My Manual Folders!

A place to discuss & share pictures of of knives from areas of the world other than the United States, Europe, China & Japan.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My Manual Folders!

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:53 pm Marco, while your knife is appealing, and I definitely understand the price issue, still I would not knowingly purchase a fraudulent knife which allows someone to dishonestly benefit from someone else's work. You might send a photo of the knife to Benchmade if you have any information about its source.
Garry! The knife came from China, as I'm sure you've deduced, and I'm also fairly sure that Benchmade is fully aware that their products are being copied in China, but even if they weren't, I would be the last person to lend a hand to a company that unjustly sued a good friend of mine over a patent infringement that they didn't legally own. Sorry, ::handshake:: just how I feel about it! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Hi Marco. Well, that is certainly interesting background. ::hmm::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I got these 3 in today guys, via my friend Mark at SSk! First up is a 9" oal J. Russell Green River Knife Works Barlow style E-Z open slip-joint folder/SS drop-point blade with n/n, SS bolsters and liners, brass pins, and saw-cut toasted brown bone scales. Has "Russell Green River Works" etched on the front blade, along with a diamond logo stamped on the tang, and, "SOLINGEN/GERMANY" stamped on the back tang. There is also an "R" with an arrow going through it stamped on both bolsters. My small scale doesn't go high enough to get an accurate weight, but I'd guesstimate about 5 oz.'s, and came freshly sharpened by Mark. Being the very first Barlow I've ever owned I was quite surprised at it's 9" length, but being a lover of big knives I didn't mind one bit! Next up is a Kershaw 2420 8" oal linerlock folder/half-stop, SS spear-point blade with thumb-stud, aluminum body with textured Delrin inserts, adjustable pivot, and pocket-clip. Is marked with a "Kershaw" stamp on the front tang, as well as "KAI/2420/JAPAN" stamped on the back tang. For a larger knife it has a surprising weight of only 3.2 oz.'s, and was also sharpened by Mark. This knife comes in 3 sizes, 6", 6 3/4", and 8", and I now have the smallest and, the largest, with no plans on getting the middle size. This brings us to my new pride and joy, an SSk Exclusive Limited Edition of 50 ANZ433 Moki 7 1/4" oal lockback folder/VG-10 clip-point blade with top-swedge and n/n, SS bolsters liners and pins, blue Lapis jigged bone scales, and lanyard hole. These knives have Mark's SSk logo along with "Exclusive Special Edition of 50" etched on the front blade, as well as a front tang stamp of "MOKI", and, "VG-10/JAPAN" stamp on the rear tang. It weighs a very comfortable touch over 3 oz.'s, and needed no further sharpening than what the factory did. The run-up on this knife is so tight that it looks like 1-piece of steel, something these Moki's are known for. I was privy to this knife's arrival, and believe me, it was worth the wait, an absolutely beautiful, classy knife! Thanks Mark for making them available to all us knifers! Please excuse the poor pictures, it's the best my laptop can do! 8)
WIN_20201209_15_01_16_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201209_15_00_20_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201209_15_00_55_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201209_15_00_00_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, what a haul. I love the big Barlows; that your Green River is E/O just adds to the pleasure.

The clean lines of the Kershaws have great appeal. A fine pattern.

The SSK Moki is sheer beauty. Congratulations on all of them. You have had quite a day. ::ds::
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Nice score, never seen a barlow that big. It's a wopper!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks guys, ::handshake:: I appreciate your comments! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Very nice Mark, but I’m a bit biased. Glad you like them all. I thought that Barlow would make you happy with it’s size. It’s a mirror image of an older original Russell GRW.
That must be your first Moki? Every time someone gets their first one, they are just in awe of the fit and finish and the tight run up. Moki’s are what lite a fire in me for collecting. I just didn’t know how good it gets. I’m proud to offer those and grateful for the business from you and many others.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:08 am Very nice Mark, but I’m a bit biased. Glad you like them all. I thought that Barlow would make you happy with it’s size. It’s a mirror image of an older original Russell GRW.
That must be your first Moki? Every time someone gets their first one, they are just in awe of the fit and finish and the tight run up. Moki’s are what lite a fire in me for collecting. I just didn’t know how good it gets. I’m proud to offer those and grateful for the business from you and many others.
You have a right to be a little biased Mark, they come from your imagination! You're aware of my liking of big knives, and my new Barlow totally fits the bill. Yes, this is my 1st. Moki, but definitely not my last! I've been watching the one in your store with the reddish-brown jigged scales, and the only reason I haven't jumped on it is it's shorter length, but had it been a 433 I'd have bought it by now. Such fine looking knives! Now, let's get the rest of them sold so we can see what you have in store for us next! Thanks again for making them available! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received this set of IC Cut lockback folders today from Mark at SSk(Sharpnshinyknives), and these are 2 beautiful knives! The larger model is 7 3/4" oal, and the smaller 5 1/4" oal, and both have SS drop-point blades with n/n's, NS bolsters liners and pins, and rich colored Stamina wood covers. Respective weights are about 5 and 1.5 oz.'s, and both came ridiculously sharp. They both display IC Cut markings, and the fit and finish is superb. Built in Seki, Japan. The lockback release is silky-smooth, and both close with a resounding "click". Before purchasing Mark told me he has only ever seen the 2 sets of these knives that he has, so if I bought a set I'd be the exclusive Canadian owner, and he'd be the exclusive American owner, and I liked that idea, so I bought one, and I'm glad I did! 8)
WIN_20210107_13_39_37_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210107_13_39_57_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210107_13_40_36_Pro.jpg
8)
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Looks like dad and son, nice score on those.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks buddy, ::handshake:: appreciate it! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Hey guys! I haven't posted in this thread for about a month because I've been busy over in the "Comfort Knives" thread, but I recently picked-up this beautiful little folder and I gotta show it to you! It has an interesting history in that, it was a genuine prototype commissioned by Blackjack Knives to be built by Seki in Japan, but it never went into production, only a few were hand-made, and the paperwork claims it's very rare. I had a deal set-up with a fellow member to purchase his copy, but when the deal fell through I found this one on Ebay along with another one that has slight differences. This copy and the copy our fellow member has have a tang stamp of "FLT-1", but the one on Ebay that I didn't buy has the official Blackjack logo and words for it's tang stamp, and an asking price of US$1498., so I'm very curious which model is more rare and valuable. The attached paperwork is from Jemmy Iwahara, the same fella that Mark(SSk)deals with, so I sent him an email asking if he could tell me why the 2 knives are different and exactly who built them, and when he replies I'll let you all know. The knife is a Blackjack Donnybrook linerlock, and is 8 3/8" oal/SS dagger blade with stud, NS bolsters, brass liners, and black ringed micarta covers. Fairly heavy at about 5 oz.'s, and only the bottom edge is sharp. Marked with "FLT-1" on the front tang, and "Seki-Japan" on the back tang. I paid-up a bit for this one, but I love it so much, and it's my idea of a perfect knife! If you click-on any of the pics they will expand, and if you click-on it again it will enlarge so you can read the letter! Thanks for looking! 8)
WIN_20210215_13_24_56_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210215_13_25_19_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210215_13_25_45_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210215_19_31_18_Pro.jpg
EDIT: I heard back from Jemmy guys, and he said he can't explain the different tang stamps but they didn't usually stamp their protos although he couldn't really recall from over 30 years ago, the protos were built by Mr. Noda whom I'm going to assume is/was a famous Japanese builder, and the value is whatever current collectors value would be. Not an awful lot more info, but a little bit though! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking Sekis, Mark! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:54 am Great looking Sekis, Mark! ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks John! ::handshake:: It really is a cool little folder! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received 3 real nice linerlock folders today courtesy of my friend Mark at SSk, and I couldn't wait to show them to you fellas! The 1st knife is a Catoctin Cutlery/Koncept Knives K4401 "Back Alley Fighter" that's 8 3/4" oal/SS dagger blade with stud, single SS liner, screw construction, adjustable pivot, black aluminum covers, and lanyard hole. Fairly light at just 3.5 oz.'s, and came incredibly sharp. Displays a K/K logo stamp on both sides of the covers. Built in the US.(Sorry I posted this one here!)This is one beautiful knife! Next up is an Al Mar "Quicksilver" Secret Service stiletto that's 7 7/8" oal/SS modified spear-point blade with stud and upper swedge, single copper liner, SS 2-piece body with through cuts, and lanyard hole. All the SS gives this knife a respectable weight of about 5 oz.'s, and it arrived very sharp. Shows Al Mar logo and copy number "15/200" etches on the blade. Built in Seki, Japan. Although it can't be seen in my pic, there is a small lever at the butt-end that folds open/closed over the tip of the blade, and this is the only copy I've seen without a bail. I've wanted one of these ever since I first saw them close to 2 years ago, but their high price kept me at bay, and now I own one which came at a very reasonable price due to it being used! And the last knife is an unnamed Kabar stiletto that's 7 1/4" oal/D2 steel dagger blade with top swedge, stud, and dual-flippers, single SS liner, adjustable pivot, grey aluminum covers, and pocket-clip. The aluminum keeps the weight down to only 2.3 oz.'s, and also very sharp. This one displays Kabar and Dozier Design etches. Also built in Japan. Three more gorgeous stilettos to add to my collection! 8)
WIN_20210325_12_43_33_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210325_12_42_16_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210325_12_42_58_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That Koncept knife is truly an amazing looking knife. All those are great knives. Congrats and thanks again.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, Congratulations on your sleek pick-ups. I was looking at some Al Mar knives this morning. I haven't reached a discussion on any to add to my collection. Al Mar are superb knives, maybe the best manufactured knives of their time. I am not optimistic about the companies move to China. I have the QuickSilver model. Mine has the bail or latch which covers the blade tip. However, it lacks any numbering of the blade.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:22 pm That Koncept knife is truly an amazing looking knife. All those are great knives. Congrats and thanks again.
Thank you Mark! ::handshake:: I had a feeling I was going to like the Koncept knife, but once I had it in-hand I was stunned at how comfortable it feels, and to see it in person as opposed to just a picture is like the difference between day and night. I really like all 3 knives, but the Koncept is in a league of it's own. And thanks again to you for making it all possible! 8)
8)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:59 pm Next up is an Al Mar "Quicksilver" Secret Service stiletto that's 7 7/8" oal/SS modified spear-point blade with stud and upper swedge, single brass liner, SS 2-piece body with through cuts, and lanyard hole. All the SS gives this knife a respectable weight of about 5 oz.'s, and it arrived very sharp. Shows Al Mar logo and copy number "15/200" etches on the blade. Built in Seki, Japan. Although it can't be seen in my pic, there is a small lever at the butt-end that folds open/closed over the tip of the blade, and this is the only copy I've seen without a bail. I've wanted one of these ever since I first saw them close to 2 years ago, but their high price kept me at bay, and now I own one which came at a very reasonable price due to it being used!
I have one of these knives and my only issue with it is the lock tab to retain the blade when it is closed.Mine has for some reason loosened a bit and has a tendency to let the blade open when it is in my pocket. For that reason I stopped carrying it.More of a design flaw than anything else.
Attachments
AlMarSilverEagleMarkSide.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:36 pm Marco, Congratulations on your sleek pick-ups. I was looking at some Al Mar knives this morning. I haven't reached a discussion on any to add to my collection. Al Mar are superb knives, maybe the best manufactured knives of their time. I am not optimistic about the companies move to China. I have the QuickSilver model. Mine has the bail or latch which covers the blade tip. However, it lacks any numbering of the blade.
Thank you so much Garry, I always appreciate our comments, and, I usually learn something after reading them. I am in complete agreement with you regarding the quality of Al Mar knives, it's just a shame that most are out of my buying league. The move to China certainly is troubling, I guess only time will tell. I got really lucky finding that one for the price I paid, they sell for upwards of US$350. brand new, and I would never have been able to afford that. I'm wondering if my blade is numbered due to the different latch system, perhaps the 200 were the only one's built in that style. Since you own a copy you know just how nice this knife is! I included another pic showing the latch system more clearly! 8)
WIN_20210325_19_16_08_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:13 am
Madmarco wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:59 pm Next up is an Al Mar "Quicksilver" Secret Service stiletto that's 7 7/8" oal/SS modified spear-point blade with stud and upper swedge, single brass liner, SS 2-piece body with through cuts, and lanyard hole. All the SS gives this knife a respectable weight of about 5 oz.'s, and it arrived very sharp. Shows Al Mar logo and copy number "15/200" etches on the blade. Built in Seki, Japan. Although it can't be seen in my pic, there is a small lever at the butt-end that folds open/closed over the tip of the blade, and this is the only copy I've seen without a bail. I've wanted one of these ever since I first saw them close to 2 years ago, but their high price kept me at bay, and now I own one which came at a very reasonable price due to it being used!
I have one of these knives and my only issue with it is the lock tab to retain the blade when it is closed.Mine has for some reason loosened a bit and has a tendency to let the blade open when it is in my pocket. For that reason I stopped carrying it.More of a design flaw than anything else.
Yes, yours is identical to the model I have K7K! After reading your comments I checked the latch on my knife, and it's also very loose, so much so that simple gravity causes it to close. Unfortunately, I got mine used so I don't know if it was ever tighter, but since both our knives have the exact same defect I would tend to agree with you regarding this being a design flaw. They sure are cool knives though! 8) P.S.-Does your knife have the numbering on the back blade, ???/200?
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

HA! Marco, its a good thing you like my comments because on your AL Mar I discovered I made essentially the same comment three times on two threads. I thought my first post did not print, that I had left the page too quickly after submitting it. Then I went and made some popcorn........ ::dang:: Well its a long complicated story. ::teary_eyes:: So just enjoy my many words. As Charles De Gaul once said, "Old Age is a ship wreck."
Ain't it the truth? :)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 am Yes, yours is identical to the model I have K7K! After reading your comments I checked the latch on my knife, and it's also very loose, so much so that simple gravity causes it to close. Unfortunately, I got mine used so I don't know if it was ever tighter, but since both our knives have the exact same defect I would tend to agree with you regarding this being a design flaw. They sure are cool knives though! 8) P.S.-Does your knife have the numbering on the back blade, ???/200?
When I got mine(about 30 years ago)it was called a,"Silver Eagle" and there was no numbering on it.It has also been loose since I got it and it was near new then.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:57 am HA! Marco, its a good thing you like my comments because on your AL Mar I discovered I made essentially the same comment three times on two threads. I thought my first post did not print, that I had left the page too quickly after submitting it. Then I went and made some popcorn........ ::dang:: Well its a long complicated story. ::teary_eyes:: So just enjoy my many words. As Charles De Gaul once said, "Old Age is a ship wreck."
Ain't it the truth? :)
LOL! Not a problem Garry, ::handshake:: I could read your comments over and over all day long! ::nod:: Don't ya just hate those "senior moments"? ::facepalm:: Enjoy your popcorn! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

knife7knut wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:14 am
Madmarco wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 am Yes, yours is identical to the model I have K7K! After reading your comments I checked the latch on my knife, and it's also very loose, so much so that simple gravity causes it to close. Unfortunately, I got mine used so I don't know if it was ever tighter, but since both our knives have the exact same defect I would tend to agree with you regarding this being a design flaw. They sure are cool knives though! 8) P.S.-Does your knife have the numbering on the back blade, ???/200?
When I got mine(about 30 years ago)it was called a,"Silver Eagle" and there was no numbering on it.It has also been loose since I got it and it was near new then.
Thanks for the additional info K7K! ::handshake:: From what you're telling me I think it's safe to assume that the loose latch is definitely a design error. As for the numbering...? ::hmm:: 8)
8)

Return to “Other foreign made knives”