Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
User avatar
94 Winchester
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Contact:

Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby 94 Winchester » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:10 am

Hello fellow knife collectors and all the AAPK Members. Great site and proud to have become a new member and participant in what you all are doing here for the love of all things to do with collecting pocket knives.

Pictured below is one of a few different Display Cases I have designed and am making available to the Members here at AAPK. It is my take on and is built in the tradition of the Old General Store Counter Top Displays from the early 1900’s

I am a retired cabinet and furniture maker who got interested in knife collecting about 15 years ago. Was not happy with what was available for displaying my collection, so these pieces below were born out of my love of cabinetmaking and the need for a good looking and authentic way to enjoy my collection.

Anyway, I am new to the Member Stores and Forums, so I thought I would start real slow, learn the ropes and get my feet wet. But most importantly to get your folks feedback on what you see. So I welcome anything you guys have to say or thoughts. The Good and the Bad………..All comments and thoughts are welcome.

You can get the complete description and additional information at my Member Store at the following link;
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/94winchester
IMG_2821.JPG
IMG_2822.JPG
IMG_2830.JPG
IMG_2837.JPG
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/94winchester

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 8593
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby kootenay joe » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:36 am

Welcome 94Winchester !
Good looking display case. Looking forward to seeing you partake in some of our knife discussions.
kj

User avatar
94 Winchester
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Contact:

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby 94 Winchester » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:05 am

Thank You KJ,
Will keep my eyes on the various forums and topics and throw in my two cents if I ever think I can add any value or knowledge to the discussion

User avatar
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 8604
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:20 am
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby Paladin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:02 am

Very handsome display and ::welcome:: . The one on the crawl at the top of the page caught my eye right off the bat.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

User avatar
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:36 am

94 Winchester wrote:Hello fellow knife collectors and all the AAPK Members. Great site and proud to have become a new member and participant in what you all are doing here for the love of all things to do with collecting pocket knives.

Pictured below is one of a few different Display Cases I have designed and am making available to the Members here at AAPK. It is my take on and is built in the tradition of the Old General Store Counter Top Displays from the early 1900’s

I am a retired cabinet and furniture maker who got interested in knife collecting about 15 years ago. Was not happy with what was available for displaying my collection, so these pieces below were born out of my love of cabinetmaking and the need for a good looking and authentic way to enjoy my collection.

Anyway, I am new to the Member Stores and Forums, so I thought I would start real slow, learn the ropes and get my feet wet. But most importantly to get your folks feedback on what you see. So I welcome anything you guys have to say or thoughts. The Good and the Bad………..All comments and thoughts are welcome.

You can get the complete description and additional information at my Member Store at the following link;
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/94w ... G_2837.JPGhttp://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/94winchester


Very nice looking display case. Welcome to the forum and to the retail side of AAPK. I would like to ask, how are the knives held in place in this case? And, do you have any that would accommodate more knives? Sorry if this is answered in the link up above.
SSk (Mark)
“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs

User avatar
4ever3
Posts: 582
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:31 pm
Location: Ok

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby 4ever3 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Beautiful work!
Got Sowbelly's ?

jsteely@cox.net

User avatar
mumblypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:30 pm
Location: Piney Woods of Northeast Texas

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby mumblypeg » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:17 pm

Nice display, does it drop in back to gain access to the knives?
Richard

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

User avatar
94 Winchester
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Contact:

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby 94 Winchester » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:12 pm

Paladin wrote:Very handsome display and ::welcome:: . The one on the crawl at the top of the page caught my eye right off the bat.

Ray

Thank you Ray for the welcome. Glad to be a part of this community of knife collectors. I think the crawl feature is great !! Not so much to sell a lot of stuff but to let people looking know that there a lot of options out there what ever their need might be.

Thanks Again,
Lonnie

User avatar
94 Winchester
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Contact:

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby 94 Winchester » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:36 pm

mumblypeg wrote:Nice display, does it drop in back to gain access to the knives?


Hello Richard,
The Clear Acrylic dust shield just sits in a cradle above the knives. It has a brass knob that will let you just lift the glass out from the display to access the collection.

Thanks for the question, Hope the answer makes sense
Lonnie

User avatar
94 Winchester
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Contact:

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby 94 Winchester » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:08 pm

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
94 Winchester wrote:Hello fellow knife collectors and all the AAPK Members. Great site and proud to have become a new member and participant in what you all are doing here for the love of all things to do with collecting pocket knives.

Pictured below is one of a few different Display Cases I have designed and am making available to the Members here at AAPK. It is my take on and is built in the tradition of the Old General Store Counter Top Displays from the early 1900’s

I am a retired cabinet and furniture maker who got interested in knife collecting about 15 years ago. Was not happy with what was available for displaying my collection, so these pieces below were born out of my love of cabinetmaking and the need for a good looking and authentic way to enjoy my collection.

Anyway, I am new to the Member Stores and Forums, so I thought I would start real slow, learn the ropes and get my feet wet. But most importantly to get your folks feedback on what you see. So I welcome anything you guys have to say or thoughts. The Good and the Bad………..All comments and thoughts are welcome.

You can get the complete description and additional information at my Member Store at the following link;
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/94w ... G_2837.JPGhttp://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/94winchester


Very nice looking display case. Welcome to the forum and to the retail side of AAPK. I would like to ask, how are the knives held in place in this case? And, do you have any that would accommodate more knives? Sorry if this is answered in the link up above.


Hello Sharpnshinyknives,
Thank you for your question. Another Member asked this exact question on another forum. I gave a real detailed answer, along with previewing some other displays I will be offering in the months ahead. Those other cases will display up to 30 knives, so you might be interested in looking at those.
I am going to direct you back to the Forums Page and have you drop down to the "SPECIALTY FORUM: NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENTS & REVIEWS" Click on the "Pocket Knife Display Case" Topic. When you get there scroll down to my response to QUICKSTEEL.
Anyway not trying to confuse, you but you will get alot of info from that post and reply. If you get side tracked and can't locate the post, come back here and I will definitely repost that answer for you.
Thanks again for the welcome and your question
Best Regards,
Lonnie

User avatar
94 Winchester
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Contact:

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby 94 Winchester » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:47 am

4ever3 wrote:Beautiful work!


Thank you 4ever3 for the thumbs up. Appreciate your comment very much

Best Regards,
Lonnie

User avatar
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:54 am

94 Winchester wrote:
4ever3 wrote:Beautiful work!


Thank you 4ever3 for the thumbs up. Appreciate your comment very much

Best Regards,
Lonnie



Lonnie, thank you for the answer. I read the description. My only concern is the metal pins. I wouldn’t want to place knives that could slide over metal when you pick them up or take them out or even if you are just moving the display case. Have you considered using some kind of non metallic pins? Nylon, plastic or something coated with a soft material. Metal on metal doesn’t work for me. Will be interested in reading your answer.
Thank you.
SSk (Mark)
“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs

User avatar
mumblypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:30 pm
Location: Piney Woods of Northeast Texas

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby mumblypeg » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:36 am

94 Winchester wrote:
mumblypeg wrote:Nice display, does it drop in back to gain access to the knives?


Hello Richard,
The Clear Acrylic dust shield just sits in a cradle above the knives. It has a brass knob that will let you just lift the glass out from the display to access the collection.

Thanks for the question, Hope the answer makes sense
Lonnie


OK, I see the brass knob now ::dang:: Nice work.
Richard

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

User avatar
cudgee
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 am
Location: Victoria. Australia.

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby cudgee » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:15 am

mumblypeg wrote:
94 Winchester wrote:
mumblypeg wrote:Nice display, does it drop in back to gain access to the knives?


Hello Richard,
The Clear Acrylic dust shield just sits in a cradle above the knives. It has a brass knob that will let you just lift the glass out from the display to access the collection.

Thanks for the question, Hope the answer makes sense
Lonnie


OK, I see the brass knob now ::dang:: Nice work.

Have you changed your avatar?

User avatar
94 Winchester
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:46 am
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Contact:

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Postby 94 Winchester » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:33 am

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
94 Winchester wrote:
4ever3 wrote:Beautiful work!


Thank you 4ever3 for the thumbs up. Appreciate your comment very much

Best Regards,
Lonnie



Lonnie, thank you for the answer. I read the description. My only concern is the metal pins. I wouldn’t want to place knives that could slide over metal when you pick them up or take them out or even if you are just moving the display case. Have you considered using some kind of non metallic pins? Nylon, plastic or something coated with a soft material. Metal on metal doesn’t work for me. Will be interested in reading your answer.
Thank you.


Hello again Sharpnshinyknives,
I am glad you found your way to that Reply Post and got an answer to how the knives in the display below are helped to stay in position. The small brass pins really don't touch the knife in any way and are not used to pin the knife in position. They are spaced about 1" apart in the back of the display and stand above the surface only about I/8" So the knife just sits between the pins and there is no contact with the knife. They only serve to keep the knife from sliding left or right if the display is bumped or jarred by accident. The slope of the display and the weight of the knife really keeps the knife in place. If the knife is forced to move, it only moves until it makes contact with the pin and then only touches the liner, never the blade or handle. The brass alloy is so soft that it would never make any mark or scratch on metal or brass liners. Ummmmmmmmmmm I hope this explanation makes the answer a little clearer, but it might be one of those situations where you would have to see the case loaded with knifes to see the simplicity and way the knife displays in this particular case.

But thank you for taking the time to ask this question and tracking down the other post to get some clarity. I hope this reply makes it a little clearer.

One last thought that came to me, I keep my eyes open to the ways current manufacturers market and display there knives. Just to get ideas to help me build a better display case. The Mother of all knife makers today "CASE KNIVES" has a standing display and they hold there knives in position with a high power magnet behind the blade tang to hold there display knives in place. I thought that was a great idea and employed it in my WINCHESTER CASE, second picture below.

Best Regards,
Lonnie
IMG_2821.JPG
IMG_2500.JPG


Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: big monk, Kai76, ratlesnake75 and 32 guests