E. Bonsmann folder

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Andrewcatoggio

E. Bonsmann folder

Post by Andrewcatoggio »

Found this knife above the duct work in the house I was living in when I was probably 8 years old. Any history on it would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
9D83249D-6F14-4167-91AE-FCB62CC0EE87.jpeg
B5107DE1-D10E-4F21-A352-4ABCF53A3BA6.jpeg
63F0F971-8775-4C7C-A371-77B7790DCAE4.jpeg
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: E. Bonsmann folder

Post by Old Folder »

Welcome to aapk Andrew. ::handshake::

You have what is called: an "Equal-end multi blade (tool) Utility Knife"
One large and one small Pen Blade, Cork screw, Leather punch, Cap lifter, Screwdriver and a Can opener.
The gentleman that left it above the duct work was most likely wondering where his knife went for a long time. It appears that he never had the opportunity to used it. (Which is a good thing for you.)
Your knife was made in Solingen Germany by E. Bonsmann 1861-c1920. I would assume your knife was manufactured in the later years closer to the 1920 date.

The word "Rostfrei" is not a branded word for a German knife, but it is the German descriptive word for a knife made from stainless steel. The word, when translated, means "rust-free." This type of knife, when stamped with the word "rostfrei," usually originates from a German-speaking country, such as Switzerland, or from Germany. Most of the knives originate from the German town of Solingen, and some vintage knives date to 1912.

The word "SINOX" is new to me and is not to be confused with "INOX." Perhaps another member will chime in with a "SINOX" description. ::shrug::
The encircled letters "B & V" on the master blade could be the business initials that the knife was made for, such as a employee or customer gift.

Great find Andrew, good memories, it's a keeper. Seldom is a knife this old found unused.

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Sinox seems to be connected to Bonsmann ::hmm::
20201223_092842.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Great find ! It is an old knife and looks to be in perfect 'as new' condition. I think "Sinox" is Bonsmann's word for Stainless. "Sin" = without, "ox" = oxidation.
Stainless steel for knife blades came into use in 1920's but did not begin to catch on until well into 1930's. This is more likely from 1930's or '40's. E. Bonsmann company still exists but are now a wholesaler not a manufacturer. It is unclear when Bonsmann stop manufacturing knives but it was after WW II, possibly by a few decades.
kj
ps: even though stainless it is best to wipe off fingerprints as with time they can leave a darkened area on the blade. "Stainless" means less likely to oxidize, not 'never' oxidize.
Andrewcatoggio

Post by Andrewcatoggio »

Thank you all very much for the information. I’ve had this knife for probably 22 years and it’s always been special due to the way I stumbled across it in my young curious years. The fingerprints are certainly wiped off lol I noticed them after I took the pictures.

Merry Christmas
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I collect knives like this E. Bonsmann, vintage German, metal handle, Gent's multiblades. Some were made by top Solingen manufacturers like C. Bertram, Henckles, etc. They are very well made knives, however their monetary value is low. Almost nobody collects these knives and there are quite a few 'out there'.
kj
Andrewcatoggio

Post by Andrewcatoggio »

Thanks koot. I have no plans of getting rid of it.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I posted the info about well made and low prices (on ebay) to perhaps interest others in beginning to collect the vintage German Gent's type folding knives. They are an under appreciated 'group' that deserve more attention and don't require 'deep pockets'.
kj

Return to “European-made knives”