Nice old Pradel from France.

This place is specifically allocated for discussing and showing off those knives from areas of the world other than the United States.
Nephilim

Nice old Pradel from France.

Post by Nephilim » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:23 am

Been expanding by French pocketknife collection lately, and I managed to snag a real gem. Pradel was a popular knife maker operating from the mid 19th to the mid 20th cen. in France, but the most detailed information I could find on the brand is from an old post on this forum(viewtopic.php?t=21642&start=240). This is one in the classic style, a single bladed jackknife with a bolster and flat scales.
This one doesn't have the classic anchor logo, but I assume it is the same "Pradel" company. The tang stamp is marked "B.B.B".
This one doesn't have the classic anchor logo, but I assume it is the same "Pradel" company. The tang stamp is marked "B.B.B".
I really love the simple engraving (stamping?) on the brass bolster.
I really love the simple engraving (stamping?) on the brass bolster.
This example is in really good condition; no rust, a bit of patina, strong spring and a good halfstop. Thankfully, the black plastic scales haven't shrunk or cracked at all. The seller speculated they might be some form of Bakelite, but I don't know enough about old plastics to judge. Fit and finish is great for a knife this age, originally intended as an affordable tool. The edge is nice and thin and it wouldn't take much effort to sharpen it up into a good slicer. Also, its easy enough to open with a good pinch, so you don't have to fight the spring with just your thumbnail. Anybody have a good idea when this might date to? All I know that might narrow it down is that the company went out of business in the 60s. Hopefully the B.B.B tang stamp is a good clue.

tallguy606

Re: Nice old Pradel from France.

Post by tallguy606 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:39 pm

The shape and size reminds me of a Mercator, the German K55 knife with a cat logo, made from folded sheet metal. Much nicer, though.

Eustace

Post by Eustace » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:57 pm

I have a similar one.
Attachments
IMG_20210127_193707.jpg
IMG_20210127_193736.jpg

Nephilim

Post by Nephilim » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:26 am

Eustace wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:57 pm
I have a similar one.
Indeed, nice example. Are those scales horn or acrylic?

Eustace

Post by Eustace » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:37 pm

Nephilim wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:26 am
Eustace wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:57 pm
I have a similar one.
Indeed, nice example. Are those scales horn or acrylic?
Bull horn.

Return to “European And Other Foreign Manufactured Knives”