but I have a few on the way that I'll post as they arrive! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well, these last knives complete my current collection guys, until more arrive anyway! lol! The first knife is a 6 3/8" OAL Mcusta "Basketweave" linerlock folder/VG-10 stainless Damascus drop-point blade riding on oiled washers and thumb-stud, stainless Damascus through construction body, a single stainless liner, stainless screws, adjustable pivot, and no pocket-clip. Being all steel this one weighs-in at about 3 oz.'s, and came incredibly sharp. Has "MCUSTA" and "VG-10 SEKI JAPAN" etch on the front blade. I was told that I was going to like this knife, and as soon as I handled it I knew what they meant. I could hold this knife and 1-hand open/close it all day long! I have 2 more Mcustas coming in the near future, and I'm giving serious thought to collecting all 7 from the M-3 series. Next up is a knife that came with the above Mcusta, and it's also a really nice little folder. It's a 7" OAL Marbles lockback/SS d/p blade with n/n, NS intricately engraved bolsters, brass liners and pins, and dark horn black/white swirl scales. Nice weight at about 2.5 oz.'s, and finely honed blade. There is an eagle perched on a knife and registered trademark etch on the front blade, "MARBLES" and r/t/m stamp on the front tang, and "HANDMADE/SEKI-JAPAN" stamp on the back tang. This is a really nice EDC knife! Third in line is another 7" OAL Marbles lockback offering/SS d/p blade with a 20% swedge on the tip and n/n, NS accented bolsters, brass liners scale inlay and pins, what are likely Rosewood scales, and lanyard hole. A bit lighter at 2.2oz.'s, and equally sharp blade. It has the same stamps as the previous Marbles. I received these first 3 pieces from my friend Mark at SSK! Up next we have a Taylor Cutlery Elk Horn e-z open slip-joint folder/SS sheepfoot blade with n/n, brass bolsters liners shield and pins, and faux MOP scales. All the brass gives the knife a weight of only about 2 oz.'s, and it arrived very sharp. There's an "ELK HORN"/SURGICAL 1980" stamp on the front tang, as well as a "TAYLOR CUTLERY/JAPAN" stamp on the rear tang, and a scale shield with an ELK HORN stamp. This knife has a firm half-stop, and a loud "click" when closing. The fifth knife is a CRKT Ken Steigerwalt designed "Quill" slip-joint folder that's 5 1/8" OAL/SS spear-point blade with n/n, SS bolsters liners and pins, dark horn scales, and lanyard hole. A real lightweight at just under 1.5 oz.'s, but came well sharpened. The markings are a "CRKT" etch on the front blade, and, "QUILL/STEIGERWALT DESIGN" etch on the back blade. This knife holds a special place in my collection, in that, it was the first auction I participated in on ebay, as well as being the first knife I ever received from ebay! Second to last is Seki-Japan built "Ant-2" linerlock folder/a SS d/p blade with thumb-stud, all brushed steel body construction with engraving, ball-release single liner closing, SS invisible pins, and lanyard hole. Nice weight at about 3.5 oz.'s, and razor-sharp blade. There's an ant and "ANT" stamped on the front tang, and "SEKI-JAPAN" stamped on the back tang. As you would guess, this knife's blade closes by depressing the silver ball on the front and then folding the blade closed. Nice little knife! And finally, I thought I'd throw-in my Dark Side Blades straight-razor, only because it folds! This one's 10" OAL fully extended/SS 5mm razor blade, SS liners and screws, and black/silver Grim Reaper engraved scales. Substantial weight at about 5 oz.'s, and, this is the 1st time I've said this for all the knives I've posted, it came as DULL as a butter knife! Has etchings of the Dark Side logo and "DEATH" on the front blade, as well as "DS-016"/STAINLESS/USA DESIGN/HANDCRAFTED IN CHINA" and "Dark Side Blades" etches on the back blade. I suppose this razor could be sharpened, but that would mean I was going to use it, and I try to shave as infrequently as possible, or, to use as a weapon, and since I have no desire to do any harm, it'll stay dull! 8)
WIN_20200831_12_07_56_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200831_12_08_53_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200831_12_09_49_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200831_12_10_33_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200831_12_11_10_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200831_12_11_47_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200831_12_13_02_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

All very nice. I have only had a few CRKT knives and everyone that I have handled was a well made nice knife. Of course my favorite one there is the Mcusta, it just doesn’t get better than that.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! And I'm in total agreement with you on both counts, CRKT does produce some decent knives, and, you can't get better than the Mcustas, such beautiful well-built knives! 8)
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Another nice group, the top knife trips my trigger.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yah, it's a beauty huh Sam! That's the last of my collection, but I'll post more as they arrive! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well that didn't take too long! I made my last post on August 31st, and I had a beauty arrive in today's mail. This came as almost a complete surprise, due to it being ordered on June 29th, and finally delivered on September 4th, as well as the tracking saying that it had been returned to the seller on July 28th because of a damaged package. I was issued a full refund by ebay, which I'll have to correct, because I don't want the seller to be out the money for something that was out of his control. It's a beautiful 8 3/4" OAL reverse-fulcrum release stiletto hand-made by J.J. Martinez in Spain/SS spear-point blade with nail-nic, NS accented bolsters and lever, SS liners, brass pins, and genuine stag scales. Weighs just over 3 oz.'s, and came scary-sharp. There is "J. J. MARTINEZ/SANTA CRUZ" stamped on the front tang, and, "HECHO EN ESPANA" stamped on the rear tang. To close the blade one must pull-up on the fulcrum lever and fold closed, hence the "reverse" fulcrum. I really liked this knife when I first saw it, and it didn't disappoint in person, especially after it appeared all was lost! 8)
WIN_20200904_17_47_45_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received these 3 knives in today's mail fellas, and I got them from my friend Mark at SSK(Sharpnshinyknives)! There's a bit of history behind a couple of them, so I'll relay a little of it to you. The first knife is a Finka NKVD Russian folder that I saw about a year ago on a Russian knife website. They had about 6 different models all dependant on what embellishments one desired, ranging from US$170.-US$600.+, mostly due to which exotic steel you wanted. I very much liked the design of the knife but didn't want to pay that kind of money for one, so, I put it on my "Watch List" for future consideration. In the meantime I saw copies on some of the Chinese sites priced at about US$28., but being short of money at the time I didn't pull the trigger for one. Sure enough, when I was finally in a position to purchase one, they were sold out. I kept checking for them to be back in stock but always drew a blank. Then, about 2 months ago they showed up on ebay, priced from US$35.-$45.! Around the same time they were back in stock on a Chinese site, slightly cheaper, so I ordered one. I watched a YouTube vid of the knife in which the seller was pulling the blade from it's channel about 25 degrees and then "flicking" it open the rest of the way. This was cause for concern for me because, I knew from personal experience this was a favorite trick of Canada Customs, thus allowing them to seize it as a gravity knife. I was hoping against hope that mine would squeak through, but then the letter arrived from Customs informing me my knife had been seized as a prohibited gravity knife. RIDICULOUS, I agree! My wheels started turning and I realized that my packages from Mark came through a different Customs station than my packages from China, a much less anal location, so I asked Mark if he would order me one from ebay, and send it along with other knives I'd bought from him, which he was happy to do. As an added precaution I asked Mark to tighten the adjustable pivot as much as possible, just to ensure that should the "flick" trick be attempted the blade wouldn't budge, and he did. My added precaution turned out to be unnecessary as the package wasn't even inspected, but it made waiting for my knife a lot easier. The knife is an 8 3/4" OAL Finka NKVD Russian lockback folding swinguard/SS drop-point blade with blood groove floating swinguard and s/g mounted thumb-stud, SS bolsters liners pins and lanyard tube, adjustable pivot, and black+white ABS scales with Soviet symbol inlays on both sides. A hefty piece weighing about 5 oz.'s, and arrived relatively sharp. It's totally unmarked, but I know it came from China. A well-built clone for only a fraction of the cost of an original, and only made possible through Mark's generosity! The second knife also has a little history in that, I've had it on my radar to purchase for sometime now, and once again was received through Mark's help. This knife was an ebay auction item, and the seller wouldn't ship outside the US, so Mark bid on it and won it for me. An added perk for this knife was that Mark sold it to me at cost, because he wanted to show me his appreciation for being a good customer, a gesture I'll always be grateful for. It tuned out to be a lot smaller than I thought it was, and only recently discovered that this model comes in 3 different sizes, with the one I received being the smallest at only 6"'s. I will keep an eye out for the largest model to compliment the smaller, and I'll post it when I find one. It's a Kershaw 2410 linerlock folder that's 6" OAL/SS drop-point blade with thumb-stud, what is likely an aluminum body with black rubber cross-cut inlays, adjustable pivot, and SS single liner. This one's featherweight at only 1 1/3 oz.'s, but very sharp. Has a "kershaw" stamp on the front tang, and "2410/JAPAN" stamped on the back tang. This knife won't be new to many of you, but one I've wanted ever since I first saw it. And, the final knife today is the crown jewel of the 3, a beautiful Paragon lockback folder that's 8 1/4" OAL with a SS drop-point blade that has a thumb cutout for opening, SS liners and pins, and deep black Micarta scales that are gorgeous! Not sure of the weight of this one, but I think 5 oz.'s would be a fair guesstimate, and came razor-sharp, so much so that I immediately cut myself! There's the Paragon phoenix logo along with "PARAGON" stamped on the front tang, and, "SEKI CITY/JAPAN" stamped on the rear tang. I got this knife directly from Mark's SSK store, and he was kind enough to hold it for me until I could afford to purchase it. This knife is an excellent example of Japanese workmanship, and I wouldn't dream of ruining it by putting it to work! 8)
WIN_20200909_12_16_07_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200909_12_18_26_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200909_12_17_30_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I like that Mark, the stag on that looks great.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! It's very similar to the other Spanish folder with staggered scales that I posted, but this one is much more streamlined and not as chunky as the other one. Especially nice since it appeared it was returned to sender! 8)
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I'm liking it!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I was wondering where you were Sam! Thanks, they're pretty cool huh? 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

After eye-balling, doing research on, and searching for a reasonable price, I pulled the trigger on this cool little folder 2 weeks ago, and it arrived this morning. I bought it from a Chinese site, and due to the quick delivery as well as the postmark and tracking info, I can only deduce that the seller has a Canadian warehouse. It's a CRKT 7096 CEO A/O linerlock folder that's 7 5/8"/SS clip-point blade riding on roller bearing washers, and thumb-stud, SS liners, screw construction, adjustable pivot, black G-10 scales, and pocket-clip. Very light at a touch over 2 oz.'s, and shaving sharp. Has "CRKT" etch on the front blade, and, "7096/CEO/RODGERS DESIGN" etch on the back blade. I paid CDN$24./delivered, and have seen them with asking prices of upwards of US$70., and even higher for the newer all-black and lime green bamboo models. This knife has the absolute smoothest opening action I've yet to feel on any A/O knife I've handled to date. It requires a bit of getting use to due to the knife being so slim and my hands being so big, but once I perfected it, I can open it as fast as any auto I own. Just a great knife, ::tu:: I suggest everyone get one! 8)
WIN_20200916_10_52_20_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200916_20_22_12_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That is a nice knife Mark. I looked that one up on Ebay and prices range from 39.95 up to about 69. I would say you got a heck of good deal on that.
That is one that I will be watching for in the future.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! It sure feels like I got a good deal on this one since the ones you saw are in US dollars, so I'd have to add close to 40% exchange, in fact, I had to correct my price because it was CDN$24., not US$24.! The descriptions tout the knife as a "gentleman's" folder, and after seeing and handling it I certainly see what they mean. This one could be slipped into the pocket of one's shirt and it wouldn't seem like anymore than a pen you were carrying. Really glad I finally got one, you should too, you'll really like it! 8)
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Another nice score for you!!!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you Sam! Due to the quality and the price it does feel like a "score"! 8)
8)

Return to “Other foreign made knives”