1979 Case Swing-Guard Lockback - 6111 1/2L - (Cheetah)

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

1979 Case Swing-Guard Lockback - 6111 1/2L - (Cheetah)

Post by deo-pa »

Case XX (over) U.S.A. (over) one dot = 1979. Pattern stamp = 6111 1/2L (6 = bone; 1 = 1 blade; 11 = pattern number; L = lockback). (I've never understood exactly what the "1/2" signifies. I think it signifies the presence of the swing-guard and was added to distinguish it from the 11 patterns made in the Tested era without a guard; am I correct? Nope, I'm wrong... see Jerry's explanation below.)

The handles are appaloosa bone and although it is hard to tell from the first two photos both sides have a good amount of the characteristic white appaloosa mottling, particularly near the bolsters. The knife is in excellent condition with no scratches, dings, or pin cracks. It doesn't look to have been used, carried, or sharpened though I can't say for certain.

See discussion in comments below. While the bone is appaloosa style it is not an "official" Appaloosa knife because it does not have an "A" in the pattern number. Thanks to all who clarified this issue for me.

Brass liners. Length = 4-3/8". Excellent open and close snap, zero blade wobble, and pivoting guard action is smooth.

Price is $110 shipped. Price reduced to $100 shipped. Thanks,

Dennis
Attachments
Cheetah-1.jpg
Cheetah-2.jpg
Cheetah-3.jpg
Cheetah-4.jpg
zp4ja

Re: 1979 Case Swing-Guard Lockback - 6111 1/2L - (Cheetah)

Post by zp4ja »

deo-pa wrote:Case XX (over) U.S.A. (over) one dot = 1979. Pattern stamp = 6111 1/2L (6 = bone; 1 = 1 blade; 11 = pattern number; L = lockback). (I've never understood exactly what the "1/2" signifies. I think it signifies the presence of the swing-guard and was added to distinguish it from the 11 patterns made in the Tested era without a guard; am I correct?)

Dennis
Hey Dennis,

As to your question in this post...

There is no alpha numeric character designation for the swing guard in the pattern number for this pattern.

The 1/2 designation signifies a clip master blade. Same as most other CASE knives where the clip is master and pattern was also offered in another main blade option, usually a spear. For example, a CASE XX 6235 is a Jack with a Spear main blade/ pen. A XX CASE 6235-1/2 is Jack with clip main blade/ pen. As in all things CASE, there are exceptions. Hope this helps.
Beautiful knife by the way. Tempted by that one as it is my favorite CASE pattern.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

As to your question in this post...
Thanks Jerry!

Dennis
just bob

Post by just bob »

Nice knife! Good luck in your efforts. A question for my own information. On a Case knife with true appaloosa bone doesn't the pattern number always begin with the letter A ? I have seen a lot of Case bone with brilliant undertones, but my understanding is that unless they begin with the letter A they are not appaloosa bone. Is that correct? Are there exceptions?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

On a Case knife with true appaloosa bone doesn't the pattern number always begin with the letter A?
I didn't know that Bob. Perhaps someone (Steve?) can clarify that. Attention anyone who is interested in this knife, be aware that I may have mischaracterized the bone. Once I know for sure I'll adjust the listing as necessary. If you want to make an offer you should factor that into your number.

Dennis
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

deo-pa wrote:
On a Case knife with true appaloosa bone doesn't the pattern number always begin with the letter A?
I didn't know that Bob. Perhaps someone (Steve?) can clarify that. Attention anyone who is interested in this knife, be aware that I may have mischaracterized the bone. Once I know for sure I'll adjust the listing as necessary. If you want to make an offer you should factor that into your number.

Dennis
Dennis my friend,
It is all good. Beautiful knife and if near mint well worth asking price in my opinion. It happens, no big deal.

So yes, all the official CASE “designated” Appaloosa bone model numbers start with an A for brown Appaloosa and SR (stands for Satin Rose) red Appaloosa. CASE “officially” never made an A or SR swing guard prior to pattern death after 1981’. When they revived it in the 90s’, no idea.
Consider though a pattern a maker calls a Whittler yet does not fit criteria for configuration of a Whittler? Everyone characterizes/ articulates things differently at times. That said, CASE started releasing the knives with purplish white accents (molting works for me) between 75’ to 79’ being most prevalent in 78 and 79 from my observations. Oddly most prevalent on swing guards. I might add some of the most beautiful bone for the 70’ era in my opinion.

As I said, no biggie in my opinion. GREAT KNIFE at a FAIR PRICE IMO!

Hope this helps.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

just bob wrote:Nice knife! Good luck in your efforts. A question for my own information. On a Case knife with true appaloosa bone doesn't the pattern number always begin with the letter A ? I have seen a lot of Case bone with brilliant undertones, but my understanding is that unless they begin with the letter A they are not appaloosa bone. Is that correct? Are there exceptions?
That’s my understanding also. I’ve seen knives that had light color flecks in the bone, especially near the bolsters, but weren’t stamped with an A in the pattern number. These weren’t part of a manufacturing run meant to be true Appaloosa bone knives. They just turned out that way, with the lighter coloring probably being exposed during halting. By which time the knife is already assembled with blades stamped without an A. Despite having some characteristics of Appaloosa bone appearance, these wouldn’t be “official” Appaloosa bone.

Probably splitting hairs though because the finished product has an Appaloosa bone look, even though the pattern number doesn’t say so. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Price reduced to $100 shipped.
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Good information and a really nice knife!
Freedom Ain't FREE....
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Giving this one a bump. Now $100... thanks.

Dennis
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hey Dennis, great looking knife... ::tu::
Would you want to trade for it?
I got a new in box, all wrapped up, with original papers, Winchester Burnt Orange bone Cheetah. I bought 2 of them from the bay. I can let one go.
Sellers pics,
I think these were made in 1994, i'll have to check.
Willy
Attachments
Winchester USA W 15 19109 1_2 1994 BO Burnt Orange Bone Coke Bottle Swing Guard 001.jpg
Winchester USA W 15 19109 1_2 1994 BO Burnt Orange Bone Coke Bottle Swing Guard 005.jpg
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

I just looked how much she cost me...ouch. $140 us plus shipping.
I think i'll hang on to it this time. Both are brand new never used/carried/handled except by me. Something happened in the factory when they were assembling one of them. They over pinned the guard, to tight. So it splays out ward edge side. I'll have to probably get him repined. But then it is not factory. What to do... ::hmm::
Again i love your knife.
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Would you want to trade for it?
Really like the Winchester Willy but I'm looking to sell in order to build up my grubstake for the big NCCA show in Mystic, CT later this month. That said, if I drop the price a tad more ($95) might that tip the scales for you?

Dennis
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

I hear ya man, same situation here...only so much dough to go around.
Hmmmm, i am very tempted...have to have a good think.
Thanks
Winston Churchill

deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

I'm giving this one a final bump. Any takers at $90 shipped? Thanks,

Dennis
mumblypeg

Post by mumblypeg »

I'll take it. PM sent
Richard

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”