Henry Kaufmann and Sons (Solingen) Folding Knife Identification

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
JKW0123

Henry Kaufmann and Sons (Solingen) Folding Knife Identification

Post by JKW0123 »

Good morning all (from the UK) ,

I have come across a Henry Kaufmann and Sons (Solingen, Germany) folding knife in a garage clear out for my grandparents.

I am struggling to put a date to the knife as there is no stamp/engraving obvious to me and the history of company itself seems to be limited to the odd few sections of other forums on here.

I have guesstimated the knife being manufactured pre WW2 due to the very limited family history known.

Any help with dating the knife itself would be of a great help, and any general history for Henry Kaufmann and Sons would be much appreciated.

Please see pictures attached.
DSC_0179.JPG
DSC_0180.JPG
DSC_0181.JPG
DSC_0182.JPG
DSC_0183.JPG
DSC_0184.JPG
DSC_0185.JPG
DSC_0186.JPG
CHEERS,

JKW0123
knife7knut

Re: Henry Kaufmann and Sons (Solingen) Folding Knife Identification

Post by knife7knut »

According to my Goins book they started in 1856 and were still in business when it was printed in the mid 1980's. Dating it might prove to be a bit problematic. Seems like many pruning knives used integral bolsters/liners well into the twentieth century;much longer than regular knives.Yours appears to have separate bolsters/liners which may or may not make it of later manufacture.It is also stamped in English which would likely make it for export.The style of letters(fonts to younger persons)is reminiscent of the turn of the twentieth century.
If I had to guess I would date it around 1900 to possibly before WWI.Handles look to be jigged bone rather than the more common stag which might make it post WWI.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
JKW0123

Re: Henry Kaufmann and Sons (Solingen) Folding Knife Identification

Post by JKW0123 »

Thank you very much for that info. Clearly it presents a few different characteristics which can confuse the time line.
I'll aim for 1900/WW1 and see what else I can dig up.

Much appreciated, CHEERS

Return to “European-made knives”