For Sale: GEC Stag #56 Dog Leg Jack Knife

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
kootenay joe

For Sale: GEC Stag #56 Dog Leg Jack Knife

Post by kootenay joe »

GEC #561210, Stag handles, never used or carried, new in tube. 3 1/2" closed length.
Most of the #56 Dog Leg Jacks have a spear point master blade. This one has a nice deep clip blade. Perfect spring tension, smooth action, no play.
Beautiful Classic Traditional folding knife.
Price: $425, OBO, includes shipping
If interested please send me a PM or email: rprocter@telus.net
kj
Attachments
IMGP1273.JPG
IMGP1274.JPG
IMGP1276.JPG
IMGP1275.JPG
kootenay joe

Re: For Sale: GEC Stag #56 Dog Leg Jack Knife

Post by kootenay joe »

Or best offer.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Interesting that there seems to be no interest in this knife. Usually knife collectors really like the Dog Leg pattern especially those with stag handles and a clip master blade.
I cannot find any Stag #56 on ebay for price comparison but i do see many GEC's that i think are less attractive selling for prices well above my asking price.
Send me an offer if you like this knife.
kj
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

It's an outstanding knife in stag. I'm surprised it hasn't gone, as it is one of the more desirable patterns. I think at $425, that is slightly high, even for such excellent stag. I think it would go somewhere in the 3-range, but who knows???
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I’m also surprised that you haven’t at least gotten an offer. Anybody can find this thread in an internet search. Perhaps it’s a sign of the possible dwindling interest in GEC. ::shrug::
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

We can all come up with "reasons why", perhaps $425 is to high for this knife. ::shrug::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

edge213 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:28 am We can all come up with "reasons why", perhaps $425 is to high for this knife. ::shrug::
Yes, maybe the price is the reason. But if someone really wanted it they could of sent me an offer as i posted "or best offer".
Pricing GEC knives is a bit of a challenge as some on ebay have sold in the over $600 range. If priced too low if will be bought by someone who knows he can flip it on ebay for a profit.
And i actually really like this knife so i'm not trying that hard to sell it. My adult children want me to get rid of my knives before i 'exit' so i'm making a half hearted attempt.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:03 am
edge213 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:28 am We can all come up with "reasons why", perhaps $425 is to high for this knife. ::shrug::
Yes, maybe the price is the reason. But if someone really wanted it they could of sent me an offer as i posted "or best offer".
Pricing GEC knives is a bit of a challenge as some on ebay have sold in the over $600 range. If priced too low if will be bought by someone who knows he can flip it on ebay for a profit.
And i actually really like this knife so i'm not trying that hard to sell it. My adult children want me to get rid of my knives before i 'exit' so i'm making a half hearted attempt.
kj
It surely is a beautiful knife.
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"It surely is a beautiful knife"
Yes it is and i cannot recall ever seeing a #56 from 2010 on ebay so those who have them are holding on to them.
What i have seen is that certain patterns get a lot of collector interest whereas other patterns, equally attractive don't generate much interest.
And patterns that are highly prized by collectors of vintage knives, like a Cattle knife, Dog Leg Jack or Moose are not so popular with GEC collectors.
Eventually someone will send me an offer for me to consider. I think it is a rather 'special' GEC so i wont sell for a low price.
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I knice one to enjoy for a while longer Roland. ::nod:: ::nod::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sold Pending Funds
I will be away from internet access for about 5-7 days and this sale will be completed when i get back.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Buyer was unable to complete the deal so this fine GEC knife is Still Available.
If interested please send me a PM or email: rprocter@telus.net
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This GEC Dogleg Jack is still available and i am open to offers.
Note i will not have access to my email until about Wednesday (July 14) but i can access PM's here.
kj
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Beautiful knife. Probably many others like me can't justify spending $425 on a knife that originally sold for around $100
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Umcknifeguy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:05 am Beautiful knife. Probably many others like me can't justify spending $425 on a knife that originally sold for around $100
Original price i think was more like $140 but with collectibles original price has little to do with value on secondary market which is strictly based on supply and demand. This is the only 2010 #56 i have seen for sale in the last few years so supply is very limited. However, at least on AAPK, demand is also very limited.
As for the price, i have posted in this thread "open to offers" numerous times.
Despite the lack of interest it is a great knife, a great pattern and with excellent Stag handles.
I myself do not sell on ebay but i think if listed there the selling price could possibly exceed $425.
One of the potential 'problems of listing on AAPK is if the seller accepts a low offer, the buyer is likely to list it on ebay and make a tidy profit by 'flipping' the knife.
A Stag #72 from 2010 just sold on ebay for $810, and a bone handled #15 from 2013 sold for $433. By comparison $425 seems like a reasonably good deal for this Stag #56.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Umcknifeguy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:05 am Beautiful knife. Probably many others like me can't justify spending $425 on a knife that originally sold for around $100
::tu:: ::tu::
David
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Joe,. Sad but true what you say about someone getting a deal on it and turn around and flip it. Seems not many knife collectors around anymore, mostly knife sellers.
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Umcknifeguy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:49 pm Joe,. Sad but true what you say about someone getting a deal on it and turn around and flip it. Seems not many knife collectors around anymore, mostly knife sellers.
Yes, so i will just wait until someone comes along who finds this knife really speaks to them and sends me a decent offer.
I really like this knife so i am happy to keep owning it until that day arrives.
kj
Campbellclanman

Post by Campbellclanman »

What a rotten thing to do to Rolands for sale thread.
Take your price griping - or trolling to a specific thread or start one up, everyone knows how GEC knives sell for what a buyer wants to pay.

Not one of the negative view people here would walk past a knife in a show knowing they could make a bit or a lot of money on a resale later on. That’s how we can help support our habit and everyone of you has made a good profit on a knife at some time.

Roland did not buy this knife last week with a knife that instantly sold out, and then try to sell it next week for double or triple - THAT is called flipping - Look at the Knife! this knife is a 2010 Knife!!!!!

Talking about what this knife was bought for 11 years ago is unrealistic and has no basis.

If you want to come back to me - please do not troll Rolands thread any more and pm me - I will be only too glad to answer you.

In the mean time I will pop by your House that you bought 10 years ago or your Z28 Camaro and pay you what you bought it for 10 years ago - even give you 10% to 15 % more possibly.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:37 pm
Umcknifeguy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:49 pm Joe,. Sad but true what you say about someone getting a deal on it and turn around and flip it. Seems not many knife collectors around anymore, mostly knife sellers.
Yes, so i will just wait until someone comes along who finds this knife really speaks to them and sends me a decent offer.
I really like this knife so i am happy to keep owning it until that day arrives.
kj
It is like playing cards, you just have to sit sometimes. Hold your ground, it is a beautiful piece of cutlery and someone will see it and want it, and you can negotiate a deal that is acceptable price to both parties. ::tu:: Have a good weekend. :)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Campbellclanman wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:08 pm What a rotten thing to do to Rolands for sale thread.
Take your price griping - or trolling to a specific thread or start one up, everyone knows how GEC knives sell for what a buyer wants to pay.

Not one of the negative view people here would walk past a knife in a show knowing they could make a bit or a lot of money on a resale later on. That’s how we can help support our habit and everyone of you has made a good profit on a knife at some time.

Roland did not buy this knife last week with a knife that instantly sold out, and then try to sell it next week for double or triple - THAT is called flipping - Look at the Knife! this knife is a 2010 Knife!!!!!

Talking about what this knife was bought for 11 years ago is unrealistic and has no basis.

If you want to come back to me - please do not troll Rolands thread any more and pm me - I will be only too glad to answer you.

In the mean time I will pop by your House that you bought 10 years ago or your Z28 Camaro and pay you what you bought it for 10 years ago - even give you 10% to 15 % more possibly.
Exactly mate!
I stand with Roland on this one.

The way the knife market has gone this past year, and GEC's in perticular; I can easily see it going for those kind of $$$.
Does it mean that I'm going to buy it for that kind of money; nope. But am I going to crank about it, something completely out of my control; nope.

Best of luck to you Kj, hopefully that right person comes along in a quick jiff. She's a sweet example, of an excellent pattern.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Your support is very kind and i really appreciate your kindness.
I do not mind people commenting on my relatively high asking price and i think it is o.k. to have the occasional 'chatty' thread in this "For Sale" forum.
If no one posted we would have nothing to read and that would be sad.
Feel free to send me an offer if this knife speaks to you.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sold Pending Funds.
I expect deal will be completed on Aug 11 as i will be away until then.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The problem with this knife was never the price. The price was in a range of credibility. The problem is that this forum is not where buyers go for premium knives. They go to the other BIG forum and to Ebay. I have posted knives here for sale that get no response; I could have posted them elsewhere and instantly sold them for an even higher price. Just the way it is- location, location, location, just like earthly real estate.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:21 pm The problem with this knife was never the price. The price was in a range of credibility. The problem is that this forum is not where buyers go for premium knives. They go to the other BIG forum and to Ebay. I have posted knives here for sale that get no response; I could have posted them elsewhere and instantly sold them for an even higher price. Just the way it is- location, location, location, just like earthly real estate.
My thought exactly. From what I've observed (and experienced) re selling GEC knives on the secondary market, there's absolutely no reason to believe that knife wouldn't fetch Roland's asking price (and very likely even more) if it were advertised in certain other locations. Personally, I think eBay is where he will find the demographic willing and able to pay top dollar (for any knife really, but especially the OP GEC knife in question).

Since Roland has stated that he doesn't sell on eBay, perhaps he could enlist the assistance of a proxy seller who would be willing to help him (which I think he could easily find among his many friends here on AAPK). It's something to consider, at any rate. ::hmm::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~

Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”