Puukko

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
jmh58

Re: Puukko

Post by jmh58 »

WOW!! Some REAL FINE Puukkos yinz are showin!! ::ds:: YES SIR!!! ::nod:: ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Calvin that's a very fine knife ! Such clean elegant & strong lines and the Tommi design of rhomboid in cross section. I think the Finns perfected the Fixrd Blade and your puukko is fine example of this perfection. (even though it comes from Bulgaria)
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thank you, Roland; be sure to watch the film. :lol:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I did watch the video. My life feels almost as frustrating as that fellow's. My fridge door just fell off (bottom hinge issue). Life is not as smooth when your fridge door is on the floor.
Calvin, for interest what is: length of blade, length of handle and weight of puukko ?
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

kootenay joe wrote:I did watch the video. My life feels almost as frustrating as that fellow's. My fridge door just fell off (bottom hinge issue). Life is not as smooth when your fridge door is on the floor.
Calvin, for interest what is: length of blade, length of handle and weight of puukko ?
kj
Roland, you live in Canada. Just put you stuff up in a tree so a bear won't get it and you will be OK. ::nod:: ::nod::
Really, I am sorry about your fridge, hate it when things break. ::td:: ::td::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks DL. It's too warm for the tree trick. I have the door on a wood block so it is in place on the fridge but to open it it goes back onto the floor. In all my 72 years, never had this happen before.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I received this today from maker. Curly birch, bone, and possibly some sort of white plastic. About 8 1/8 inches overall. The blade has that rhomboid feature with the spine not being the thickest part of the blade. I am really impressed with this knife.
Notes from maker: "Puukko Hunting Knife with 4" Kustaa Lammi blade. Todd Marks: I have been making and collecting nordic knives now for over 10 years. Your blade was one of the last batches made from Mr. Lammi before he passed some years ago. I had it for quite some time and wanted to make this one special ...as a tribute to him. So i took my time and crafted it and it sat in the showcase for a few years. 2014 was when it was made. I haven't made any more knives as of late and decided it was time to clear out the showcase and replace the knives with Indian artifacts and other historical stuff found with my metal detector. I mainly sold my knives to other distributors and rarely sold any of them on ebay. This really is a nice piece and sad to see it go, but at the same time, i am glad someone else has the joy of using it as it was meant to. That was the last one until i get my shop set back up from moving."
puukko001.jpg
puukko002.jpg
k3.jpg
k4.jpg
k5.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Cal, that is an exceptionally fine looking pukko, a real beauty. ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I showed the 2nd knife some years ago.

IMG_2751.jpg
Attachments
IMG_2749.jpg
IMG_2752.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Wow! beautiful knives! Did they use silver on the sheaths or nickel (German) silver? or sometimes both off and on?
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

If my memory is not misleading me, I do recall that their metal sheaths were often sterling silver.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Kuusta Lammi is to Finns what Loveless is to American knife collectors, simply The Best.
Calvin how did you find this knife maker ? What an amazing opportunity.
I hope you use it, maybe on some fresh caught fishes, and then some green brush twigs in way of your tent, and then cut that old polypro rope for tying the tarp, and, and, then after a bunch of usings come back to town and tell us if it still is a good knife.
Mr. Lammi will be happy in Heaven: "Oh, look, that mortal is using a blade i made. Can't wait to talk to him. Hey Pete is he on today's list ?"
kj
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

That is a real beauty, ToungeRiver!

Here is one that Pasi Hurttila made for me, hand forged damascus. Pasi uses very few power tools.
aapkph.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Another beauty! I don't have stacked bark or damascus in puukkodom (yet).
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Questions. How is it pronounced? poo ko, or poo oo ko?
And what is it? Some say "knife with a wooden handle." I see a vast number of styles or patterns, a few of which have wooden or bark handles. I see the term 'puukko' used to describe almost any kind of knife from Europe, much less Scandinavia, much less Finland.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Acccording to a recording courtesy of google, a Finn pronounces it like ....poo a cow. For myself, I'll just continue with poo ko. The Sami people developed several belt knives, the smallest being the pukko.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a fantastic knife that is not a full puukko. The blade is all puukko, forged by Altti Kankaanpaa an old highly regarded Finnish smith. The handle was made by a knife maker in North Carolina. The blade is 4 1/8" and the handle a full 5" is very comfortable in hand. This long handle enables one to apply more pressure on the blade if needed. Handle is comprised of: brass, stacked leather rings, buffalo horn and "leopardwood".
This handle makes the knife heavier than a true puukko which is lighter in weight with a plain handle, oval in cross section & no guard.
The sheath can be worn as a dangler or on the belt. The snap in fit of the knife is more 'positive' than i have ever experienced. There is an audible 'click' as the knife seats itself. Although only the very end of handle is exposed, and the fit is snug, i can still extract the knife easily. The quality of this sheath is as good as any i have ever owned. It is right up there with a Bob Dozier(not the shop knives, but the ones Bob makes himself) or Burt Foster made sheath. I have never had a better sheath.
Knife maker did not charge me enough. After receiving this knife i suggested he immediately double his prices. Buyers will still be thrilled.
A big Thanks to Calvin for telling me of this knife maker who is selling on ebay.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5234.JPG
IMGP5235.JPG
IMGP5236.JPG
IMGP5237.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Interesting to me is how the maker gently curved the handle to meld with a lower guard. I prefer a lower guard on the appropriate fixed blade which of course the traditional puukko does not have. I think the maker's treatment of that handle/guard fixture is exceptional. And of course the entire knife is a beauty. ::tu:: :) ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks. How the handle works/feels in hand is also quite exceptional. It just naturally sits with palm swell centered in my hand with good balance and blade in a position to use.
There is more to a handle than good workmanship. You need some sort of talent that enables you to know how to create a natural fit; design is 'everything'.
kj
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Hey Cal (tongueriver), could you re-post the pic of your Western 68BG that you posted back in 2012?

You used pukebucket back then so the pic is gone.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

zzyzzogeton wrote:Hey Cal (tongueriver), could you re-post the pic of your Western 68BG that you posted back in 2012?

You used pukebucket back then so the pic is gone.
PM sent.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a puukko made by Finnish smith Rauno Vainionpaa. OAL 6 7/8" with 4" handle and 2 7/8" blade. The sheath is sturdy and well formed. The snap in fit is tight, need to pull while wiggling handle in a rotating movement to extract the knife. Very secure and not a quick draw !
This knife is pure essential puukko: a small plain knife with oval handle which is longer than blade, no guard, forged blade with no secondary grind needed to form the very sharp edge. They edge hold for a long time.
Dangler sheath with a small knife like this never gets in the way making this The Perfect EDC.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5337.JPG
IMGP5338.JPG
IMGP5339.JPG
IMGP5340.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Roland, I like the size and the handle and the sheath. That is a perfect little carry knife. ::nod:: ::tu::
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WOW!! Yinz are showin some F.I.N.E. PUukkos!!!! ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

kootenay joe wrote:Here is a puukko made by Finnish smith Rauno Vainionpaa. OAL 6 7/8" with 4" handle and 2 7/8" blade. The sheath is sturdy and well formed. The snap in fit is tight, need to pull while wiggling handle in a rotating movement to extract the knife. Very secure and not a quick draw !
This knife is pure essential puukko: a small plain knife with oval handle which is longer than blade, no guard, forged blade with no secondary grind needed to form the very sharp edge. They edge hold for a long time.
Dangler sheath with a small knife like this never gets in the way making this The Perfect EDC.
kj

That is a beaut!
Makes me want to go and build one.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”