Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
94 Winchester

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Post by 94 Winchester »

cudgee wrote:
mumblypeg wrote:
94 Winchester wrote:
Hello Richard,
The Clear Acrylic dust shield just sits in a cradle above the knives. It has a brass knob that will let you just lift the glass out from the display to access the collection.

Thanks for the question, Hope the answer makes sense
Lonnie
OK, I see the brass knob now ::dang:: Nice work.
Have you changed your avatar?

No, still the Cowboy aiming the 30/30 Winchester as the Bear comes round the rock ::groove::
94 Winchester

Re: Pocket Knife Display Case / 1920's Style Old General Store Counter Top Display

Post by 94 Winchester »

cudgee wrote:
mumblypeg wrote:
94 Winchester wrote:
Hello Richard,
The Clear Acrylic dust shield just sits in a cradle above the knives. It has a brass knob that will let you just lift the glass out from the display to access the collection.

Lonnie
No still the Cowboy and the Bear ::groove::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

94 Winchester wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
94 Winchester wrote:
Thank you 4ever3 for the thumbs up. Appreciate your comment very much

Best Regards,
Lonnie

Lonnie, thank you for the answer. I read the description. My only concern is the metal pins. I wouldn’t want to place knives that could slide over metal when you pick them up or take them out or even if you are just moving the display case. Have you considered using some kind of non metallic pins? Nylon, plastic or something coated with a soft material. Metal on metal doesn’t work for me. Will be interested in reading your answer.
Thank you.
Hello again Sharpnshinyknives,
I am glad you found your way to that Reply Post and got an answer to how the knives in the display below are helped to stay in position. The small brass pins really don't touch the knife in any way and are not used to pin the knife in position. They are spaced about 1" apart in the back of the display and stand above the surface only about I/8" So the knife just sits between the pins and there is no contact with the knife. They only serve to keep the knife from sliding left or right if the display is bumped or jarred by accident. The slope of the display and the weight of the knife really keeps the knife in place. If the knife is forced to move, it only moves until it makes contact with the pin and then only touches the liner, never the blade or handle. The brass alloy is so soft that it would never make any mark or scratch on metal or brass liners. Ummmmmmmmmmm I hope this explanation makes the answer a little clearer, but it might be one of those situations where you would have to see the case loaded with knifes to see the simplicity and way the knife displays in this particular case.

But thank you for taking the time to ask this question and tracking down the other post to get some clarity. I hope this reply makes it a little clearer.

One last thought that came to me, I keep my eyes open to the ways current manufacturers market and display there knives. Just to get ideas to help me build a better display case. The Mother of all knife makers today "CASE KNIVES" has a standing display and they hold there knives in position with a high power magnet behind the blade tang to hold there display knives in place. I thought that was a great idea and employed it in my WINCHESTER CASE, second picture below.

Best Regards,
LonnieIMG_2821.JPGIMG_2500.JPG

Thank you again for the explanation. I like the idea of magnets better. I sometimes have to move all my knives to a safe place when certain family members come over and I wouldn’t want to be sliding the knives on metal. I know that knives move unless you can keep everything perfectly level, which is doubtful for me, so I’m thinking ahead a bit about what happens when I have to move the cases. Thank you again for taking the time to respond. I like what I am seeing here.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
94 Winchester

Post by 94 Winchester »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
94 Winchester wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

Lonnie, thank you for the answer. I read the description. My only concern is the metal pins. I wouldn’t want to place knives that could slide over metal when you pick them up or take them out or even if you are just moving the display case. Have you considered using some kind of non metallic pins? Nylon, plastic or something coated with a soft material. Metal on metal doesn’t work for me. Will be interested in reading your answer.
Thank you.
Hello again Sharpnshinyknives,
I am glad you found your way to that Reply Post and got an answer to how the knives in the display below are helped to stay in position. The small brass pins really don't touch the knife in any way and are not used to pin the knife in position. They are spaced about 1" apart in the back of the display and stand above the surface only about I/8" So the knife just sits between the pins and there is no contact with the knife. They only serve to keep the knife from sliding left or right if the display is bumped or jarred by accident. The slope of the display and the weight of the knife really keeps the knife in place. If the knife is forced to move, it only moves until it makes contact with the pin and then only touches the liner, never the blade or handle. The brass alloy is so soft that it would never make any mark or scratch on metal or brass liners. Ummmmmmmmmmm I hope this explanation makes the answer a little clearer, but it might be one of those situations where you would have to see the case loaded with knifes to see the simplicity and way the knife displays in this particular case.

But thank you for taking the time to ask this question and tracking down the other post to get some clarity. I hope this reply makes it a little clearer.

One last thought that came to me, I keep my eyes open to the ways current manufacturers market and display there knives. Just to get ideas to help me build a better display case. The Mother of all knife makers today "CASE KNIVES" has a standing display and they hold there knives in position with a high power magnet behind the blade tang to hold there display knives in place. I thought that was a great idea and employed it in my WINCHESTER CASE, second picture below.

Best Regards,
LonnieIMG_2821.JPGIMG_2500.JPG

Thank you again for the explanation. I like the idea of magnets better. I sometimes have to move all my knives to a safe place when certain family members come over and I wouldn’t want to be sliding the knives on metal. I know that knives move unless you can keep everything perfectly level, which is doubtful for me, so I’m thinking ahead a bit about what happens when I have to move the cases. Thank you again for taking the time to respond. I like what I am seeing here.
You might keep an eye out for some other displays I will be posting in the months to come. They display 28-30 knives in a flat or very slight slope to the case. With a crushed velvet lined bottom as the only surface the knives will rest on.

I very much appreciate your question and interest in my work.

Very Best Regards,
Lonnie
mumblypeg

Post by mumblypeg »

cudgee wrote:
mumblypeg wrote:
94 Winchester wrote:
Hello Richard,

Lonnie
If you mean me, you're thinking of a different mumblypeg. Believe his name is Ken, spells his with "ley". We are both from Texas, though. ::groove::
Richard

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

That explains it. Thought i was going "Ratty". ::tu::

Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”