A Biselcorte Navaja from Argentina

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Nephilim

A Biselcorte Navaja from Argentina

Post by Nephilim »

Biselcorte was company in Buenos Aires that made folding and fixed blade knives from 1950 until the early 1980s. Boker acquired their factory in 1983 and it became their subsidiary, Boker Arbolito.
Biselcorte made quite few different patterns, but of interest to me is their Spanish-style palanquilla locking navaja. They were made in a few different materials and sizes and I think mine is among the smaller models.
The Biselcorte Navaja above and a sodbuster pattern by Boker Arbolito below. The biselcorte has a stainless blade and black plastic scales with gold colored flecks embedded in them.
The Biselcorte Navaja above and a sodbuster pattern by Boker Arbolito below. The biselcorte has a stainless blade and black plastic scales with gold colored flecks embedded in them.
The Navaja is a bit beat up, but the action is still smooth (once I oiled it) and the lockup is secure. It is easy to pinch the blade and the initial opening provides some stiff resistance, followed by satisfying sound of the ratcheting action. In my opinion, this is a well made knife and I hope I can find one of the larger models in better condition. I did notice one interesting deviation from the typical Spanish design:
In the Biselcorte knife, the pivot of the palanquillla is recessed into the bolster. Compare to a Spanish Navaja on the right.
In the Biselcorte knife, the pivot of the palanquillla is recessed into the bolster. Compare to a Spanish Navaja on the right.
Because the bolster is shaped to fit the palanquilla, the lever starts engaging the spring as soon as you start lifting it. There is a lot less play in the lever than a conventional navaja and I find it easier to unlock. When I say "easier", I don't mean that it takes less force, that depends on the strength of the spring and length of the lever, but it is more positive. With a conventional navaja, (in my limited experience) you have to lift the palanquilla to nearly perpendicular with the handle before it engages and lifts the spring. It is often a relativity thin piece of sheet steel and I'm a bit worried about bending it or over-rotating it. I think the Biselcorte design is a modest improvement in that respect.

Return to “European-made knives”