1800s German knives from Wurttemberg

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
DANewtonCarter

1800s German knives from Wurttemberg

Post by DANewtonCarter »

I'm writing a book about German immigrant families who worked in cutlery manufacturing in Western Massachusetts in the mid-1800s-early 1900s. Specifically, a family that came from Wurttemberg had several generations of cutlers, including blacksmiths, grinders, and buffers.

I have not been able to find any information about cutleries in Wurttemberg, Germany. They all focus on Solingen, North Rhine-Westphalia. Can you recommend any sources?
rea1eye

Re: 1800s German knives from Wurttemberg

Post by rea1eye »

Perhaps Tom (TPK) will come along shortly and help you out.

Bob
ea42

Post by ea42 »

This might help, Tina has been producing horticultural knives there since the mid-1850's:

"Tina
Budding and grafting is a delicate and precise process — so when it comes time to get to work, ensure you're utilizing the best tools in the industry. Since 1854, Tina has been the leading name in budding and grafting knives. They are known throughout the world for their superior excellence and unparalleled competition. Every blade is hand forged and is individually crafted by skilled and experienced craftsman.

The TINA Messerfabrik is located in the heart of Württemberg, Germany, between Stuttgart and the Swabian Alb, in a region well-known for its high-quality and high-precision products from the automotive industry and mechanical engineering. Founded in 1854 by Johann Friedrich Schwille, the company was registered under his successor, Gottlieb Friedrich Schwille in 1885. Since 1890, they have been exported, first to Switzerland and to the Balkans. Around 1910, Central America became an important export market. Today, the Tina brand is found in 32 countries around the world.

This quality-conscious and high-precision thinking and action has influenced the production of their TINA garden knives over 150 years, and so their customers worldwide say: "Simply the best Horticultural Knives in the world!""

Also:

Bühler & Schnell - "Piccolo" (I believe they were a razor maker)

Karl Künzel - Künzel Rasierapparate

Friedr. Dick

Good luck on your book!

Eric
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

DANewtonCarter wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:23 am I'm writing a book about German immigrant families who worked in cutlery manufacturing in Western Massachusetts in the mid-1800s-early 1900s. Specifically, a family that came from Wurttemberg had several generations of cutlers, including blacksmiths, grinders, and buffers.

I have not been able to find any information about cutleries in Wurttemberg, Germany. They all focus on Solingen, North Rhine-Westphalia. Can you recommend any sources?
::welcome:: to AAPK, Dan! ::handshake::
Good luck with your book! 8)
8)
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

In the great book GERMAN KNIFE AND SWORD MAKERS are at least two knife makers noted from SW Germany ( Würtemberg ) ( near Stuttgart and Bad Canstatt ) there is of course the well known maker of Kitchen knives, Friedrich Dick in Esslingen/N which is in Würtemberg, now Baden Würtemberg!
Würtemberg was and still is known for metal fabrication industries and superior engineering!!
Think Porsche and Mercedes!! I am born and raised in the heart of Baden Würtemberg, if I can be of any help, let me know!!
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I don't think he is very interested in responses. He hasn't logged in since original post.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
DANewtonCarter

Post by DANewtonCarter »

Hello everyone!

I am sorry I have not posted back since my original inquiry. I've been quite busy with my manuscript workshop--a lot of reading goes along with the writing.

I've been reading a book that a person at one of the Facebook German Genealogy groups recommended called, Our Daily Bread, by Teva J. Scheer. The author is talking about the guilds, and how cutlery was a specialization that not many villages would have. Once a person earned their apprenticeship they would have to become a journeyman and usually had to go to a city with a manufacturer. The guild for cutlers was called Messerschmieden.

So when I checked back here today, I was thrilled to hear from you all! Thank you! I will now research these manufacturers and try to distinguish where Johann Martin Haug may have worked. Before he worked at Northampton Cutlery in Northampton, Hampshire County, Massachusetts, he worked in Greenfield, Franklin County, Massachusetts at John Russell Cutlery Company and Green River Knives. I purchased a copy of their history called, The History of the John Russell Cutlery Company 1833-1936, by Robert L. Merriam, Richard A. Davis Jr., David S. Brown, and Michael E. Buerger, published by Bete Press, Greenfield, Massachusetts, 1976. It really is a nice book with photos of various workrooms, staff, and the building on the Green River, and speaks to the four different guilds that make up workers for a cutlery manufacturer: Striker and Smith, Tempering, Grinding, and Hafter. Martin Haug was a blacksmith and forger. The book also has an illustrated catalog of all the cutlery they made from pocket knives to fine silver service with pearl or ivory handles. The owner of this cutlery came from Sheffield, England, and brought the process to the area here in Massachusetts.

So thank you again! I will look into all your valued input! And if anything else comes to mind, you can add it here, or email me.

Best wishes all,
Debra

Return to “European-made knives”