EKA Sandvik advertising knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Nephilim

EKA Sandvik advertising knife

Post by Nephilim »

I don't usually add advertising knives to my collection, but this one is quite handsome and I snagged it at a good price. I already had one old EKA gentleman's knife, but this one compliments it nicely. I appreciate the fact that this knife advertises the firm that makes the steel used in EKA knives (and many others besides).
On top is the new acquisition, a 3 piece gentleman's knife with blade, nail file and bottle opener. Below is a 2 piece gentleman's with blade and bottle opener. The tang stamp of the above knife reads "EKA Sweden", while the below is marked "EKA Eskilstuna".
On top is the new acquisition, a 3 piece gentleman's knife with blade, nail file and bottle opener. Below is a 2 piece gentleman's with blade and bottle opener. The tang stamp of the above knife reads "EKA Sweden", while the below is marked "EKA Eskilstuna".
The top knife has a picture of the Sandvik headquarters and reads "Main Office Sandviken". Sandvik actually relocated their offices to Stockholm in 2012.
The bottom knife has a Swedish royal triple crown crest.
On the opposite side of the knives, both are decorated with a classic knotted Nordic serpent motif. The 3 piece knife (above) is marked with the Sandvik  logo. The bottom knife has an additional tang stamp that reads "Sweden Stainless".
On the opposite side of the knives, both are decorated with a classic knotted Nordic serpent motif. The 3 piece knife (above) is marked with the Sandvik logo. The bottom knife has an additional tang stamp that reads "Sweden Stainless".
I love the little enamel paintings on these gentleman's knives, but they often aren't in such fine condition. I assume the handle scales are brass and just painted over.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: EKA Sandvik advertising knife

Post by edge213 »

Nephilim wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm I don't usually add advertising knives to my collection, but this one is quite handsome and I snagged it at a good price. I already had one old EKA gentleman's knife, but this one compliments it nicely. I appreciate the fact that this knife advertises the firm that makes the steel used in EKA knives (and many others besides).

20210216_140408 (2).jpg
The top knife has a picture of the Sandvik headquarters and reads "Main Office Sandviken". Sandvik actually relocated their offices to Stockholm in 2012.

20210216_140515 (2).jpg

I love the little enamel paintings on these gentleman's knives, but they often aren't in such fine condition. I assume the handle scales are brass and just painted over.

Attractive knives.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Louisville.Boy1947

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 »

Nephilim wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:14 pm I don't usually add advertising knives to my collection, but this one is quite handsome and I snagged it at a good price. I already had one old EKA gentleman's knife, but this one compliments it nicely. I appreciate the fact that this knife advertises the firm that makes the steel used in EKA knives (and many others besides).

20210216_140408 (2).jpg

20210216_140515 (2).jpg

Great knife to add to anyone's collection. Enjoy it !!! :D
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

20210216_140408 (2).jpg

20210216_140515 (2).jpg

Most wonderful examples you have sir!
I collect them, and yer right, many examples have issues... I'm thinking, it's either something in the paint, or they were stored with out-gassing celluloid.
That's what Kootney Joe figures, on the ones I snagged from him.

Here's one example done for Astra (Spain), before I gave her a light cleaning last night. Astra was know for their licensed Mauser's, back in the day. They were the main company in Spain/Portugal, that had the licenses.
Attachments
DSCN4621.JPG
DSCN4623.JPG
DSCN4624.JPG
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Mint example this time, done up for "Elof Hansson".
EH is huge in the finished lumber products, $1.B revenue in 2019. If fun to see companies like this, still sticking to there roots. Give it to the Swede's, they definitely keep things real.
:D
Attachments
DSCN4625.JPG
DSCN4626.JPG
DSCN4627.JPG
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very nice knives you guys are posting! ::tu:: Enjoy! 8)
8)
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I think that the reason the surfaces deteriorate over time is due to the inability of the enamel to "bite" into the metal.Many of these seem to have had a gold wash applied which is extremely thin and easily worn away. It does seem to linger in the etched areas likely due to the roughness of the surface there and that it is below the surface however slightly.
Here are a couple that I have acquired over the years.On some of them I have pictured both sides as they are different.
Attachments
CigarDrawer1 2019 009.jpg
CigarDrawer1 2019 010.jpg
CigarDrawer1 2019 011.jpg
CigarDrawer1 2019 012.jpg
EKAEskilstunaLargeKnifeSide1.JPG
EKAEskilstunaLargeKnifeSide2.JPG
EKAEskilstunaSmallKnifeSide1.JPG
EKAEskilstunaSmallKnifeSide2.JPG
EKAEskilstunaSmallFoldingKnife1.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Kool knives ALL !!! ::tu:: 8) ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

I'll add my one and only Eskilstuna Knivfabriks Aktiebolag , "Kungsholm Cruise Swedish American Line" souvenir. The bluing on the pile side is worn off some but the blades are untouched. Tang stamped EKA, Sweden. 3 pen blades and a manicure. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2408.jpg
IMG_2409.JPG
IMG_2410.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:57 pm I'll add my one and only Eskilstuna Knivfabriks Aktiebolag , "Kungsholm Cruise Swedish American Line" souvenir. The bluing on the pile side is worn off some but the blades are untouched. Tang stamped EKA, Sweden. 3 pen blades and a manicure. J.O'.
Yes sir John, I too have the exact same knife. Mines in factory perfect condition, with the original vinyl slip.
Really sweet knives, I will definitely be adding more to my collection.
::tu::
Attachments
DSCN4617.JPG
DSCN4618.JPG
DSCN4619.JPG
DSCN4620.JPG
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

knife7knut wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:52 am I think that the reason the surfaces deteriorate over time is due to the inability of the enamel to "bite" into the metal.Many of these seem to have had a gold wash applied which is extremely thin and easily worn away. It does seem to linger in the etched areas likely due to the roughness of the surface there and that it is below the surface however slightly.
Here are a couple that I have acquired over the years.On some of them I have pictured both sides as they are different.
Excellent examples Ken.
And yes, I've been pondering that too. Could be something in the paint, that chemically reacts with with moisture.
::hmm::

See what I mean with this twin man Henckels, gassed on the blades, where the frame doesn't protect them. And bronze reaction on one side only.
::hmm::

Still is an awesome knife!
Perfect for the change pocket on the jeans, doesn't get in the way of playing acoustic guitar.
::super_happy::
Attachments
DSCN4629.JPG
DSCN4630.JPG
DSCN4632.JPG
Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Here's 4 more fine examples, for all your viewing pleasure. That wraps up these un's, small collection started... :D
Attachments
DSCN4635.JPG
DSCN4636.JPG
DSCN4637.JPG
DSCN4638.JPG
DSCN4639.JPG
DSCN4640.JPG
DSCN4642.JPG
DSCN4643.JPG
DSCN4644.JPG
DSCN4645.JPG
Winston Churchill

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Willie C: Who'd a'thunk it ?! Amazing! J.O'.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Thank you mate.
:D
::handshake::
Winston Churchill

Return to “European-made knives”