My favorite

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My favorite

Post by Mossdancer »

Hey All;
This one isn't fancy, he wasn't a bladesmith but for a millright with none of the tools of trade in the 1940's he knew what he wanted and built it with what was available. A planer blade a grinder an elkhorn and some initiative. Darn nice knife. Got the info from his wife, he passed in the seventies.
W.B.
Attachments
40's homemade.JPG
40's homemade.JPG (111.08 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

cool, did he make the sheath as well?

johnnie
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Handmade

Post by Mossdancer »

The lady didnt say but it is sewn with a type of wax string. And the pattern seems to bring back memories of High School crafts some years later. Thats about my best answer.
W.B.
tobyrogers

Post by tobyrogers »

I would rather have one like that than ten of the new high tech super steel junk that they sell today.Great knife.Arnold
TOB9595

Post by TOB9595 »

VERY NICE
And
LOTS OF SOUL that goes with it
TOm
GOD BLESS AMERICA
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My favorite

Post by doglegg »

I especially like the was he used the antler fork as kind of a guard. Cool knife.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Beautiful little knife and a tale to go along with it! The wax string is probably from one of those leather sewing tools they used to advertise in sports magazines. I have a couple of them and they work great for sewing up sheaths. I've repaired a few using one. I also like the nub on the stag;makes a perfect thumb rest. I re-did some steak knives in stag and one has a similar handle that is perfect for me;a left hander.
Attachments
SheffieldSteakKnives 005.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Very nice touch K7K. ::nod:: Millwrights can build anything and his knife does have soul ::tu:: ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Thank you for the nice words. The original post as you see is from at least 12 years ago. I remember it well and I am sure I still have the knife. It is probably in a bin in storage. When and if I find it I will bring this forward again and try to show it a bit better photos.
I will end by saying that there are such fantastic knife makers currently that it is hard to make up your mind what to spend even a few bucks on. I do admit that I don't care for the fantasy type blades that seem to be in vogue now. As the statement goes though whatever blows your hair back.
moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Very nice knife; it has real charm. ::tu::
Re- the thread: probably linen fiber from the flax plant. Folk working in leather back in the day would twist as many strands as they wanted, or none, as the case may be, then drag it across a cake of bees wax until it had a waxy feel, before sewing the sheath, belt, or whatever. Now I think most people use a synthetic like nylon. The sheath-making members here know about all that.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

You knifers who are following this will really appreciate the following. Because of its coolness and along with the knowledge of who made it makes it quite possibly the most important piece in my entire collection. Bill was not only a great knifer he was also an artful joke master. Bill is most likely yuking it up with other passed AAPKers as we speak of him. I think most of you knew him as El Lobo. If not you do now.
moss
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0002.JPG
PICT0003.JPG
PICT0004.JPG
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Moss, That is some great stuff you have . My opinion of the steel, is that it is probably W-2 or A-2. I tried to drill a hole in one years ago and never did get it done! tough stuff!. That was before I had a Paragon oven to anneal it. The old timers had a way though, probably used a bucket of ash or vermiculite to slow cool it. The antler knife would come under the classification of "folk art" I like it. You don't see things like that everyday. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

To all:
Thanks for replies along with a salute for your service.
moss

"I Stand For Our National Anthem"
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Geeze WB...I never saw this post years ago ,,, 1st I seen it now...
I sure remember the day you emailed me and told me Bill had died,,,
remember that WB,,,it really rattled our cages to the core it did...
hope ya still got both knives ,,,hope ya have a good summer down at the docks as well Mossy

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”