Okapi?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
cody6268

Okapi?

Post by cody6268 »

Are they still making these things? I used to see Okapi knives on several different online retailers here in the US for under $20 (and I bought a Big Sable for $10 about 3-4 years ago; but wasn't really impressed), and now they've all dried up. Every single one on OFAS is an older knife, and/or from a foreign seller.

But, the website still exists.

http://www.okapi.co.za/pocket-knives/
Nephilim

Re: Okapi?

Post by Nephilim »

To the best of my knowledge, ring locking Okapi knives are still in production. The stock of them in US retailers seems to have dried up in 2019/2020 or so for reasons unknown to me. Problem with the US distributor, maybe? Anyway many of their other, smaller, slipjoint models can still be found. Post Oak Knife co., for example, has a bunch of Okapi knives but the classic ring locking ones have been out of stock a long time.

Also, be aware that some of the new ring locking okapis being sold on ebay by foreign sellers are knockoffs. I wrote a little thread about this a while back: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=66861&p=818025#p818025

I ended but getting a new ring locking one from a South African knife shop. Arranging the shipping was a bit of a long, painful process, partly because they were processing my order during initial corona lockdown.
CamMan21

Re: Okapi?

Post by CamMan21 »

I had one as a teenager and recently decided to buy a new one.

I found the same as you....there aren't many out there.

I ended up buying a CS Kudu to scratch my itch, and as far as I can tell it's of much better quality than the Okapi I had 30 years ago (and much cheaper). Of course, it's Asian and not European ::dang::

Return to “European-made knives”