Puukko

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
jmh58

Re: Puukko

Post by jmh58 »

DSC04016.JPG
DSC04001.JPG
Enzo.. Reindeer horn and oak.. John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A beautiful knife. Congrats. ::tu::
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Quick Steel wrote:A beautiful knife. Congrats. ::tu::
Thanks Garry!! ::handshake:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a very finely finished puukko by Todor Hristov in Bulgaria. The handle is a rather dark blue Alder burl and spalted Beech. Steel is stainless N690co with a 'rhomboid' grind (thickest at 'ridge' running length of blade about 1/4 way down from spine. Overall length is a little over 9.5" with the handle being a bit longer than the blade which is 'correct' for a puukko. Blade edge is very sharp.
kj
Attachments
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG
004.JPG
004.JPG (59.91 KiB) Viewed 5044 times
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a Puukko made some years ago in Rovaniemi, Finland. Just under 7" OAL, the 3" blade was made by Veikko Hakkarainen and the handle was made by Lauri Tuoteet.
V.H. was (now deceased ?) a very highly respected Finnish 'smith' who also made completed knives. The ones i have seen have stacked birch bark handles. This knife which has a V.H. blade has a solid wood handle which is not as 'fancy' as a birch bark handle.
Am i correct that a knife fully made by V.H. is considered more collectible than one that was completed by L.T. ?
Please comment if you are familiar with V.H. knives and those completed by L.T.
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (18).jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I now have this knife i show above. I am not particularly impressed. Veikko Hakkarainen is said to be one of the best Finnish smiths of all time.
The blade is certainly scary sharp, it can split hairs. And it has the proper Tommi rhomboid cross section, thickest about 1/4 way down from spine.
I think it is the handle that spoils the knife. It is too short, 3 3/4". Blade is 3". Most puukkos have a long handle, about 4 1/2". There is no guard so the extra length adds a bit of safety. And finally: sheath is too big, knife falls out. It should 'snap' in and need a good pull to extract it.
Still, not every puukkophile gets to own a "V.H." blade.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3699.JPG
IMGP3700.JPG
IMGP3701.JPG
IMGP3702.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a knife i just received that i think is fantastic.
8" OAL, stacked birch bark handle with a shield image applied. The blade looks never used. The tip comes to a real point. I think the writing on the flat is "Kauhava" which is city in Finland famous for puukko manufacturing. I cannot read the signature in the fuller.
The sheath is pressed cardboard and in perfect condition which is rare. Even the image of the Finnish flag is completely intact.
The use of cardboard to make the sheath suggests this was made during WW II, i.e. a knife of approximately 75 years. Very rare to find one of these unused.
Hoping to learn from comments of puukkophiles,
kj
Attachments
IMGP3748.JPG
IMGP3749.JPG
IMGP3750.JPG
IMGP3751.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote:Here is a very finely finished puukko by Todor Hristov in Bulgaria. The handle is a rather dark blue Alder burl and spalted Beech. Steel is stainless N690co with a 'rhomboid' grind (thickest at 'ridge' running length of blade about 1/4 way down from spine. Overall length is a little over 9.5" with the handle being a bit longer than the blade which is 'correct' for a puukko. Blade edge is very sharp.
kj
I like this knife very much. It obviously takes the concept to a really beautiful custom level. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: I think that the 'dangler' system of sheath attachment to one's belt is a superior method in many ways. Most sheaths do not orient themselves well at all when sitting, in most situations.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yep, dangler sheath, driving in my truck i do not even notice that i have a knife in dangler sheath on my belt. It just naturally stays out of the way.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a most 'powerful' knife and although not a true puukko design it was made by Heimo Roselli, perhaps the most famous Finnish smith alive today.
Heimo has been forging knives since 1976 and has developed his own 'Wootz' which he calls "UHC" for Ultra High Carbon. This steel gets tempered to an Rc of 66-68 !
This is the H.Roselli "Hunting Knife" with UHC steel. It came from a USA company called "Bush Smarts.com". They discard the very nice Roselli sheath and put the knife in a sheath they designed which is sewn with steel 'thread' so that blade is less likely to cut through.
9" OAL, 4" blade.
A fixed blade user knife does not get any better than this.
kj
Attachments
IMGP4020.JPG
IMGP4021.JPG
IMGP4022.JPG
IMGP4023.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Wow Roland that is quiet a tour. That blue one takes the cake but they are all really nice. I learn more and more.
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Stop with the puukko photos fellas. Thats a style of knife I don't have and now I want one at a time when I shouldn't be spending more money. :mrgreen:
Seriously though those are all beautiful knives, thanks for giving us a look.
Greg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is one stalwart knife kj. Looks like it could skin a rhino. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

QS, now that you mention it, the knife looks like a rhino.
And sunknife, it is not the looks that make these knives a 'must have' for a knife lover. It is how incredibly well they cut that makes them a 'must experience'.
You can get decent inexpensive puukkos from Kellam knives or Ragnar's Forge. You will love using it.
kj
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Thanks for the info KJ. I took a look at some of the knives on those dealers websites and a lot to like there. I'm thinking a puukko may be in my future plans when I'm ready to add another fixed blade knife to the collection.
Greg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Although not a puukko, the Swedish Mora knives are also incredible. Same price as a Rough Rider knife ! $15 will buy a basic super sharp GREAT user knife. It's ridiculous really. They should be banned. How can anyone justify buying a BRK for say $250 or a custom F.B. for say $500, when a $15 knife cuts just as well ?
Mora knives destroy the myth that price is connected to cutting ability.
I am mention Mora knives here because many of us are not aware of knives from Scandinavian countries (Norway & Sweden) or from Finland. If you love knives then discovering these will bring you much joy.
kj
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Have long been a fan of Mora. Wonderful knives. A few months ago I gave one away leaving me with one. Thinks its time to get another.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Thinks its time to get another"
Yes, and your budget won't even notice the expenditure.
kj
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mora probably delivers more bang for the buck than any other brand. Then what? Maybe Opinel.
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

I only have a few puukkos. Here is one that is unique. A Norwegian friend gave me. Maple burl and whale tooth. If you know what the maker mark is let me know.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Sorry, if you click on the pic it turns the right way. The makers mark looks to be RA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What a super nice knife ! I have a similar pattern knife made by Pasi Jaakonaho a mastersmith in Finland. The maker's marking is very clear on your knife. Someone will recognize it.
I would like to see all of your Puukko and Scandinavian knives. I hope you will post them here, even ones you might consider 'ordinary'. This one you have just posted is a real gem. I would like to know the maker too.
kj
Edit to add: on page 3 of this thread, towards bottom of page is a list of all Finnish puukko makers. You might find his initials there.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is my knife made by Pasi J.
It can do anything/everything.
kj
Attachments
IMGP4299.JPG
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Lovely knife KJ. Very similar. I war looking for my other puukkos but can only find an American market Mora. Il continue to look. Pete
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

an excellent documentary film on making a Finnish puuko.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLnqr6IGVgs

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”