Puukko

This forum is for discussing and showing off anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
jmh58
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Puukko

Postby jmh58 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:20 pm

WOW!! Some REAL FINE Puukkos yinz are showin!! ::ds:: YES SIR!!! ::nod:: ::tu:: John :D
..a great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!

Son.. You need to get off the front porch once in a while!!

Not all who wander are lost!!!

All it takes is a little bit of sharp!!

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:58 pm

Calvin that's a very fine knife ! Such clean elegant & strong lines and the Tommi design of rhomboid in cross section. I think the Finns perfected the Fixrd Blade and your puukko is fine example of this perfection. (even though it comes from Bulgaria)
kj

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby tongueriver » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:04 am

Thank you, Roland; be sure to watch the film. :lol:

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:36 am

I did watch the video. My life feels almost as frustrating as that fellow's. My fridge door just fell off (bottom hinge issue). Life is not as smooth when your fridge door is on the floor.
Calvin, for interest what is: length of blade, length of handle and weight of puukko ?
kj

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby doglegg » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:39 am

kootenay joe wrote:I did watch the video. My life feels almost as frustrating as that fellow's. My fridge door just fell off (bottom hinge issue). Life is not as smooth when your fridge door is on the floor.
Calvin, for interest what is: length of blade, length of handle and weight of puukko ?
kj

Roland, you live in Canada. Just put you stuff up in a tree so a bear won't get it and you will be OK. ::nod:: ::nod::
Really, I am sorry about your fridge, hate it when things break. ::td:: ::td::

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:47 am

Thanks DL. It's too warm for the tree trick. I have the door on a wood block so it is in place on the fridge but to open it it goes back onto the floor. In all my 72 years, never had this happen before.
kj

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby tongueriver » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:12 pm

I received this today from maker. Curly birch, bone, and possibly some sort of white plastic. About 8 1/8 inches overall. The blade has that rhomboid feature with the spine not being the thickest part of the blade. I am really impressed with this knife.
Notes from maker: "Puukko Hunting Knife with 4" Kustaa Lammi blade. Todd Marks: I have been making and collecting nordic knives now for over 10 years. Your blade was one of the last batches made from Mr. Lammi before he passed some years ago. I had it for quite some time and wanted to make this one special ...as a tribute to him. So i took my time and crafted it and it sat in the showcase for a few years. 2014 was when it was made. I haven't made any more knives as of late and decided it was time to clear out the showcase and replace the knives with Indian artifacts and other historical stuff found with my metal detector. I mainly sold my knives to other distributors and rarely sold any of them on ebay. This really is a nice piece and sad to see it go, but at the same time, i am glad someone else has the joy of using it as it was meant to. That was the last one until i get my shop set back up from moving."
puukko001.jpg
puukko002.jpg
k3.jpg
k4.jpg
k5.jpg

Quick Steel
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Cal, that is an exceptionally fine looking pukko, a real beauty. ::tu::
"Life is good if you don't weaken." AG Russell

Quick Steel
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:25 pm

I showed the 2nd knife some years ago.

IMG_2751.jpg
Attachments
IMG_2749.jpg
IMG_2752.jpg

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby tongueriver » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:48 pm

Wow! beautiful knives! Did they use silver on the sheaths or nickel (German) silver? or sometimes both off and on?

Quick Steel
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:12 am

If my memory is not misleading me, I do recall that their metal sheaths were often sterling silver.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:10 am

Kuusta Lammi is to Finns what Loveless is to American knife collectors, simply The Best.
Calvin how did you find this knife maker ? What an amazing opportunity.
I hope you use it, maybe on some fresh caught fishes, and then some green brush twigs in way of your tent, and then cut that old polypro rope for tying the tarp, and, and, then after a bunch of usings come back to town and tell us if it still is a good knife.
Mr. Lammi will be happy in Heaven: "Oh, look, that mortal is using a blade i made. Can't wait to talk to him. Hey Pete is he on today's list ?"
kj

Montanaman
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Montanaman » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:08 pm

That is a real beauty, ToungeRiver!

Here is one that Pasi Hurttila made for me, hand forged damascus. Pasi uses very few power tools.

aapkph.jpg
Kris

"A knife is a tool, and if we don't treat our tools with a certain familiar contempt, we lose perspective"
R.W.L

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby tongueriver » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Another beauty! I don't have stacked bark or damascus in puukkodom (yet).

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby tongueriver » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Questions. How is it pronounced? poo ko, or poo oo ko?
And what is it? Some say "knife with a wooden handle." I see a vast number of styles or patterns, a few of which have wooden or bark handles. I see the term 'puukko' used to describe almost any kind of knife from Europe, much less Scandinavia, much less Finland.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”