My Manual Folders!

This place is specifically allocated for discussing and showing off those knives from areas of the world other than the United States.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My Manual Folders!

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:22 pm

That Koncept knife is truly an amazing looking knife. All those are great knives. Congrats and thanks again.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:36 pm

Marco, Congratulations on your sleek pick-ups. I was looking at some Al Mar knives this morning. I haven't reached a discussion on any to add to my collection. Al Mar are superb knives, maybe the best manufactured knives of their time. I am not optimistic about the companies move to China. I have the QuickSilver model. Mine has the bail or latch which covers the blade tip. However, it lacks any numbering of the blade.
"Life is good if you don't weaken." AG Russell

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:01 am

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:22 pm
That Koncept knife is truly an amazing looking knife. All those are great knives. Congrats and thanks again.
Thank you Mark! ::handshake:: I had a feeling I was going to like the Koncept knife, but once I had it in-hand I was stunned at how comfortable it feels, and to see it in person as opposed to just a picture is like the difference between day and night. I really like all 3 knives, but the Koncept is in a league of it's own. And thanks again to you for making it all possible! 8)
8)

knife7knut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by knife7knut » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:13 am

Madmarco wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:59 pm
Next up is an Al Mar "Quicksilver" Secret Service stiletto that's 7 7/8" oal/SS modified spear-point blade with stud and upper swedge, single brass liner, SS 2-piece body with through cuts, and lanyard hole. All the SS gives this knife a respectable weight of about 5 oz.'s, and it arrived very sharp. Shows Al Mar logo and copy number "15/200" etches on the blade. Built in Seki, Japan. Although it can't be seen in my pic, there is a small lever at the butt-end that folds open/closed over the tip of the blade, and this is the only copy I've seen without a bail. I've wanted one of these ever since I first saw them close to 2 years ago, but their high price kept me at bay, and now I own one which came at a very reasonable price due to it being used!
I have one of these knives and my only issue with it is the lock tab to retain the blade when it is closed.Mine has for some reason loosened a bit and has a tendency to let the blade open when it is in my pocket. For that reason I stopped carrying it.More of a design flaw than anything else.
Attachments
AlMarSilverEagleMarkSide.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:17 am

Quick Steel wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:36 pm
Marco, Congratulations on your sleek pick-ups. I was looking at some Al Mar knives this morning. I haven't reached a discussion on any to add to my collection. Al Mar are superb knives, maybe the best manufactured knives of their time. I am not optimistic about the companies move to China. I have the QuickSilver model. Mine has the bail or latch which covers the blade tip. However, it lacks any numbering of the blade.
Thank you so much Garry, I always appreciate our comments, and, I usually learn something after reading them. I am in complete agreement with you regarding the quality of Al Mar knives, it's just a shame that most are out of my buying league. The move to China certainly is troubling, I guess only time will tell. I got really lucky finding that one for the price I paid, they sell for upwards of US$350. brand new, and I would never have been able to afford that. I'm wondering if my blade is numbered due to the different latch system, perhaps the 200 were the only one's built in that style. Since you own a copy you know just how nice this knife is! I included another pic showing the latch system more clearly! 8)
WIN_20210325_19_16_08_Pro.jpg
8)

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 am

knife7knut wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:13 am
Madmarco wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:59 pm
Next up is an Al Mar "Quicksilver" Secret Service stiletto that's 7 7/8" oal/SS modified spear-point blade with stud and upper swedge, single brass liner, SS 2-piece body with through cuts, and lanyard hole. All the SS gives this knife a respectable weight of about 5 oz.'s, and it arrived very sharp. Shows Al Mar logo and copy number "15/200" etches on the blade. Built in Seki, Japan. Although it can't be seen in my pic, there is a small lever at the butt-end that folds open/closed over the tip of the blade, and this is the only copy I've seen without a bail. I've wanted one of these ever since I first saw them close to 2 years ago, but their high price kept me at bay, and now I own one which came at a very reasonable price due to it being used!
I have one of these knives and my only issue with it is the lock tab to retain the blade when it is closed.Mine has for some reason loosened a bit and has a tendency to let the blade open when it is in my pocket. For that reason I stopped carrying it.More of a design flaw than anything else.
Yes, yours is identical to the model I have K7K! After reading your comments I checked the latch on my knife, and it's also very loose, so much so that simple gravity causes it to close. Unfortunately, I got mine used so I don't know if it was ever tighter, but since both our knives have the exact same defect I would tend to agree with you regarding this being a design flaw. They sure are cool knives though! 8) P.S.-Does your knife have the numbering on the back blade, ???/200?
8)

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:57 am

HA! Marco, its a good thing you like my comments because on your AL Mar I discovered I made essentially the same comment three times on two threads. I thought my first post did not print, that I had left the page too quickly after submitting it. Then I went and made some popcorn........ ::dang:: Well its a long complicated story. ::teary_eyes:: So just enjoy my many words. As Charles De Gaul once said, "Old Age is a ship wreck."
Ain't it the truth? :)

knife7knut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by knife7knut » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:14 am

Madmarco wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 am
Yes, yours is identical to the model I have K7K! After reading your comments I checked the latch on my knife, and it's also very loose, so much so that simple gravity causes it to close. Unfortunately, I got mine used so I don't know if it was ever tighter, but since both our knives have the exact same defect I would tend to agree with you regarding this being a design flaw. They sure are cool knives though! 8) P.S.-Does your knife have the numbering on the back blade, ???/200?
When I got mine(about 30 years ago)it was called a,"Silver Eagle" and there was no numbering on it.It has also been loose since I got it and it was near new then.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:23 am

Quick Steel wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:57 am
HA! Marco, its a good thing you like my comments because on your AL Mar I discovered I made essentially the same comment three times on two threads. I thought my first post did not print, that I had left the page too quickly after submitting it. Then I went and made some popcorn........ ::dang:: Well its a long complicated story. ::teary_eyes:: So just enjoy my many words. As Charles De Gaul once said, "Old Age is a ship wreck."
Ain't it the truth? :)
LOL! Not a problem Garry, ::handshake:: I could read your comments over and over all day long! ::nod:: Don't ya just hate those "senior moments"? ::facepalm:: Enjoy your popcorn! 8)
8)

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:26 am

knife7knut wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:14 am
Madmarco wrote:
When I got mine(about 30 years ago)it was called a,"Silver Eagle" and there was no numbering on it.It has also been loose since I got it and it was near new then.
Thanks for the additional info K7K! ::handshake:: From what you're telling me I think it's safe to assume that the loose latch is definitely a design error. As for the numbering...? ::hmm:: 8)
8)

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:19 pm

Marco, I was informed by a seller that the single liner of the Al Mar is copper rather than brass. Can't judge it myself.

kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:52 pm

knife7knut wrote:
Madmarco wrote:
This is from a AL-Mar Catalog Called QuickSilver hope this helps ::handshake::
Gary
Attachments
IMG_6206.JPG

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:43 pm

Quick Steel wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:19 pm
Marco, I was informed by a seller that the single liner of the Al Mar is copper rather than brass. Can't judge it myself.
Garry! I think you're absolutely correct about that. When I first saw it, I thought to myself, "wow, is that brass ever tarnished", but seeing as it's copper it looks correct. Thanks for the correction, ::handshake:: I was in time to change my post to the proper info. 8)
8)

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:45 pm

kennedy knives wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:52 pm
knife7knut wrote:
Madmarco wrote:
This is from a AL-Mar Catalog Called QuickSilver hope this helps ::handshake::
Gary
Thank you Gary ::handshake:: for taking the time to post that information, it's most helpful. 8)
8)

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:32 pm

I received 3 more beauties from my buddy Mark at SSk, and they're nice ones! The 1st is a Mcusta linerlock from the M-3 Series, and it's 7 1/2" oal/VG-10 drop-point blade with dual-studs, single SS liner, screw construction, adjustable pivot, blue n' gold 2-piece aluminum body, and pocket-clip. Comfortable weight of 3.4 oz.'s, and shaving-sharp. Displays Mcusta markings. Fit n' finish is perfect, and with the oiled-washer system found in all Mcustas the walk n' talk is silky-smooth. Built in Seki, Japan. Next is an A.G. Russell 7" oal all SS lockback 1-Hand folder/SS drop-point blade with thumb-hole, no liners, 2-piece SS body, lanyard hole, and stud style lockback release. Fairly light at only 2.7 oz.'s, and dangerously sharp. Shows AGR markings. Also displaying excellent F n' F, and after a couple of drops of Q.R. oil the W n' T is smooth n' crisp. Also built in Seki, Japan. And last is another A.G.R. build, and it's a 9 1/4" oal Texas Ranger Toothpick slip-joint/8Cr13MoV steel blade with n/n, NS bolsters liners and pins, and black linen micarta covers with Texas Ranger shield inlay. This one's a bit heavier at about 4.5 oz.'s, and equally sharp as the previous 2. Has a banner on the front blade with "188 yrs. of service" etched inside denoting the years the T. R.'s have been in action, and AGR markings. The F n' F are 2nd to none, and the W n' T is smooth n' loud after the application of Q.R. oil. This one was built in China. There is a perfectly placed finger-guard in the form of a bolster "ear" on the top bolster, and it's only on the channel side. This is not really my style of knife, but when I saw how big it was with that big fat blade, I decided there was a place for it in my collection, and it was the right decision! 8)
WIN_20210407_12_24_59_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210407_12_24_29_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210407_12_25_26_Pro.jpg
8)

Return to “European And Other Foreign Manufactured Knives”