A Hackman butterfly knife, in black.

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Nephilim

A Hackman butterfly knife, in black.

Post by Nephilim »

I already had the more common red handled version in my collection, but I was fortunate to find the scarce black handled version and decided to pick that one up too.
The style of the logo is identical, reading "Hackman Finland" and with "Stainless Sorsakoski" in the roundel. The blade on the black example has a more pronounced clip point than the puukko styled blade of the red version.
The style of the logo is identical, reading "Hackman Finland" and with "Stainless Sorsakoski" in the roundel. The blade on the black example has a more pronounced clip point than the puukko styled blade of the red version.
I believe these both date form the late 1960s, as the 1970s versions changed the logo to just read "Hackman Finland" with no text in the roundel. Regardless of the accuracy of the old story of these being issued to CIA agents in Southeast Asia, I think both of these knives were just normal commercially purchased examples, considering their condition.
TazmanTom18

Re: A Hackman butterfly knife, in black.

Post by TazmanTom18 »

I have mentioned this in another thread. Look at the difference in the two grinds, tip grind ending at tip on black knife and the grind continuing behind the tip on the red one. Anyone know why ? Age ? My red one has the same grind as your black one. I was told the grind ending at tip is older ? Opinions ????? Tom
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Are these knives what are commonly referred to as "jeans knives"? ::shrug:: The knives I'm thinking of MUST be opened with 2 hands, since they are far too tight to "flip". Thank you in advance! 8)
8)
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:42 pm Are these knives what are commonly referred to as "jeans knives"? ::shrug:: The knives I'm thinking of MUST be opened with 2 hands, since they are far too tight to "flip". Thank you in advance! 8)
No, these are more simple in construction than the Italian "Jeans Knife" and can be opened with one hand. In the fully open or closed position the fit between the nylon handle and the steel is tight enough that it can't be flipped freely, but you can push it free with a finger and than flip it like a normal butterfly knife.
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

TazmanTom18 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:44 pm I have mentioned this in another thread. Look at the difference in the two grinds, tip grind ending at tip on black knife and the grind continuing behind the tip on the red one. Anyone know why ? Age ? My red one has the same grind as your black one. I was told the grind ending at tip is older ? Opinions ????? Tom
Oh, could you post a link to that thread? I'm always looking for more information on these odd ducks. As to why some have a clip point and other were more straight backed, I assume the clip point were designed to appeal to the American market, resembling a hunting knife profile. That is just my speculation.
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

It was posts on Talkblade under "balisong knives.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nephilim wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:00 pm
Madmarco wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:42 pm Are these knives what are commonly referred to as "jeans knives"? ::shrug:: The knives I'm thinking of MUST be opened with 2 hands, since they are far too tight to "flip". Thank you in advance! 8)
No, these are more simple in construction than the Italian "Jeans Knife" and can be opened with one hand. In the fully open or closed position the fit between the nylon handle and the steel is tight enough that it can't be flipped freely, but you can push it free with a finger and than flip it like a normal butterfly knife.
Thanks very much for that explanation N., ::handshake:: I appreciate it! 8)
8)

Return to “European-made knives”